autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: FINALLY - Looking into Ceramic Coatings!

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Grime View Post
    A few spots on my car have two layers. I was applying Syncro and about halfway through applying Skin I got tired of the instant loss of slickness and just used the rest of my Mohs to double coat the remaining areas. I did it because I had the product on hand. I don’t really want to coat the guys car with two layers of Mohs unless he wants to pay for it. I just think that would be better a better end result than CSL and EXOv5.
    Did the double coating Mohs have any appearance issues? I second coated my car with Pure EVO a couple months after my first application. I too had the left over product and a couple people were raving about how great pure looked with two layers.

I was not that impressed. Water behavior and chemical resistance didn't seem to improve. Visually it was a slight step back. The second layer seemed to be a bit hazy. Since I didn't do one layer right after the other, there are tons of variables in play, The one thing it did teach me was since I was absolutely thrilled by the looks of the first layer, I should have left things alone.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Did the double coating Mohs have any appearance issues? I second coated my car with Pure EVO a couple months after my first application. I too had the left over product and a couple people were raving about how great pure looked with two layers.

I was not that impressed. Water behavior and chemical resistance didn't seem to improve. Visually it was a slight step back. The second layer seemed to be a bit hazy. Since I didn't do one layer right after the other, there are tons of variables in play, The one thing it did teach me was since I was absolutely thrilled by the looks of the first layer, I should have left things alone.
    Generally it's best to do all layers within 24hrs (barring mfg recommendation of doing something else). Back in 2017 I did 2 layers of 22ple HPC within 24hrs and then did a 3rd (too much is never enough, right?) 24hrs after that. Left a haze. A lot of it I'm told is that the bonding after 24hrs is also lessened as the initial layers have somewhat cured to the point where they start rejecting additional layers.

Never really got he fascination with CSL; it's certainly a treat to apply but visually seems more shiny than glossy, boring to watch in the rain. EXO4 was pretty weak as far as lasting aquatic entertainment goes, perhaps improved in EXOV5?

I did quite like CSL w/ Gyeon CanCoat on top...that was pretty pleasing all around but at that point, why bother with the CSL?

Eh, everybody has their favorites...no harm, no foul.

3. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There’s no visual difference. With Mohs EVO Gyeon said that a said layer will give you another year of durability so that’s why I did it. Since 2/3 or my car had Syncro which is supposed to be 4 years a second layer of Mohs on the rest should give all of the paint the same 4 years. If I had to do it all again I would just do one layer of Mohs and be done with it. I still have half a bottle of Skin but I’m gonna toss it. I’m never using that again.

Post Thanks / Like

Skin sucks?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Skin sucks?
    The original Syncro (Skin) was silicone-based and totally awesome as far as slickness and water behavior goes...for about 2 months until it wore off. They bill the new EVO version as Skin being a 'gloss/color enhancing' topcoat...always a very subjective kind of thing I'd guess :shrug:

I do know of some folks who absolutely love Syncro EVO so different strokes and all, I guess.

7. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you saying the water behavior isn't as good or it visually isn't as glossy/shiny?

My wife's car Mohs application is only about 9 months in at this point and I've not noticed any issues at all. Of course the car is filthy due to the weather we've had the last month or so, but the last time I washed it everything seemed to be performing well. It even beads up pretty well when really dirty'

Based on his recommendation I'm trying out their Amplify detail spray. I'm pretty happy with it. It's really easy to apply and give a nice deep glossy look to the surface vs a sharp glassy look like you'd get from Gyeon Pure or Ceramic Detailer. I think it is better suited for dark colors, but honestly I'm torn when it comes to looks. From easy of use standpoint it is far easier than the Gyeon products or CarPro Elixr.
    Water behaviour is what i ment. But that could be just me chasing that beading/water behaviour that one gets from a fresh coating. I know thats just how it goes though. Mine is at about the same life as yours(april 2023 application).

I use quite a few amour detail products(amplify,ceramic sealant,adapt and decon soap). And i love them all...so i bought gallon jugs lol

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123