autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I've come to realize.......Winter Washing

I've come to realize.......Winter Washing is a whole LOT harder than warm weather washing. My Brain is just tired thinking about the next planned wash

On warm weather washing, it's the same routine. Shampoo, wash, dry.....
    Whether it be 1X a week or maybe 3X a week . And use case like tar removal, etc.

Winter washing, I'm thinking, what pre-rinse, how strong do I choose, how will it affect my LSP. Should I allocat the wash time needed to where I have XX time to add a topper.
    There's never enough time

Do I go with a lighter PH product, or tinker with a diluted ratio at 1/2, I might want to do a presoak, pre rinse, then regular shampoo or do add a topper- for the LSP since I used a high PH wash, and the long Laundry List of Questionable objectives and plethora of products to employ per wash. Am I alone in this

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I've come to realize.......Winter Washing

My process isn't that different from my summer rinseless washes really, except the fact I go to a coinwash first and get it rinsed before doing a rinseless wash back home in my unheated garage (weather needs to be hot enough so water doesn't freeze on it).

My LSP at the moment is just CarPro Elixir but next spring I'm getting CarPro UK 3.0 and I expect that to last through winters, and I'll be using Elixir at most washes when drying to top. But even the Elixir alone is pretty good, when the weather isn't warm enough to do the rinseless I still go to the coinwash for weekly rinsing, and I'm surprised how clean it looks, almost if I just cleaned it.

But yeah I agree, sometimes I do think a lot about pre-soaking with a product and planning that but it just rinses so well with nothing that I never end up doing it. I tried it once with OPC but the difference wasn't significant enough for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have high solids coatings on my full wrap PPF . Nothing IMO sticks well to ppf. Whatever applied doesn't last long - or as long as if it was on paint . So I'm using more spray-wipe products and I apply -often-.
    Hence, when I'm using a high PH, I know strong cleanings also include degradation of the LSP. Comes with the territory.

So far, one app of BH, LSP still beads nice.....for now

Post Thanks / Like

I used to be like that but as you say there’s not enough time. I look forward to being able to wash during the winter and just wash when weather and forecast allows, I save the thorough wash and planning for spring. I’m getting too old to continue to chase a clean truck and honestly the MOHS EVO or CQUK I have have on gives me confidence that it’ll hold. Don’t get me wrong I still wash when I can but the thought of it doesn’t keep me up at night

5. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
    I've come to realize.......Winter Washing is a whole LOT harder than warm weather washing. My Brain is just tired thinking about the next planned wash

On warm weather washing, it's the same routine. Shampoo, wash, dry.....
    Whether it be 1X a week or maybe 3X a week . And use case like tar removal, etc.

Winter washing, I'm thinking, what pre-rinse, how strong do I choose, how will it affect my LSP. Should I allocat the wash time needed to where I have XX time to add a topper.
    There's never enough time

Do I go with a lighter PH product, or tinker with a diluted ratio at 1/2, I might want to do a presoak, pre rinse, then regular shampoo or do add a topper- for the LSP since I used a high PH wash, and the long Laundry List of Questionable objectives and plethora of products to employ per wash. Am I alone in this
    Bilt Hamber talks about we worry to much about protecting/degrading LSP. The whole point of LSP is to protect paint and nothing protects paint more than removing the MOST debris off of paint before contact wash.

That is point of pre wash and why BH is so strong. It’s not touchless washing strong but strong.

Quit worrying about LSP and clean your car best you can. Apply LSP as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Grab some BH Touchless. I went to a DIY car wash bay yesterday, foamed BH Touchless on using my IK Pro 12. Works great.

8. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleanIT View Post
    Grab some BH Touchless. I went to a DIY car wash bay yesterday, foamed BH Touchless on using my IK Pro 12. Works great.
    That's how I used it the first time, works amazingly I've come to realize.......Winter Washing

How many ounces of Bilt-Hamber Touchless did you use and how much water?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

10. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

self-wash bays are your friend in winter. ideally for me, it's Ammo Frothe anti-salt, BH Touchless, or Griot's foaming surface wash to foam on and then rinse off when it's above freezing. Somtimes, that's my Winter clean unless I can do a follow-up wash. Start winter with your LSP in good shape and reapply in Spring if you need to.

12. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    That's how I used it the first time, works amazingly I've come to realize.......Winter Washing

How many ounces of Bilt-Hamber Touchless did you use and how much water?

I used about 7oz in the IK Pro12.

It was really the first time I got to test the cleaning power of it. Vehicle was really dirty from salt/dirt etc. Took it all off. I even used it to clean my floor mats and they came out great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleanIT View Post
    I used about 7oz in the IK Pro12.

It was really the first time I got to test the cleaning power of it. Vehicle was really dirty from salt/dirt etc. Took it all off. I even used it to clean my floor mats and they came out great.
    How much water?

2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

15. Likes CleanIT liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast