autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Love Bug season approaching any Advice?

Here is the deal I live out in the country. Just driving 2 miles away from my home is enough to be covered with those damn things. Since I take care of two cars any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, washing two cars everyday is not an option.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Love Bug season approaching any Advice?

If you keep a good layer of LSP (whether it's wax or sealant) it always makes it easier to remove them. Try the Poorboys Bug Squash, mix it 3:1 with water and the bugs will drip off.

Also, there's a product called Bug Blocker from Diamondite that they were actually giving away bottles of at Detailfest III. I picked up a bottle and plan to use it before long trips once lovebug season starts here. Diamondite Bug Blocker is the only product that provides an easy on easy off coating which shields impacted flying insect residue away from vehicle To me, if it works as advertised, the only downside is that you have to remove it within 24hrs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brace1 View Post
    If you keep a good layer of LSP (whether it's wax or sealant) it always makes it easier to remove them. Try the Poorboys Bug Squash, mix it 3:1 with water and the bugs will drip off.

Also, there's a product called Bug Blocker from Diamondite that they were actually giving away bottles of at Detailfest III. I picked up a bottle and plan to use it before long trips once lovebug season starts here. Diamondite Bug Blocker is the only product that provides an easy on easy off coating which shields impacted flying insect residue away from vehicle To me, if it works as advertised, the only downside is that you have to remove it within 24hrs.
    My GF is away at University which is about 250 miles away. In the summer when I go visit her, I hit a TIN coat of Bug Blocker over the front end and mirrors. When I arrive, first thing I do is hit the front end with PB BS 3:1, let it dwells for 2-3 minutes then pressure wash it. it help ALOT

just make sure not to put too much. this thing is liquid plastic.

thank God I bought 4 bottles last summer when it was on sale

Post Thanks / Like

Bug Blocker and keeping lots of Sealant and Wax layered on the front are good ways to go. I wish it wasn't so expensive, I would do a clear bra on the front of the car. Those things are so nasty to get off, love bugs are not so lovely!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not looking forward to lovebug season either. Luckily, I won't be doing much highway driving this summer since my classes are somewhat local.

I think the easiest thing to do would be to apply Diamondite Bug Blocker and just rinse it off every night.

Last summer I was driving about 500 highway miles per week through love bug season and just didn't have the time to keep up with cleaning the car...so on weekends I would wash and re-apply a fresh coat of Collinite 845IW to the front clip, which worked out very well. A fresh coat of that stuff will hold up through a lot. Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like

Clear bra is one of the best investments (yes, I actually consider it an investment) I've made. It's nice to look at the front of the car, see where it's been hit by a rock and just wipe off the mark. I do have a stain, noticable only by me, from a bug of some kind. I think it was a mosquito b/c it left a red mark.
    07 Cosmic Blue Mazdaspeed3
    00 Black Mustang GT - Spring Ed. (for sale)

Post Thanks / Like

I use a product called Bug Guard. Spray it on the front of the car BEFORE you hit the road and begin the bug massacre. It dries on clear and will last for 30 days or until you wash your car, rinse you car or drive through the rain. All three will remove Bug Guard.

When you drive, the bugs will stick to the Bug Guard but will not penetrate through to the paint. If you are on the highway and the front of your car is a bug cemetery, just rinse off with a hose. Usually you do not need any agitation.

The website on the back is prowax.com. Cost me $13-14 at the local Mirror Glase in Louisville.

Post Thanks / Like
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like

3M Painters Tape + Car= Win

I am not the only one who does this... I see tons of blue nosed cars here at FSU.
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank god South FL doesn't have a bad love bug problem, Central FL and up is like an infestation. If I'm on St Rd 27 and heading to the lake house I'll usually follow behind one of the big rigs and let them take the brunt of the bugs lol. Last summer I was driving back from the lake and they had these damn bugs that were hitting the truck and glass like rocks making a THUD sound (very annoying going 80, like listening to a machine gun the whole way), it took me hours to get home b/c I stayed behind a big rig at like 45 mph lol.
    The real WyStang:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast