autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: FINALLY - Looking into Ceramic Coatings!

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Is there any particular reason you're set on GTechniq products?

This along with other testimonials I've read over the years have always put Gtechniq products as a distant third behind what I view as the "mainstream large production" prosumer companies of Carpro and Gyeon. I'd take CQUK 3.0, Pure EVO or Mohs EVO over CSL or CSL w/ EXO any day.
    I've got a guy coming in to have CSL topped with EXOv5. It may give him an edge over Mohs in terms of durability but I'm really going to try and move him into the Mohs camp. I think he'd be happier with two layers of Mohs instead of CSL and EXO but the customer is always right or something like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there any particular reason you're set on GTechniq products?

This along with other testimonials I've read over the years have always put Gtechniq products as a distant third behind what I view as the "mainstream large production" prosumer companies of Carpro and Gyeon. I'd take CQUK 3.0, Pure EVO or Mohs EVO over CSL or CSL w/ EXO any day.
    It's the first coating that I've actually SEEN installed by a detailer on YT that I trust ... I'll go ahead and say it, I've spoken with Phil Miranda several times, plus watched MANY of his videos. He and I seem to have a lot in common about detailing. Trying products for YOURSELF before making up your mind about them, and his attitude about what you actually NEED to do during a detail VS what the 'keyboard/video' "Experts" say are required steps and processes that if NOT done make your work and YOU subpar/not a real detailer, his approach to detailing, among many other things.

That's the reason I latched onto the Gtechniq brand.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried CarPro DQUARTZ CO Nano? Sounds like it's the next generation of CQUARTZ. They apparently took the professional application and made a similar product for the enthusiast. If it lives up to the promotional materials (which is where many products fail) it is a great product.

Post Thanks / Like

I was very reluctant to try them. It just seemed like a ton of hassle.

I landed on Optimum Gloss Coat, and aside from a small sampling of various CarPro coatings, and the lines we use where I work (Ceramic Pro / Xpel Fusion) that's where I've stayed.

It wasn't at all as bad as one would imagine for moat of the consumer coatings, but those pro coatings had me perplexed.

If you use most of what'd already been recommended, you'll be fine.

One thing you could consider is trying a "lite" or topper coating first. Something like CarPro Lite / Gliss, Gtechniq EXO V5, etc. That way you can get a feel for the application process.

That CarPro Lite is some serious stuff for a small price and super easy application. Be way that it doesn't like to be stored too long between applications. Over time it will start to cure and become a little more challenging to use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Grime View Post
    I've got a guy coming in to have CSL topped with EXOv5. It may give him an edge over Mohs in terms of durability but I'm really going to try and move him into the Mohs camp. I think he'd be happier with two layers of Mohs instead of CSL and EXO but the customer is always right or something like that.
    Have you done two layers of mohs before? I have not as i didnt think it would really be worth going around for a 2nd coat.

As a general note for coatings, ive been using mohs evo. Its a lovey coating. But ive been on the fence about jumping over to try out armour detail supply quartz coating.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Have you done two layers of mohs before? I have not as i didnt think it would really be worth going around for a 2nd coat.
    None of the coatings I've used needed two coats and they all lasted 2+ years easily. CQUK 2.0 and 3.0 lasted over three.

I was very happy with a single coat of Mohs EVO on the wife's car. I put a second layer of Pure EVO on my car and can't see that it did anything for me over the last 20 moths or so.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

None of the coatings I've used needed two coats and they all lasted 2+ years easily. CQUK 2.0 and 3.0 lasted over three.

I was very happy with a single coat of Mohs EVO on the wife's car. I put a second layer of Pure EVO on my car and can't see that it did anything for me over the last 20 moths or so.
    I agree with your results

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been happy too with the single coat results of mohs evo and pure evo...even though pure gave me issues the last time, so i stick with mohs. I have no plans to go 2 coats. Was simply just curious on results of doing 2 coats of mohs evo.

Mohs evo seems to "clog" up or fall off visually quicker than pure did.

Thats one reason Guz has me curious to try armour details coating. Being quartz..its supposed to be more durable and similar in slickness like mohs

Post Thanks / Like

As a general note for coatings, ive been using mohs evo. Its a lovey coating. But ive been on the fence about jumping over to try out armour detail supply quartz coating.

A few spots on my car have two layers. I was applying Syncro and about halfway through applying Skin I got tired of the instant loss of slickness and just used the rest of my Mohs to double coat the remaining areas. I did it because I had the product on hand. I don’t really want to coat the guys car with two layers of Mohs unless he wants to pay for it. I just think that would be better a better end result than CSL and EXOv5.

Post Thanks / Like

Mohs evo seems to "clog" up or fall off visually quicker than pure did.
    Are you saying the water behavior isn't as good or it visually isn't as glossy/shiny?

My wife's car Mohs application is only about 9 months in at this point and I've not noticed any issues at all. Of course the car is filthy due to the weather we've had the last month or so, but the last time I washed it everything seemed to be performing well. It even beads up pretty well when really dirty'

Thats one reason Guz has me curious to try armour details coating. Being quartz..its supposed to be more durable and similar in slickness like mohs
    Based on his recommendation I'm trying out their Amplify detail spray. I'm pretty happy with it. It's really easy to apply and give a nice deep glossy look to the surface vs a sharp glassy look like you'd get from Gyeon Pure or Ceramic Detailer. I think it is better suited for dark colors, but honestly I'm torn when it comes to looks. From easy of use standpoint it is far easier than the Gyeon products or CarPro Elixr.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast