autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic Coating - Maintenance Polish ?

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    I know im not eric, but if i may ask you... what would be your thought behind pricing those two(pure vs mohs) differently? I dont do this as an actual business, so i dont offer a slew of coating options. Its usually either can coat or currently mohs.

I have armour detail supply quartz on the way to test out as a possible replacement for mohs or addition to. Ill decide after i use it for a bit.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    When I got certified I asked one of the instructors how he charged more for a “5” year coating as opposed to a “3” year coating when the cost to install is virtually the same. He told me that the customer is paying for the extra longevity and I went with that at the time. After a while it didn’t sit right with me and I changed my pricing scheme. These days I pretty much do Mohs or if someone wants to try to get a little more longevity I can do an additional layer or CSL + EXOv5. With that I can justify charging more because it’s more product and labor.I pretty much now base pricing on what it costs me to install and not some theoretical longevity claim.

2. Thanks opie thanked for this post
    Likes Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Grime View Post
    When I got certified I asked one of the instructors how he charged more for a “5” year coating as opposed to a “3” year coating when the cost to install is virtually the same. He told me that the customer is paying for the extra longevity and I went with that at the time. After a while it didn’t sit right with me and I changed my pricing scheme. These days I pretty much do Mohs or if someone wants to try to get a little more longevity I can do an additional layer or CSL + EXOv5. With that I can justify charging more because it’s more product and labor.I pretty much now base pricing on what it costs me to install and not some theoretical longevity claim.
    Perfect. Excatly how i do it, charge for product and labor.

Business near me just started into coatings after getting certified, with jade coatings. Now ive never used jade, only know of them because of mike G.

But they had the shpeal about how you can up your resale value cut it can go on your carfax or something....what a crock of crap imo. I have a fealing some folks are going to be getting ripped off

4. Likes Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Perfect. Excatly how i do it, charge for product and labor.

Business near me just started into coatings after getting certified, with jade coatings. Now ive never used jade, only know of them because of mike G.

But they had the shpeal about how you can up your resale value cut it can go on your carfax or something....what a crock of crap imo. I have a fealing some folks are going to be getting ripped off

The trend near me is to offer these 8 and 9 year coatings knowing damn well these coatings will only last that long if the car is immediately put into a plastic bubble and never touched again. Unfortunately most customers only know the marketing hype they see in YouTube videos and don’t know what to really expect from a coating and eat those “deals” up. I had a guy come ask me last weekend if my coatings were 9H. I flat out told him that was marketing BS but all of the questions he had were made it obvious that he was caught up in the hype. I haven’t heard from him since, even though he lives in my neighborhood so I’m just gonna assume he went with someone that will overpromise and under deliver.

6. Likes Eric7810, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The way I land so many coating deals is by simply being honest. I don’t make wild claims about what it protects against, or get involved in that carfax BS (pointless).

Another belief people have that I’ve been asked about is whether the vehicle must have ‘perfect paint’ before applying coating because ‘you wouldn’t want to lock in the scratches right?’

I always dispel the myth of ‘perfect paint’

Heck, I had a guy with a 2012 Chevy Colorado come in for a coating and he simply wanted it protected. I could’ve hosed him. Instead after a brief conversation I agreed to a price of $660, gave him a one step correction and coated it. The truck was transformed and I was done in four hours. Lots of deep flaws remained but the owner had the ‘10 foot perspective’ I explained and he left happy as hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes opie, BudgetPlan1, DanaDetailingPros liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Grime View Post
    When I got certified I asked one of the instructors how he charged more for a “5” year coating as opposed to a “3” year coating when the cost to install is virtually the same. He told me that the customer is paying for the extra longevity and I went with that at the time. I pretty much now base pricing on what it costs me to install and not some theoretical longevity claim.
    Perfect. Exactly how i do it, charge for product and labor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric7810 View Post
    The way I land so many coating deals is by simply being honest.
    Kudos to you guys for your ethics...did I just coin a new phrase? Coating ethics?

10. Likes DanaDetailingPros liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanaDetailingPros View Post
    Ask?
    No worries! Yes, I'm a female but don't take any offense to people assuming I'm a male as I'm sure a majority of people on here are male.

12. Likes DanaDetailingPros liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric7810 View Post
    I focus on ease of maintenance, and boosted shine.

I remind them ceramic coating is the best and most durable form of protection they can buy for their vehicles, and that 1.5 to 2 years can be expected for life span, but encourage them to come back to me before then for their vehicle to be detailed, evaluated, and rebooted if needed.

The OP is claiming his coating failed after two years or so, but I can about guarantee it didn’t. What he needed was to be educated on the way out with his new coating that it may seem one day like it has failed but it’s really contaminants that have bonded and that he needs a decon wash and perhaps a sealant added.

The coating is likely there still ready to do its job, but proper maintenance is key. I always encourage coating customers to return after a year.

A ‘five year coating’ is ALWAYS interpreted by the customer to mean they never have to see me again for five years. That understanding will always result in disappointment from the customer when things don’t seem to last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for your input! How would you approach this with the detailer when I've had a decon wash done through them every year at least once a year? I also regularly go back to them to hand wash the car. I'm definitely going to call and let him know that I don't think that Essence is the way to go (at least that's what everyone on here seems to think). I'm not super knowledgeable when it comes to this area (why I posted on here) so would love your feedback on the best way to go about this where I'm happy with the outcome but also fair to the detailer.

I've also had the car looked at by another detailer who said based on how I care for my car and the low use/miles, it definitely should have lasted longer. This detailer is also the one that told me what areas are failing. He suggested I go back to the original detailer first and see what they will do.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234