autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Advice Needed: Expanding My Polishes Collection

Hey everyone!

This is my first post on these wonderful forums. I've been a silent reader for years, and it's finally time to open my account and start my first thread.

As a weekend warrior and car enthusiast, I'm looking to expand my collection of compounds and polishes. Currently, I have three specific needs:

1. Light Polish without Oils or Fillers:
    I'm in search of a light polish without oils or fillers, allowing me to apply a protective coat effectively. I currently use Jescar Ultra Lock Plus for protection. I'm thinking about trying Griot's Perfecting Cream for this purpose. What are your thoughts?
    This will be used on a brand new Kia Sportage and Mazda 2.

I don't plan on polishing or correcting my car's paint too often, so I need something that will last 2-3 years in storage, allowing me to use it once a year.

2. All-in-One (AIO):
    I'm looking for a one-step product that includes some form of protection, providing a great look for my older car without spending too much time on it.

3. 1-Step Correction:
    This is usually for friends' cars that want a bit more than an "AIO." I aim to correct the paint in one step and then proceed straight to the protection step afterward.

For polishes and compounds, I've exclusively used Meguiar's (mainly Meguiar's UC and UP). As a result, I don't have much experience with other products and their cutting/polishing capabilities.

I already have a variety of pads (Meguiar's thin red, Meguiar's thin yellow, Meguiar's black pads for wax, Chemical Guys orange, white, and green). Do you think I need to buy more? If so, which ones am I missing?

Thank you very much!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice Needed: Expanding My Polishes Collection

Welcome!

When I started using a random orbital I'm 2013, I started with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish. I used them a LOT.

I've tried others and even use another line, but I've recently been using the Utimate Twins again.

In 2020 I got a part time gig that filled in the gaps of my operation. I started searching for very specific traits in my polishes. I tried many of the major lines on a variety of vehicles and a variety of pads. While I did land on the 3D line (AAT502 Finishing Polish 3D ONE "Hybrid" compound/polish, and ACA500 Xtra Cut) I still found the Ultimate Twins to be as good if not better than the other lines I tried.

They don't have the same psychological effect as the idea of purchasing something very "exclusive" or "boutique" online, like it's some kind of super secret potion that only experienced professional detailers can use.

You could add a good cleaner wax like 3D Speed, Duragloss 101, or Meguiar's M06 Cleaner Wax to the Ultimate Twins and be set.

Ultimate Polish can function as both your light Polish without "fillers. It has some oils but they shouldn't affect the bonding of the Ultra Lock Plus. Unless a wax or sealant says on the label to strip the paint before application, it's absolutely unnecessary.

Ultimate Polish is also capable of some decent defect removal too, when paired with the right pad. Something like the Buff and Shine Uro-Fiber or green Hex Logic.

I'm not sure what tool you're using, but I really liked the Hex Logic line with my Porter Cable 7424xp. I paired the green with Ultimate Compound, blue with Ultimate Polish. If I wanted more from Ultimate Polish, I used the green. I applied sealant with the red. I used black pads with the cleaner wax.

I didn't find their Orange and yellow foam to out cut the green in any situation. Because the green contoured to the panels better and was more comfortable to use, I stuck with them to cut until I purchased some microfiber pads.these days I much prefer wool to microfiber for cutting.

If want to boost the performance maybe consider the new Rupes pads. You can get a LOT of milage from just the yellow wool and yellow foam. I keep the blue wool, yellow wool, yellow foam, and white foam on hand.

I also love the HDO/SDO CCS. I use them at work.

Buff and Shine Uro-Tec yellow and white foams are great too. They make to only microfiber pad I really love, which is the Uro-Fiber. They also have some wool pads coming out that were "inspired' by the rupes version..

All of that being said, the bulk of my work has been done with 3D ONE (which could also function as your lite, medium, and heavy polish) om either Uro-Fiber or Uro-Tec yellow pads. I wish I had been keeping track on the numbers. I get a LOT of milage out of those products.

3. Likes Silly Rabbit, DFB, uriel250 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

if there's one member on here that needs no validation (on his top notch work) and uses them (the twins - perfecting and fast correcting cream) on a regular basis is Sizzle Chest.

btw, currently on GG website you can get All 4 Boss Creams for $64.99 and there is free shipping on orders over $69.
    i am the jump starter.

5. Likes uriel250 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    if there's one member on here that needs no validation (on his top notch work) and uses them (the twins - perfecting and fast correcting cream) on a regular basis is Sizzle Chest.

btw, currently on GG website you can get All 4 Boss Creams for $64.99 and there is free shipping on orders over $69.
    Not sure if I want the "fast correcting cream" as it seems to be too rough and will require another polishing step.

For the correcting cream people on Amazon say it worked well as a 1 step paint correction.
    And for the light polish the perfecting cream looks great as it has no oils or fillers.

Is the "finishing sealant" good as an AIO? Or are there better alternatives?

And one more thing I forgot - How do you usually clean glass or prepare it for sealant in case of a new car? My old car has a lot of water spots on the windshield.
    I have Meguiars G8800 kit that I bought a few years ago but never used it.
    Can I use it with my DA machine? If so, which pad? Glass specific?
    The machines I use are Autobrite Direct DA12 & SPTA 18V Cordless.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Welcome!

When I started using a random orbital I'm 2013, I started with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish. I used them a LOT.

I've tried others and even use another line, but I've recently been using the Utimate Twins again.

In 2020 I got a part time gig that filled in the gaps of my operation. I started searching for very specific traits in my polishes. I tried many of the major lines on a variety of vehicles and a variety of pads. While I did land on the 3D line (AAT502 Finishing Polish 3D ONE "Hybrid" compound/polish, and ACA500 Xtra Cut) I still found the Ultimate Twins to be as good if not better than the other lines I tried.

They don't have the same psychological effect as the idea of purchasing something very "exclusive" or "boutique" online, like it's some kind of super secret potion that only experienced professional detailers can use.

You could add a good cleaner wax like 3D Speed, Duragloss 101, or Meguiar's M06 Cleaner Wax to the Ultimate Twins and be set.

Ultimate Polish can function as both your light Polish without "fillers. It has some oils but they shouldn't affect the bonding of the Ultra Lock Plus. Unless a wax or sealant says on the label to strip the paint before application, it's absolutely unnecessary.

Ultimate Polish is also capable of some decent defect removal too, when paired with the right pad. Something like the Buff and Shine Uro-Fiber or green Hex Logic.

I'm not sure what tool you're using, but I really liked the Hex Logic line with my Porter Cable 7424xp. I paired the green with Ultimate Compound, blue with Ultimate Polish. If I wanted more from Ultimate Polish, I used the green. I applied sealant with the red. I used black pads with the cleaner wax.

I didn't find their Orange and yellow foam to out cut the green in any situation. Because the green contoured to the panels better and was more comfortable to use, I stuck with them to cut until I purchased some microfiber pads.these days I much prefer wool to microfiber for cutting.

If want to boost the performance maybe consider the new Rupes pads. You can get a LOT of milage from just the yellow wool and yellow foam. I keep the blue wool, yellow wool, yellow foam, and white foam on hand.

I also love the HDO/SDO CCS. I use them at work.

Buff and Shine Uro-Tec yellow and white foams are great too. They make to only microfiber pad I really love, which is the Uro-Fiber. They also have some wool pads coming out that were "inspired' by the rupes version..

All of that being said, the bulk of my work has been done with 3D ONE (which could also function as your lite, medium, and heavy polish) om either Uro-Fiber or Uro-Tec yellow pads. I wish I had been keeping track on the numbers. I get a LOT of milage out of those products.
    Thanks for the detailed answer!

I forgot to mention I also got some Uro Fiber pads on hand, would you use them on a soft (Brand new car) Mazda/Kia paint for very light defect removal? Very small swirls and maybe some water spots.

If not, which brand/color would you suggest for that purpose?

For wool I don't think I want it yet, I am afraid to cut too much with it.