autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do you do to make your Wheel Cleaning Easier

Re: Black Wheels + stuff thrown at it

IME , the paint on wheels just sucks these days....chips by just looking at it wrong.
    Powdercoat in Black is finitely less prone to see the usual rock chips one may see in a painted factory wheel

There is alot more to wheels in color that gloss or matte black....

I don't have any full pics but this is one of my go to color ways. It's finished in semi. Lots of metallic flake that pops in the sun but slight color shift in overcast

Dropbox - IMG_0583.jpeg - Simplify your life

Post Thanks / Like

BillD -

I was putting a clean sleeve onto the Barrel Blade and never noticed this until now....
    It's not just a MF sewen to fit onto a sleeve....aside from the snap buttons to adjust the length.
    Never picked up on this detail but the inside of the sleeve is not MF/cloth but there is a sewed nylon material on the inside of the sleeve.
    I posted this before but it appears it's been thought out from the ground up and it's just a MF thrown onto a rod with a handle....

I am looking at other MF materials now on a typical rod to supplement my stash.....I do find it does supplement a wheel mitt for many-multi spoke design wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely keep me posted about what you find and how you make out. Thanks!
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
    Re: Black Wheels + stuff thrown at it

IME , the paint on wheels just sucks these days....chips by just looking at it wrong.
    Powdercoat in Black is finitely less prone to see the usual rock chips one may see in a painted factory wheel
    What kind of wheels are you seeing chipping? If you are talking about diamond etched wheels with a clear-coat, I whole heartedly agree (the other thread you started on a similar topic). If it you are talking about a wheel that is totally painted with no exposed metal, I've never seen one chip with the OEM or aftermarket wheels I've used. To include my race wheels which see plenty abuse in poorly surfaced parking lots.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I think:feel all the water based paint is crap these days...
    So even just painted barrels, painted spokes of a machined feel wheel is SUS.

For example. the 1st thing I generally do on a new car is take the smaller stock OE wheel and convert them to dedicated snows.
    I've seen clear *chip off* on the lip on a wheel with maybe 10 miles on the odometer, on big nice rubber headed *safe* tire demounters....

Non water based painted wheels or just non water based paint is stronger than the water based stuff IME

Post Thanks / Like

I must Not be using Iron Remover as Often as I should

I really only use it at end of season - wheels off deep clean sessions - and maybe once mid cycle when summer tires are on between March-Nov.
    And or if I took a extended multi day trip where it racked up miles

Normally, washing wheels with leftover shamoo and hitting it with Iron cleaner shows zero purple....

The comment on soft pad material and it leaving a film that needs to be -hand scrubbed- that a HP rinse won't even shift.
    I did do an Iron cleaner session recently and HP rinse. No scrubbing...
    While it did leave a film on the barrels since I did not spray into there, I was pleasantly surprised the faces and spokes and such was very clean after a HP rinse with not even a trace of film left on the surface that needed to be mechanically washed.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a power washer, bought a gun, and I’ve ordered a gallon of Brown Royal Wheel Cleaner.
    I’m sick of scrubbing wheels. My goal is to be able to do wheels & tires touchless from now on. I should know for sure next time this BMW comes around for its usual maintenance wash.

8. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m all for touchless wheel cleaning as well. Life is so much easier and simpler that way. Brown Royal is on my to get list.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen the way......and or need to do more reading on coatings, and real world feedback on using a Thioglycolate Cleaner on them consistently, etc. If the findings/readingss says it doesn't faze the coating much.....I might as well use it on every other car wash - cars get's washed weekly so let's say 2X a week.....

It's as if the clouds disappeared from the sky and the wheel angels have sung
    I was never an Iron Wheel user on semi consistent basis - as IME, when I have cleaned it with just shampoo, rinsed....and then spray the Iron remover just to see, there was ZERO purple going on....

But to just spray, dwell and HP rinse and not even having to take a mitt and seeing its results, Priceless
    And this was used with a 40 degree tip........unlike some reply on this thread or another where someone recommend a 0 degree Cutting tip

Post Thanks / Like

I just did a test on these wheels which hadn’t been cleaned in about 2 months using Meguiars Citrus All Purpose Cleaner straight undiluted and just spraying it with the power washer and they’re pretty much fully clean no scrubbing.

After rinsing with the 15 degree tip. Even the barrels are clean.
    I’m not wasting my time using wheel brushes anymore.What do you do to make your Wheel Cleaning Easier

12. Likes bill walsh liked this post
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast