autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gloss black IROC-Z attacked by a rotary..

Quote Originally Posted by Eric7810 View Post
    Here I am at 16 with my first car..Gloss black IROC-Z attacked by a rotary..

‘86 Z28 - 305 carb 5spd

Awesome!

2. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    What '81-'82 GM car wasn't a dog? They were struggling with the new EPA regs and trying to get the CCC/MCS carbs to work. That might have gone on thru '83 & '84 where everything was a dog until they started with the MFI in '85.
    I was referring to the TA's with the 301 turbo. 81 (and maybe 80, too?). I remember test driving one years ago and it just seemed terrible, even for the era. The turbo V6's Buick put in the T-Type and GN/GNX were much better than that 301CU Pontiac.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job.

My first car was an 87 IROC w/ 350.
    Biggest POS. I was a dumb 16yr old and all I thought was "Big V8, good."
    Transmission went out about a month after I bought it, suspension was completely worn out, engine rarely ran good, was missing rear sway bar., tires were trash.....and the beat goes on.
    That car turned me off Chevy ever since even though I didn't do my homework on it.

My Aunt/Uncle on the other hand also had an 87 IROC, but theirs was pristine.
    When they sold it a few years ago it had something like 15k miles. Sat in the garage on carpet squares most of it's life.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Odrapnew View Post
    Nice job.

Transmission went out about a month after I bought it, suspension was completely worn out, engine rarely ran good, was missing rear sway bar., tires were trash.....and the beat goes on.
    That car turned me off Chevy ever since even though I didn't do my homework on it.

When they sold it a few years ago it had something like 15k miles. Sat in the garage on carpet squares most of it's life.
    The 87 was rare with the 350 because it was put in the car late in the model year.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    The 87 was rare with the 350 because it was put in the car late in the model year.

Interesting, I didn't know that.
    Mine was still a POS.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job.

Yeah, but that's the thing, some other 16 yo had that car before you and beat the crap out of it--that happened to all the Z-28's and Trans Ams. I remember looking into the service area at the Pontiac dealer and virtually every car up on the lift was a Trans Am, blown trans, etc.

8. Likes Odrapnew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Yeah, but that's the thing, some other 16 yo had that car before you and beat the crap out of it--that happened to all the Z-28's and Trans Ams. I remember looking into the service area at the Pontiac dealer and virtually every car up on the lift was a Trans Am, blown trans, etc.
    Oh, that I know.
    It was ~10yrs old when I bought it and I'm pretty sure it went through every MN winter since new.
    As they say, it was ridden hard and put away wet.
    I should have known better when the used car dealer put up a huge stink about letting my mom take it for a test drive because the dealer 'didn't have insurance on it.'
    Live and learn.

Sorry Eric about derailing the thread, just brings back (bad) memories.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Eric about derailing the thread, just brings back (bad) memories.
    I'm waiting for Eric to tell us HIS Z-28 stories.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post

It was 86 that the 350 got dropped in the IROC and some Trans Ams in very very small numbers. 87 got it as an option out of the gate I believe. There seems to be more 87 f-bodies with 350s than 305 when looking around. They were always a year at least behind the Corvette. Vette got the crossfire injection in small numbers in the last of the 3rd gen Vettes didn't they? 82? Then the F-bodies got it in small numbers in 82 in a 305. Vette got the 5.7 crossfire in 84, then TPI 350 in 85 while the F-bodies got the 305 with TPI as an option only with the auto trans that year. 86 there was a limited run of 350s for the f-boys and in 87 it went full option. 92 Vette got the LT-1 and F-boys got it in the new 4th gen in 93. Vette got the LS1 in 97 and F-boys got it in 98. Always de-tuned from the Vette all those years.
    I think it wasn't till the last decade they kept some of the power the same in the mills right?? The LT4 was 650hp across the board right (Vette ZL-1, CTV)? And some other mills.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it was always like that, Silly Rabbit, you couldn't show up the 'Vette. It was mentioned in this thread about T/A's, but in another thread we were talking about that GNx with the ceramic turbo and the published HP was way less than actual because the actual was higher than the Corvette. They used to make up stuff in the 90's about why the Firebird HP was less than the Corvette, "more restrictive intake" etc. I thought about buying one of those sleeper Formula's with a 6-spd in the late 90's, gas station I went to had one that the owner was selling on consignment, he said it was the quickest car he'd ever driven.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast