autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rinseless wash media: Sponge vs. Mitt

I use 6-7 microfiber towels usually. If it is a light wash I may use 3 chenille mitts. I tend to try to be as safe as possible.

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Gary Dean method and I’ve tried towels and mitts. I usually go with the towels because the mitts are heavy when you pull them out of the bucket, even if you wring them out. Plus with the towel you technically have four sides to use if you are diligent with keeping them folded.

3. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    I can't do it man. I just can't.

I tried years ago with a sponge and I hated the experience. And I really don't get how those special detail sponges with the spliced centers, do what they claim to do. Supposedly "trap" dirt inside of it. Psshh, whatever, lol. You have to apply pressure on the sponge so that those splices open up. And we know the more pressure applied to a panel the more potential chance for marring.

For many years I used those MF chenille noodle thingy mitts from CG. Worked just fine. Then I decided to try out the Gyeon MF Smoothie Mitt. Been using that now for a while and its fine too. I really have no preference between them though I think the Gyeon and its MF fibers cover more surface area and grabs more dirt then the noodle one.
    I used a chenille for a long time and still use it for dirty areas. I’ve been using the Trac mf jumbo pad ( don’t remember the name) for a couple of years and it’s been great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    I usually go with the towels because the mitts are heavy when you pull them out of the bucket, even if you wring them out.
    HUH? A wrung out wash mitt is not heavy at all. And why would that matter? Just gently glide the mitt (with no pressure) along the surface. No harm.

Personally, I remove (cut out) the foam inside of wash mitts. I just don't like how stiff it makes it feel. The plush MF fibers are more than adequate at holding sufficient wash solution alone, when carried from panel to panel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I wish I still had a link to an old video that tested many kinds of wash media under a microscope IIRC a sponge was downright scary and a mitt was the preferred. It was enough convincing to me to only use a sponge for household chores.
    Id like to see that video.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

If I ever find it again I will post it
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

8. Thanks opie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive never tried a sponge or wash mitts for rinseless. I dont "trust the science"

Ive only ever tried towels..and i love that method.

1 towel per panel(12 towels).

I also do not believe in pre treating panels b4 rinseless.

I prefer to always foam cannon and then pw off before doing a rinseless. Its gets all the contaminants off leaving only a faint road film. I have been doing this strickly for over a year now on 2 black vehicles and one silver. That coupled with 1 towel per panel I have not noticed any micro marring or anything at all.

Its the process that works for me and i enjoy it. Ymmv

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I'm talking your standard standing dirt from driving in the rain, nothing more, nothing lessRinseless wash media: Sponge vs. Mitt

I'm taking advantage of the science by pre-treating, even when it's "average dirty", works for me and I get why the rest of you guys do what you do, it's what your comfortable with, like meRinseless wash media: Sponge vs. Mitt

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    I actually do pre spray the panels with rinseless since I always keep a pump sprayer full of it, but I don’t feel like it’s an absolute must do unless the vehicle is full on dirty.

I watched a video yesterday on YT where the guy was testing several rinseless washes and following the directions and he was making a real big deal about how uncomfortable he felt not being able to pre spray. I think he was overreacting a bit. Lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    HUH? A wrung out wash mitt is not heavy at all. And why would that matter? Just gently glide the mitt (with no pressure) along the surface. No harm.

Personally, I remove (cut out) the foam inside of wash mitts. I just don't like how stiff it makes it feel. The plush MF fibers are more than adequate at holding sufficient wash solution alone, when carried from panel to panel.
    You cut the cuffs off too, right?

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been known to cut off cuffs but what I always do is label the inside of the mitt with what section of the car it goes with with a Sharpie.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast