autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

FINALLY - Looking into Ceramic Coatings!

Phil Miranda (from Miranda Detailing - YouTube) put out a video on GTECHNIQ C1 ceramic coating. His demonstration made the process look so insanely easy, that it convinced me I need to try. Of course it is January and snowing + no heat in the garage, so I figure I have until April to deeply research everything.

I called GTECHNIQ and spoke with one of the Reps, who stated that the C1 was primarily designed for single-stage / gel-coat paints and I should use Crystal Serum Light instead, The rep also said to look up CSL on YouTube and watch everything I can about it so everything is clear to me come April and I have a successful experience.

So I started watching videos, and saw that most of the people who were using CSL, were also topping it with another GTECHNIQ coating, saying that CSL is a "sheeter" not a "beader" type coating??

One of Phil's videos was a maintenance wash of a C1 coated vehicle, and it was STILL beading insanely after a year, but I have yet to see a video of CSL after a year (or even several months) to show its hydrophobic properties over time.

I have corresponded with Phil several times (text and telephone), and he is very helpful, but I think I will have to call him again to help clarify C1 or CSL.

The point behind this post is that there are quite a few people here who are much more experienced with ceramic coating that I am and I wanted a general consensus of what my next move should be.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

2. Likes PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: FINALLY - Looking into Ceramic Coatings!

Maybe you can convince me to go back to coatings. But knowing me I'll wanna use what I got first and well now I have enough wax to last multiple lifetimes so hahahahaha.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL...I guess I don't understand the question.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what you're looking for either.

However, I will say that I've been extremely pleased with coatings and I've been using them for nearly a decade now. I only use sealants as a stop-gap until I can get a coating on our family vehicles.

If you're looking for something that's really easy to apply, I'd point you in the direction of Gyeon Mohs. Easiest to apply coating I've every tried and the beading AND sheeting are quite remarkable. It only takes one layer and it looks really good too.

I've been a big fan of CarPro's products for years, and they are a solid brand. However, since Gyeon released their EVO updates of Pure and Mohs, CarPro has fallen to 2~3rd place for me.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

6. Likes Bosko, BlakeC, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was a late arrival to coatings as they seemed too fussy, blah, blah blah. I started with Gyeon CacCoat Evo and was so pleased I ended up with Pure Evo. I am super pleased and can’t believe all the benefits. To me the appearance boost is the big thing but maintenance is a close second.

Would recommend Gyeon products from my experience.

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app

8. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bosko View Post
    LOL...I guess I don't understand the question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Not sure what you're looking for either.
    I guess MY mind is a little boggled at the moment too LOL.

I was VERY impressed with the ease of use of the C1 AND by it's characteristics after a year (with proper maintenance), however even though Phil Miranda assured me the C1 IS a valid option for BC/CC paints, the GTECHNIQ rep has me a bit worried and all the videos saying to top the C1 with a 2nd (different) coating has me confused.

I know the rep has to spout the "party line" verbatim, but Phil has impressed me with his no nonsense approaches and honest (real-life) videos and techniques, and I'm wondering if I should go with my original plan of using the C1 on my Camaro and the wife's Escape, or choose the CSL?

**EDIT**

I JUST spoke with Phil and he said that unless I'm working on SS paint, boats or RV's to use the CSL.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

I install both CSL and Mohs EVO. Between the two, Mohs is the better coating. Both are extremely easy to install but I would give a very slight edge to CSL but if I had to choose one coating over the other for a single layer coating, it would be Mohs every time. On my wife's SUV she's got CSL topped with EXOv5 which is a fantastic combination and hard to beat for a prosumer coating but for a single layer coating I would ditch CSL and try Mohs. Just my three cents.

11. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there any particular reason you're set on GTechniq products?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Grime View Post
    I install both CSL and Mohs EVO. Between the two, Mohs is the better coating. Both are extremely easy to install but I would give a very slight edge to CSL but if I had to choose one coating over the other for a single layer coating, it would be Mohs every time. On my wife's SUV she's got CSL topped with EXOv5 which is a fantastic combination and hard to beat for a prosumer coating but for a single layer coating I would ditch CSL and try Mohs. Just my three cents.
    This along with other testimonials I've read over the years have always put Gtechniq products as a distant third behind what I view as the "mainstream large production" prosumer companies of Carpro and Gyeon. I'd take CQUK 3.0, Pure EVO or Mohs EVO over CSL or CSL w/ EXO any day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I'd take CQUK 3.0, Pure EVO or Mohs EVO over CSL or CSL w/ EXO any day.
    How is the application on the Pure EVO?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    How is the application on the Pure EVO?
    It isn't hard and you could say it is very close to CQUK 3.0.

It flashes just like you'd find in a "traditional" coating; e.g. you watch for the rainbow to appear. Pure EVO goes on much thicker than CQUK, but flashing is pretty slow and maybe just a touch quicker than CQUK. Pure EVO might be a bit easier to buff off as well, but I'd be splitting hairs.

Ease of application really comes down to your preferred workflow. Some people like slow flashing products which allow them to take their time applying a layer and you can do the entire side of a vehicle before going back to buff it off...in the right conditions. Others like a quick flash which allows them to do one section at a time without having to go back. I have my preference, but will work with either type of product.

15. Likes DFB liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast