autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Recommendations for Grease in Polisher Machines

I hope you're all doing well.

I'm in the process of maintaining my polishers (Milwaukee M18 Fuel 15MM, SPTA V2, and Autobrite DA-12), and I'm a bit torn between choosing the right grease for optimal performance.
    I've been considering Super Lube Synthetic Grease, praised for its synthetic formulation and broad temperature range.
    However, there's also a group advocating for the use of Red Heavy Duty grease, specifically mentioning Lucas Oil Red N Tacky NLGI 2, for its adhesive and cohesive properties.

While I value the benefits of Lucas Oil, I'm concerned that it might be too sticky for this purpose.
    I worry that the increased resistance might cause overheating for the gears.

I'm curious to know what the experienced members of this community have to say.
    What grease do you use for your polisher machines? Are there any specific recommendations from the manufacturers?

Also, if you could share your experiences and any tips regarding the application and performance of the chosen grease, that would be immensely helpful.

Thanks in advance for your insights!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recommendations for Grease in Polisher Machines

Might find this helpful.:
    Grease for polisher

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanaDetailingPros View Post
    Might find this helpful.:
    Grease for polisher
    Thanks.
    I saw that post, but it was a while ago.

Any recent experiences with alternative greases like Super Lube Synthetic?
    Has anyone found it to be better than the typical Red Lithium Complex greases?

I'm leaning towards Super Lube mainly because the Red Lithium Complex seems excessively sticky for this application, potentially causing increased resistance and leading to overheating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by uriel250 View Post
    Thanks.
    I saw that post, but it was a while ago.

Any recent experiences with alternative greases like Super Lube Synthetic?
    Has anyone found it to be better than the typical Red Lithium Complex greases?

I'm leaning towards Super Lube mainly because the Red Lithium Complex seems excessively sticky for this application, potentially causing increased resistance and leading to overheating.
    What I use to replace the factory grease in ALL polishers!! - YouTube

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I saw that too
    But Rupes recommend Super Lube Synthetic Grease for their machines - How To Grease Your Rupes Polisher - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

AMSOIL Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease NLGI #2

AMSOIL Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease effectively reduces friction and wear, providing peace of mind that components are running clean and trouble-free for outstanding performance, long life and reduced maintenance and downtime, even in severe operating conditions. Qualified against the highest grease standards and designed for multiple-use applications, Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease provides the ultimate in protection and convenience.

PERFORMANCE FEATURES
    Composed of premium-quality synthetic base oils and calcium-sulfonate-complex thickeners, Multi-Purpose Grease provides exceptional film strength and shear resistance for exceptional component protection in severe service, while also providing superior adhesion properties to effectively resist water washout and stay in place longer. It excels in temperature extremes by providing excellent oxidation stability, high-temperature dropping point and low-temperature torque value and pumping capability. Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease is formulated with oil-soluble extreme-pressure additives for heavy loads, as well as oxidation and corrosion inhibitors to protect against the effects of corrosion.

* Resists thermal and oxidation degradation for long-term performance
    * Excellent water-washout resistance to stay in place longer
    * Outstanding low-temperature pumpability and torque value, improving cold-season operability
    * Adhesive and shear-stable to prevent squeeze out
    * Excellent load-carrying and EP performance for heavy and abusive loads
    * Application Recommendation
    * Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease is the preferred choice for a wide range of ambient temperatures, wet environments, wheel bearings, suspension systems and a variety of automotive applications.

Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease is recommended in heavy- and light-duty applications found in manufacturing facilities, automobiles, trailers and landscaping, agricultural and powersports equipment. These include, but are not limited to, roller bearings, plain bearings, thrust bearings, gears, electric motors, presses, winches, bushings, wheel bearings, chassis lubrication, universal joints, ball joints, tie-rod ends and steering knuckles.

APPLICATION MAINTENANCE
    Maintaining a clean work environment is important when equipment greasing is performed. Wipe grease fittings clean prior to injecting grease to prevent contaminant ingestion. Maintain bearing housings one-third to one-half full of grease. Do not over-grease, as excessive heat buildup can result. Supplement standard grease maintenance by periodically cleaning and packing housings with fresh grease on an established maintenance schedule.

AMSOIL PRODUCT AVAILABILITY
    Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease is available in 3-oz. cartridges, 14-oz. cartridges, 35-lb. lugs, 120-lb. kegs, 400-lb. drums and in a 3 oz. cartridge deluxe grease gun kit.

COMPATIBILITY
    Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease is compatible with many other types of greases. However, it is recommended that when changing greases, the equipment be cleaned of the old grease when possible or flushed with a liberal amount of Multi-Purpose Grease while the mechanism is in operation. Closely monitor the system for any inconsistencies. Grease compatibility questions should be referred to your AMSOIL representative or AMSOIL INC.
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

I normally wouldn't expect that this kind of application would call for a tacky grease, in my experience that's for things that can physically throw the lubricant out of what's being lubed, in this case if the grease gets flung, it's flung elsewhere inside the gearbox, where the gears would run over it in the next rotation? I guess if you could throw the grease around to where it'll never get back to the gears, then maybe tacky would help, but as I said, that's not the kind of application where I've seen tacky greases called out, which is where you have exposed spinning parts that can throw off the grease. On the other hand, I don't see the tacky grease really hurting anything, but it's been a long while since I've stuck my hands in any.

PS IMO this is really the kind of thing where you should listen to the mfr. for the grade of grease (the NLGI number), and then you can take your pick of whether you want synthetic or with moly, etc., or perhaps alien bone fragments as some coatings have

8. Likes uriel250 liked this post