autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Griots G9/G15/G21 & G8/G13?

Hey guys,

I had a Griots GG6 with 5" backing plate that I got a ton of use out of over the years (just as a hobbyist). I ended up selling it about 2 years ago, but luckily I kept all my Griots Boss 5.5" pads (mostly orange pads and a handful of white pads).

I'm in the market to buy another polisher(s). I'm thinking a G9 or G15/G21 paired with a G8 would be a great setup for my hobby usage. I have an F-150 and my wife has a Ford Escape (soon to be Kia Telluride), so I do have a lot polishing area to cover. Not sure if the G15/G21 would be the better option over the G9 because of this.

I've wanted a Flex 3401 for years, but for my needs I think it is probably not the right tool for the job. Rupes would be the dream setup, but I could never justify the cost for using it a handful times a year.

Which of the Griot's polishers would you go with between the G9, G15, or G21?
    Would you pair this up with a Griot's G8 or the new Griot's G13?
    Is the 5.5" backing plate still the way to go?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots G9/G15/G21 & G8/G13?

Why do you say the Flex is not the right tool for the job? I love my Flex.

Post Thanks / Like

Well...maybe it is. I'm a hobbyist and thought maybe the Flex is just too much polisher. That said I'm certainly not new to polishing so it might be good next polisher. Only problem is...am I going to have to go with all new pads with the Flex?

Also for the price of the Flex I could get both a G9 and G8. That said, the extra horsepower of the Flex would be nice.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know, I got my Flex in...2007? Long before the long-stroke polishers came out, and as a result I never got a long-stroke. You might have to get the smaller backing plate for the flex to use with your 5.5" pads, maybe not, I dunno, here's a thread about it: What backing plate and pads size for flex 3401

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong with the Griots machines at all. And yes, the FLEX has all the power.

But ask yourself this: Are you needing to do deep correction to neglected paint, or just "a tune-up" to well cared-for paint before applying your LSP?

It sounds to me that you take very good care of your paint. If you are just a hobbyist and wanting to save a few bucks (like most of us) I would go with the Griots machines all day long in your case.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

6. Likes Farmallluvr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Nothing wrong with the Griots machines at all. And yes, the FLEX has all the power.

But ask yourself this: Are you needing to do deep correction to neglected paint, or just "a tune-up" to well cared-for paint before applying your LSP?

It sounds to me that you take very good care of your paint. If you are just a hobbyist and wanting to save a few bucks (like most of us) I would go with the Griots machines all day long in your case.
    Thanks for the feedback. My vehicles are pretty well taken care of. That said, the Flex would be nice. I'd actually consider the Rupes 15 as well. I guess I'll have to do some more research and go from there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CC268 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. My vehicles are pretty well taken care of. That said, the Flex would be nice. I'd actually consider the Rupes 15 as well. I guess I'll have to do some more research and go from there.
    Be careful what you consider..

There are an army of people that experience stalling problems, breakdowns, and horrible customer service with Rupes.

Be warned….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Be careful what you consider..

There are an army of people that experience stalling problems, breakdowns, and horrible customer service with Rupes.

Be warned….

Yea the more I've read about the Rupes the more I think I'd rather go with a Flex 3401 or go back to Griots.

Can the Flex 3401 be used effectively as a "one stop shop"? Meaning can it be used for finishing (just correcting minor defects)? Or is it really just used for heavy defects? I'm honestly leaning towards the Flex 3401. I've always wanted one and there were quite a few times with my GG6 where I wish I would have had some more oomph and forced rotation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CC268 View Post
    Yea the more I've read about the Rupes the more I think I'd rather go with a Flex 3401 or go back to Griots.

Can the Flex 3401 be used effectively as a "one stop shop"? Meaning can it be used for finishing (just correcting minor defects)? Or is it really just used for heavy defects? I'm honestly leaning towards the Flex 3401. I've always wanted one and there were quite a few times with my GG6 where I wish I would have had some more oomph and forced rotation.
    Absolutely. The FLEX is the king of the hill.
    You just have to be aware that it is gear-driven and not a random orbit.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely. The FLEX is the king of the hill.
    You just have to be aware that it is gear-driven and not a random orbit.

Thanks...maybe I will go that route then.

What pads are recommended most? What size backing plate and pads?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast