autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning engine bay?

Hi everyone!

So I've always been very skeptical about cleaning an engine with water and some sort of degreaser.

But I love a clean engine bay, and our 90 7 up convertible engine bay looks horrible. Even has some corrosion. I guess because it spent most of its life out East?

I'm to the point where I want to replace parts, like valve covers, lower intake manifold, ect.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning engine bay?

2018 Colorado ZR2

3. Likes Bdubbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Most dealerships use a garden hose to clean the engine on a used car built after 2000. You will be fine with a spray bottle and rag.
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

5. Likes Bdubbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    Most dealerships use a garden hose to clean the engine on a used car built after 2000. You will be fine with a spray bottle and rag.
    I'm not sure I'll be able to get everything like I want with a spray bottle. I'll probably try that before getting brave and trying a more aggressive approach.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to be ultra careful with engine bay cleaning, but I have sort of grown out out that.

Previously, I would use something like ONR, a couple of brushes, some towels and a water-based dressing to finish off. I would apply the ONR, wipe and brush what I could access, then use compressed air to drive dust/dirt and ONR out of the hard-to-reach places. The nature of ONR means you don't need to be as thorough in removing the residue like you would with something like APC.

Compressed air is useful at getting the dressing into the all the nooks and crannies, just use a towel close to shield the surrounding paintwork and windshield from being splattered with dressing.

My current method includes running water. Depending on the vehicle, I will place a plastic bag over the alternator/fuse box/battery where required. A saturated towel is useful in keeping the bag in place as you rinse. Most modern cars have their batteries and electrical junctions well covered with plastic trim panels.

Initial rinse -

Then apply APC to the whole engine bay, including the windshield scuttle and underside of the hood.

Then scrub with an assortment of brushes. An Ez-Detail/Daytona bristled brush is priceless for this job, able to reach down and into areas where other brushes or your hands can't go. Be sure to do the underside of the hood and scuttle panel at the same time.

After scrubbing, rinse the whole engine bay down.

It's then time for a water-based dressing. I've used a variety of products on engine bays, from Carpro Perl, 303 Protectant, KCx Motorplast, Chemical Guys VRP........................but the best by far is Meguiar's Hyper Dressing. I did two engine bays this week, both times using Motorplast, but I couldn't help thinking Hyper Dressing would have performed and looked better. For engine bays, I would use either 5:1 or 6:1 ratio for a natural/OE look.

For this task, I apply the dressing generously to the whole engine bay while its still wet. You can follow up with a blower, compressed air or by running the engine for 10 minutes, but as Hyper dressing self levels, you can simply close the hood and call it good. You may find the need to give it a final wipe the next day if required.

Hope that helps.

8. Thanks Prange thanked for this post
    Likes Bdubbs, Prange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cover the electrical (battery, distributor) and filter with plastic bags. I use a little tape to form fit them.

I use a garden hose with a light mist/fan pattern that has very low pressure.

Wet down. APC of your choice at light dilution. I use Mothers wheel brush , Ez detail brushes and hand held detail brush. Same mist setting to rinse and all is good.

I don’t feel you need the pressure washer even with a low pressure tip to clean engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes Bdubbs, MisterSnoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

May have not been smart but I used a hose on my ‘94 Jag XJS engine bay with no ill effects. Miss that car.

12. Likes Bdubbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate to JINX it but I've done plenty of motors in my days and use my pressure washer. Never had to cover anything. I do however hold the wand at a good distance away!

14. Likes DFB, Bdubbs, Jackismydog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah, with an engine bay that old, i'd definitely be more concerned about connections not being water tight and covering them. spray with your APC, lightly rinse off. avoid rinsing by the battery, distributor, etc.

16. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Likes Bdubbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post
    yeah, with an engine bay that old, i'd definitely be more concerned about connections not being water tight and covering them. spray with your APC, lightly rinse off. avoid rinsing by the battery, distributor, etc.
    That's what I'm worried about as well. I'm thinking I may need to remove the upper intake manifold at minimum and replace some corroded parts. Because that's what bothers me the most...

18. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast