autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you think of this method? GLOSS BLACK GMC

Lifted GMC came in for coating maintenance a year after application.. a very high maintenance truck.

Truck has mud tires that sling everything onto the paint. It was dirty as hell but not swirled. Needed clayed badly.

After it was dried, yes I could see ‘some’ swirls, but it’s gloss black. You see everything. I could tell water spots and contaminants were robbing its shine. That was the biggest concern.

This customer comes every year and I did not want to blow the budget by chasing scratches and then reapply a coating. I also don’t want to be polishing on this clear every.. single.. year.

After thinking, I decided to go this route..

Cordless FLEX orbital
    LC Force Red (ultra soft, no cut)
    3D Speed
    Carpro Reload

In one section pass the color was restored. The coating was perhaps saved, but I threw Reload on it to give it some extra beading action.

Customer was thrilled and I signaled to him that next year would likely be a reapplication (mud tires really beating this coating up).

What do you think about my approach?

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes Klasse Act, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do you think of this method? GLOSS BLACK GMC

Quote Originally Posted by Eric7810 View Post
    Lifted GMC came in for coating maintenance a year after application.. a very high maintenance truck.

Truck has mud tires that sling everything onto the paint. It was dirty as hell but not swirled. Needed clayed badly.

After it was dried, yes I could see ‘some’ swirls, but it’s gloss black. You see everything. I could tell water spots and contaminants were robbing its shine. That was the biggest concern.

This customer comes every year and I did not want to blow the budget by chasing scratches and then reapply a coating. I also don’t want to be polishing on this clear every.. single.. year.

After thinking, I decided to go this route..

Cordless FLEX orbital
    LC Force Red (ultra soft, no cut)
    3D Speed
    Carpro Reload

In one section pass the color was restored. The coating was perhaps saved, but I threw Reload on it to give it some extra beading action.

Customer was thrilled and I signaled to him that next year would likely be a reapplication (mud tires really beating this coating up).

What do you think about my approach?
    Did you end up claying?

Id be curious to do a maintance wash on the truck after a few months to verify the approch of using speed didnt hinder the coating.

If the customer was estatic then thats what matter most.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I clayed the lower halves of the doors, roof and hood. Light marring that my red pad with speed took care of.

It was a job that I did my best when it came to delivering on without blowing the budget with the customer.

And you’re right, he was thrilled with the approach I took and the result.

He appreciated that I didn’t hose him on a correction and coating and understands that next year will call for that.

5. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO you're better best and approach would be a light polishing pad, GYEON Primer, hit it quickly, wipe it down, and apply CanCoat EVO. Product is more important than the pad but I tend to use light polishing pads a lot. Reload is temporary, even the new version. CanCoat will last 12-18 months with ease. I use it as my topper when doing spring clean ups and cars come back still going strong after a full year or more.

Hitting it with Primer every year with a few quick passes will achieve great results, not hurt a thing, and will lay down a base coat of protection that, when CCEVO is applied, makes the applications stronger and goes by super fast.

That's my nickels worth.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

7. Thanks opie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    IMO you're better best and approach would be a light polishing pad, GYEON Primer, hit it quickly, wipe it down, and apply CanCoat EVO. Product is more important than the pad but I tend to use light polishing pads a lot. Reload is temporary, even the new version. CanCoat will last 12-18 months with ease. I use it as my topper when doing spring clean ups and cars come back still going strong after a full year or more.

Hitting it with Primer every year with a few quick passes will achieve great results, not hurt a thing, and will lay down a base coat of protection that, when CCEVO is applied, makes the applications stronger and goes by super fast.

That's my nickels worth.
    So primer wouldnt remove or hinder the base coating? Ive never used primer or similar product.

Edit:i take that back i tried dr beasleys 95 and 45 last yearand did not like!

Is primer similar in regaurds to grippyness on surface when polishing, terrible wipeoff?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah my experience is any polishing will remove some/all coating. I was suprised at how easy a week old CqUk3 was removed after a week. I did use Essence (not +).

Hotting with CanCoat would make sense to me

Post Thanks / Like

This truck had CquartzUK applied over a year ago. Honestly, the best route would have been to reapply the whole truck, but the owner wouldn’t have been thrilled.

The owner comes back regularly for a detail but in the meantime treats the truck like dog s***.

Here’s a photo of what it looked like when it arrived. How could any coating last when treated this way? He literally stored his truck through the winter this way and brought it straight to me.

I was in for a challenge no matter what route I went.

Post Thanks / Like

What a shame, those model year denali trucks are about the only good looking ones of the "newer" gen silverados imo.

Im really interested in this idea of buzzing over a year or two old coating with this gyeon primer, and topping with ccevvo. I have ateast two that are not really taken care of throughout the year that sounds like they could benifit from this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    So primer wouldnt remove or hinder the base coating? Ive never used primer or similar product.

Edit:i take that back i tried dr beasleys 95 and 45 last yearand did not like!

Is primer similar in regaurds to grippyness on surface when polishing, terrible wipeoff?
    Primer is a polish and base layer of protection. It's super easy to work with and wipe off. Just tick above HD Speeds which to me is the gold-standard in sealants for ease of wipe off. Using Primer makes for much easier application of GYEON's coatings overall. Do a panel with it and another without, you'll see what I mean.
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

13. Thanks opie thanked for this post
    Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric7810 View Post
    This truck had CquartzUK applied over a year ago. Honestly, the best route would have been to reapply the whole truck, but the owner wouldn’t have been thrilled.

The owner comes back regularly for a detail but in the meantime treats the truck like dog s***.

Here’s a photo of what it looked like when it arrived. How could any coating last when treated this way?

I think a big part of what consumers and many detailers forget is coatings are not force fields. If he's coming back asking how the coating isn't protecting, show him this picture and ask him if being blasted with mud and dirt over time isn't akin to abrading the product off, although more slowly than working with a pad and polisher. It's the constant wearing of the surface by rain, snow, dirt, etc., that's literally wearing down the micron-thick coating. Again, they aren't force fields.

I do PPF, and people with black cars don't realize PPF has a clear coat that needs protection too. It will also get "sandblasted" over time just like the clear coat that came with their car. As do windshields. Think about that.....how hard is glass vs paint and yet it gets sandblasted and abraded when driving? Well, that also applies to coatings.

Drive a Porsche 911 only on sunny, dry days, and that coating will last on those side panels for years in comparison to one that is daily driven.

I hope this helps and adds a bit of context to the topic.

15. Thanks Eric7810 thanked for this post
    Likes Eric7810 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast