autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic Coating - Maintenance Polish ?

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Not necessarily for this instance, but I think it's a mistake when detailers and manufacturers use primarily years to describe longevity. Miles matter more than years as coatings tend to wear down from abrasion as well as exposure to the elements. I also don't buy into them lasting more than 2-3 years. I market no more than 3 years or 36k when I work with people on my offerings. There are lots of variables involved, so i won't digress more here.

I'm also NOT a fan AT ALL of CarPro Essence Plus. I've used it and tested it and feel it's complete garbage. Any use of a polisher over a coating, even with that product, isn't going to yield a longer life. Even when applied by hand, that product never produced anywhere near acceptable results for me. Again, my opinion and experience with it, having tested it on my own vehicle back in the day. If they used that within their process once or twice per year on yours, then I'm not at all surprised as your results.

To answer your question, yes, it should have lasted longer, and in my experience, it would have if all that was done was a basic wash and decon. Rain and road debris will degrade the sides of the course as I've noted above, it's abrasion. However, in 11k miles.....no. Rain and dirt being left on for 1-2 months....yeah, not great, but all that's really going to do is bond a road film and some ferrous particles to the surface/coating. Yes, over time, if left, it will degrade the coating a bit. Those ferrous particles that cause rail dust spots essentially degrade and break through the coating. I have a friend, Model Y, who is white and showing signs of that, and I coated it last year. He runs it as a daily; it's winter here, and he only does touchless washes. I have no doubt a nice spring wash and decon will bring back 90% but I'll have re-top it with GYEON's CanCoat EVO to help account for those areas that have degraded due to this exposure.

In the end, to keep it short, work back with the installer to simply make it right. As a detailer, I would 100% do it when this comes up. I have no problem doing so. It's very quick and won't need the involvement of a polisher in most cases. For you, I would take that and live with it day forward for the next 1-2 years, and when you have it re-done, simply understand the above and perhaps just keep it more clean more often and skip any "polish" with Essence Plus. Again, YMMV, but I'm not a fan of that product.
    Thank you for your input and all of this information. I'm going to call the installer and let him know that I've done more research and don't feel like the Essence Plus is the right way to go and try to go the wash/decon/re-top in the failing areas route.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Grime View Post
    I’ve never used Essence but it doesn’t jive right with me either. If it’s abrasive enough to remove even light scratching, it’s abrasive enough to remove some of the coating. It sounds like a light polish that leaves behind a ceramic sealant which really makes it no more than a ceramic AIO.

I’m curious as to the owner’s maintenance routine and what products are being used. I know that he said he only hand washes it but there are a thousand different ways to wash by hand and most of them aren’t desirable. I ask all of my customers to come back after two weeks to inspect the coating and we’ll wash it together. I’ll show how to do a proper wash and show exactly what products should be used to maintain the coating and send customers with a “gift” basket to get them started. I think a lot of coating installers need to do a better job of how to maintain a coating.
    Thanks for letting me know your thoughts about Essense.

I've honestly always taken my car to get washed. Mostly back to the installer's express location for a hand wash. Or, I have someone come to my house and do a hand wash (I've asked him about his method and products).

I do wish I was give more information and/or a tutorial on how to properly wash the car after the coating, as I probably could have been doing it myself all of these years. I just didn't want to do anything wrong and ruin the coating. Yet, here I am still in this position!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric7810 View Post
    This is a prime example of why I never promise a life span to anybody who comes in for a coating.. anything that lasts more than two years on a car is truly phenomenal.

If I coated your vehicle in 2020 and you’re reaching out disappointed in its longevity then I dropped the ball communicating and setting expectations, whether daily driven or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for your input! The coating was done in 2021. I started to notice it failing at 1.5 years, but I had a baby in the NICU so a ceramic coating was the least of my concerns at the time. Still completely my fault for not notifying them sooner.

I think on top of that, the car only has 11,000 miles on it (2020 year), has always been garaged, gone for a decon wash 1-2 times/year, and has been washed properly. All these things make it not quite sit right with me.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a prime example of why I never promise a life span to anybody who comes in for a coating.. anything that lasts more than two years on a car is truly phenomenal.

If I coated your vehicle in 2020 and you’re reaching out disappointed in its longevity then I dropped the ball communicating and setting expectations, whether daily driven or not.

I’m just curious as to how you price your coatings. I’ve been thinking of dropping the pitch of selling based on claimed durability but how do you present coatings to potential customers?

Post Thanks / Like

I focus on ease of maintenance, and boosted shine.

I remind them ceramic coating is the best and most durable form of protection they can buy for their vehicles, and that 1.5 to 2 years can be expected for life span, but encourage them to come back to me before then for their vehicle to be detailed, evaluated, and rebooted if needed.

The OP is claiming his coating failed after two years or so, but I can about guarantee it didn’t. What he needed was to be educated on the way out with his new coating that it may seem one day like it has failed but it’s really contaminants that have bonded and that he needs a decon wash and perhaps a sealant added.

The coating is likely there still ready to do its job, but proper maintenance is key. I always encourage coating customers to return after a year.

A ‘five year coating’ is ALWAYS interpreted by the customer to mean they never have to see me again for five years. That understanding will always result in disappointment from the customer when things don’t seem to last.

6. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Eric,
    I'm pretty sure the OP is a female. If I'm correct KUDOS to her
    "Not to say that females can't be good at this stuff, but I'm definitely not one that's naturally inclined at any of this type of work, so would rather pay for someone to do it if that makes sense! I'm not a very good do-it-yourself person"

Post Thanks / Like

Here come the PC police lol

You pretty sure or 100%? Id let the OP make corrections if, and, or when they need be made.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Ask?

Post Thanks / Like

I focus on ease of maintenance, and boosted shine.

I remind them ceramic coating is the best and most durable form of protection they can buy for their vehicles, and that 1.5 to 2 years can be expected for life span, but encourage them to come back to me before then for their vehicle to be detailed, evaluated, and rebooted if needed.

The OP is claiming his coating failed after two years or so, but I can about guarantee it didn’t. What he needed was to be educated on the way out with his new coating that it may seem one day like it has failed but it’s really contaminants that have bonded and that he needs a decon wash and perhaps a sealant added.

The coating is likely there still ready to do its job, but proper maintenance is key. I always encourage coating customers to return after a year.

A ‘five year coating’ is ALWAYS interpreted by the customer to mean they never have to see me again for five years. That understanding will always result in disappointment from the customer when things don’t seem to last.

Thanks for the info. How do you price your different coatings, such as something like Gyeon Pure vs Mohs?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Grime View Post
    Thanks for the info. How do you price your different coatings, such as something like Gyeon Pure vs Mohs?
    I know im not eric, but if i may ask you... what would be your thought behind pricing those two(pure vs mohs) differently? I dont do this as an actual business, so i dont offer a slew of coating options. Its usually either can coat or currently mohs.

I have armour detail supply quartz on the way to test out as a possible replacement for mohs or addition to. Ill decide after i use it for a bit.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast