autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's been your bigest game changers? And why?

Wall mount garage vac.

I hate shop vacs, their terrible shirt hoses and the fact they wheel around and you trip on them.
    Hate getting out, plugging it in, setting it up, etc.

This solves all that.

Vacuuming is now one of my favorite things

2. Likes BudgetPlan1, bill walsh, SNP209 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    So on that Ryobi, you can simply buy your own spray gun and replace that silly rifle looking 1 it comes with right?

It’s kinda weird how most of the reviews on Amazon completely rip it.
    I spent a long time just using the gun it came with. Are there better ones out there? Sure! But not doing a ton of pressure washing, I just couldn't justify the money.

I did ask for/get an MTM gun and stainless quick connect setup for Christmas (or my birthday, or both, I can't remember); they're definitely nice. I still just use the silly looking rifle one at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I always feel like it's a crapshoot with those cheapo pressure washers whether the next time I pull it out if it's going to work. I think I learned here that the important thing is to turn off the water and run it dry before you put it away, so it doesn't rust up while it's sitting. Doesn't matter if you are going to use it frequently, but I might use mine and then not use it for a couple years. I think there's also some corrosion inhibitor you can put in them for storage.
    I'd be leery to run it dry as you'd think that would cause internal wear. My impression is it's probably all brass inside. When my old one finally dies I'll probably take it apart just to see what it looks like inside.

I don't use mine a ton for car washing (handful of times a summer), but I do use it probably twice a year for pressure washing the outside of the (whole) house so it gets some hours clocked on it. Ryobi makes a 16' extendable thing for pressure washing houses - so much better than being out there on a ladder getting the high up stuff. Sure a higher pressure/volume unit would probably get the job done faster than the lil guy, but with the pressure blast being 16' away the 1800 psi is enough of a workout for me!

Other than bringing it in from freezing I didn't do anything special for storage or maintenance on the last one. Basically I figured I paid $33 a year to have a pressure washer, if it lasted longer than that (which it has) - great. I did get a bottle of conditioner to use for the new one when I know it's gonna be sitting idle. We'll see how this one goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    I'd be leery to run it dry as you'd think that would cause internal wear. My impression is it's probably all brass inside. When my old one finally dies I'll probably take it apart just to see what it looks like inside.
    Maybe that was a poor choice of words, I just run it for a few seconds after the water is disconnected, I think--I haven't used mine in a few years. Maybe I'm not even remembering that right, maybe I'm thinking about priming it by running water through it before plugging it in. I remember I had a Karcher I used once and put it away and took it out the following year and it didn't work, maybe I got advice here about how to keep them working. I went through a Karcher or two and the one I have now is a Black & Decker, I presume I got it at Home Depot, I've had it a lot longer than the Karcher(s).

Oh, I guess I've had that B&D for 12-ish years: Karcher local repair is a JOKE...

Thanks on the tip for the house washing extension.

5. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I never had luck with Karchers. I think my current one is a Walmart special. It still worked last time I checked.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Question on the Ryobi 1800 Psi . . . can it use their siphon hose? I know on some of their cordless models there's a siphon hose available to allow using a container of water vs direct hose hookup. For those of us living the high rise life sometimes the maintenance folks are cool and let you connect up and sometimes not - so being able to use a ~5 gallon bucket as an option for the water source really helps. Right now the folks here are cool and even have a small collection of older cars they keep on the lowest floor where I can go but would like to have that option of a 'standalone' source. If not for this model any recco's on a similarly performing option that can do both direct-to-faucet as well as draw from a siphon? TIA.

Post Thanks / Like

Wall mounted pressure washer inside my garage.
    AR630TSS with 100 foot hose on a cox reel.

Master blaster with 35 ft hose on cox hose reel awesome for cracke, crevices, wheels, and tires

Ego 56v leaf blower great for large panels

Good seat for cleaning wheels etc (I have a newer version from HF)

Meg Hyper wash
    MF madness wash mitts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_in_Chicago View Post
    Question on the Ryobi 1800 Psi . . . can it use their siphon hose? I know on some of their cordless models there's a siphon hose available to allow using a container of water vs direct hose hookup. For those of us living the high rise life sometimes the maintenance folks are cool and let you connect up and sometimes not - so being able to use a ~5 gallon bucket as an option for the water source really helps. Right now the folks here are cool and even have a small collection of older cars they keep on the lowest floor where I can go but would like to have that option of a 'standalone' source. If not for this model any recco's on a similarly performing option that can do both direct-to-faucet as well as draw from a siphon? TIA.
    Yes there are allot of detailer that use it with a couple feet of gravity. So needs a fuller tank or a small 12 volt pump.
    5 reasons why the Ryobi 1800 psi pressure is the best choice for mobile Detailers - YouTube

10. Thanks Karl_in_Chicago thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just did a truck today using the airless on tires. I can do 4 in less than a minute.

What's been your bigest game changers? And why?-right-truck-jpgWhat's been your bigest game changers? And why?-airless-jpg.
    Replacing Chemical Guys VRP For The Ultimate Exterior Dressing - YouTube
    I usually can't stand Willson's but this was related to what I've been doing.
    https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...sing/scp0/f781

12. Likes Daviddear30 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What are you spraying on the tires, Dana? I know back some years ago Optimum was recommending that method to apply Opti-Bond, they were even selling a gun they thought was best for that, they might even have been selling it here at Autogeek.

Edit: Here it is, they have it set up so you can screw it onto a quart bottle of Opti-Bond

14. Likes Daviddear30, DanaDetailingPros liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I Use Tire kicker by Chemical guys. It's Cheep and I'm it really does a great Job! It separates in the gallon but they claim it's a water based.
    This was the first time I tried it and it took some adjusting. But I fly through them now.
    airless for truck tires - YouTube

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast