autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Why my towels become "clumped" and are they still safe to use?

I noticed some of my towels, the fibers become "clumped up" so to say and I was wondering if this is normal and if the towels is still good for use? Here is an example picture of one side of the towel VS the other. You can see how one side the fibers are more thin and they feel more soft VS the other side where is feels different and looks different.

I clean them with Rags 2 riches and don't use fabric softener. Is this just normal?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why my towels become "clumped" and are they still safe to use?

Did you wash them in hot water? Do you have a fancy washer that does that really high speed spin? I'm asking because I had some long fiber towels from MFT (they don't sell them anymore, I don't remember what they were called) that I washed along with a bunch of other towels on the super-hot sanitize cycle and then of course with the high speed spin--and they "clumped" worse than that. I'm not really sure what the culprit was, the other towels seemed unaffected.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Did you wash them in hot water? Do you have a fancy washer that does that really high speed spin? I'm asking because I had some long fiber towels from MFT (they don't sell them anymore, I don't remember what they were called) that I washed along with a bunch of other towels on the super-hot sanitize cycle and then of course with the high speed spin--and they "clumped" worse than that. I'm not really sure what the culprit was, the other towels seemed unaffected.
    Oh ok, I don't clean them on hot I just do warm water and low heat drying. I have a old Kenmore 80 series so I don't think I have high speed spinning.

I thought this was something everyone had with their towels. Maybe something is up with my process.

Post Thanks / Like

Or maybe something is up with your towels. Is it only some of them? I mean do you have a bunch of the pictured ones and only some of them are like that? Do you always wash them all together? I'm trying to remember with that problem I had, I think I had washed the towels before and not had a problem, and then I washed some of them in that load on the sanitize setting. It was a while ago so I'm a little hazy on the details, it came up in a thread on Autopia.

Before that I always washed hot and dried hot, and never had any problems. Now I tend to dry on medium, but I still wash with hot, although I have been afraid to try that super-hot sanitize cycle again. I think I used that to try to get some stains (probably black from rubber window trim) out of some different towels in the load.

Post Thanks / Like

Or maybe something is up with your towels. Is it only some of them? I mean do you have a bunch of the pictured ones and only some of them are like that? Do you always wash them all together? I'm trying to remember with that problem I had, I think I had washed the towels before and not had a problem, and then I washed some of them in that load on the sanitize setting. It was a while ago so I'm a little hazy on the details, it came up in a thread on Autopia.

Before that I always washed hot and dried hot, and never had any problems. Now I tend to dry on medium, but I still wash with hot, although I have been afraid to try that super-hot sanitize cycle again. I think I used that to try to get some stains (probably black from rubber window trim) out of some different towels in the load.
    Here's another example which is very noticeable. These purple ones are eagle edgeless 350gsm instead of 500gsm, and I use these for rinseless washing when my UBS can't be used and in this pic you can see from one side and the other similar problem.

Yeah it just happens to these eagle edgeless towels it seems like. But most of the other eagle edgeless are not clumped yet. And weirdly enough those that are clumped, it's always on one side. I have some all purpose towels to for interior and dirty work (edgeless 365) and while it doesn't clump on those, I do notice you know the plushness also has a different feel VS a new towel but that to me is normal.

Maybe the clumping in my case is also just normal towel usage? It's why I made this thread, I couldn't find other information about this and maybe I am thinking to much LOL. I dry on low. Stain don't bother me much if I don't feel anything with my fingers once cleaned. But before cleaning I always have them sitting in a 5 gal bucket with ~ 1oz of rags to riches so I think that helps to keep stains down to. And yes I do wash them altogether I can't waste time and water to separate makes no sense to me. In the end it all cleans especially with a presoak.

Post Thanks / Like

I have experienced the same phenomenon and like your case it is only one side. I would like to know the culprit as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Why my towels become "clumped" and are they still safe to use?

Yeah weird If they feel soft still I would test on a spot to see if they mar the paint. If not I would continue to use.

I would also email TRC customer service and see what they say. Let us know what there reply is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes MidnightNarwhal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Yeah weird If they feel soft still I would test on a spot to see if they mar the paint. If not I would continue to use.
    Over on the other forum people used to do "the CD test", to see if it marred a blank CD-R before trying it on their paint.

10. Likes Texchappy, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The CD test saved me in the past
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

12. Likes Texchappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Over on the other forum people used to do "the CD test", to see if it marred a blank CD-R before trying it on their paint.
    I get that but two things…. I would think cd’s would be softer than CC…. Secondly not two many peeps have CD’s nowadays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast