autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gloss black IROC-Z attacked by a rotary..

Quote Originally Posted by Eric7810 View Post
    Here I am at 16 with my first car..Gloss black IROC-Z attacked by a rotary..
    Oh boy, that sounds like trouble. Polishing that IROC must have brought back some memories.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Rabbit View Post
    I think it went to Dodge then and they had an IROC Daytona??
    I think I remember that...or am I thinking of the GLH's that 'Ol Shel did for them? For a while I wanted one of those Daytona's, whether it was the IROC or the GLH.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I think I remember that...or am I thinking of the GLH's that 'Ol Shel did for them? For a while I wanted one of those Daytona's, whether it was the IROC or the GLH.
    No, your remembering it, there was a Daytona Iroc RT. 91, 92 era. They bought the licencing after GM had it. Cool little cars, a turbo 2.2 or something. They said it would do 149mph.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, but there was also the GLH, I think they started that with the Omni, Shel did it as a goof, then later they did the Daytona version, because I think that was the same car, anyway. Unless the GLH was a lot earlier, I seem to be getting my decades mixed up in my old age, it seems like there was a Shelby Daytona, also, which was different from the GLH, unless there was no GLH Daytona--yeah, I guess there was no GLH Daytona: A Rare Partnership | Dodge Garage

Post Thanks / Like

The IROC Daytona was indeed a thing, had the Lotus-developed head a d made 224 hp, same engine that was in the Dodge R/T. The GHL-S, both Omni and Charger body styles, used the all Mopar 2.2L turbo but was intercooler making 174 hp compared to the 150 hp of the standard GLH turbo.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't remember it being that early, and I don't remember the Riv having a turbo, unless that was a T-Type, which as I have said, I remember being later. I'm going to have to look to see if I have a '79 Riv brochure. I'm not disagreeing with you, I just don't remember it that way, of course, it was a couple of years ago. The '79 Riv was on the cover of C/D when it came out, I have that issue...somewhere.

Similarly, I remember that Indy Pace Car Replica being later in the 80's, but apparently not.
    I'm not 100% of the year for the Riveria turbo but it was the T-type and an easy was to tell a Riv T-type were amber parking lens under the headlights and special turbine wheels.

The 78' Regal and LeSabre turbos I believe were called Sport Coupes, pretty sure I'm remembering this correctly, I'm not looking it up because I wanna use my automotive brain musclesGloss black IROC-Z attacked by a rotary..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I'm not 100% of the year for the Riveria turbo but it was the T-type and an easy was to tell a Riv T-type were amber parking lens under the headlights and special turbine wheels.
    S-Type. I'm not sure why I don't remember these early Buick turbos, in my mind it was more in the GN era, but I'm obviously wrong. It's not like I was anti-turbo, I worked with a guy who had a '79 Capri with the turbo, and for a while my dream car was an '80 Cobra with the turbo (sorry to you V-8 Mustang purists) since the '79 Indy Pace Car Replica wasn't something you could really get. The picture is from a '79 Buick brochure.

8. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DUBL0WS6 View Post
    If you finished that with a rotary that is impressive.
    I definitely tried, with a Flex cordless rotary and waffle jeweling pad, but I couldn’t make it work.

I wanted that bragging right, I’m not gonna lie. Gloss black IROC-Z attacked by a rotary..

Finished with the Flex Cordless gear driven on speed 3 with an LC force Red pad and 3D One.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric7810 View Post
    I definitely tried, with a Flex cordless rotary and waffle jeweling pad, but I couldn’t make it work.

I wanted that bragging right, I’m not gonna lie. Gloss black IROC-Z attacked by a rotary..

Finished with the Flex Cordless gear driven on speed 3 with an LC force Red pad and 3D One.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you for the correction, to make it more confusing they did use T-type on the Rivs in the mid 80'sGloss black IROC-Z attacked by a rotary..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Thank you for the correction, to make it more confusing they did use T-type on the Rivs in the mid 80'sGloss black IROC-Z attacked by a rotary..
    No thanks required, I didn't remember an S Type either, and by the mid-to-late-80's they had a T-Type of every model, as I recall. I remember getting to take a long test drive in a LeSabre T-Type, but that's a long weird story. Buick really was doing cool stuff back in that era when Lloyd Reuss was GM, I wonder what would have happened to the company if he hadn't been passed over to replace Roger Smith, in favor of Bob Stempel, who didn't last long in the job. Of course Reuss might have been ousted too, for decades GM was dominated by bean counters, at least they are back to having a car gal as CEO.

Hey Eric, sorry we're thread-jacking you to reminisce. You should tell us about your Z-28.

12. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast