autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

New Polisher to add to the arsenal

My old man picked me up one of these for Christmas. First order of business will be to get a Flex 5" (4.5") backing plate so I can use my 5" pads and not have to invest a fortune in getting 6" pads. I am sure this will be quite an upgrade from my trusty Porter Cable 7424xp. Are there any major tips and tricks to keep in mind when switching from a free spinning to forced rotation polisher? Or, is the best teaching tool to just get out there and use it - which being in Ohio might be a few months. Thanks for your help.

-Adam

New Polisher to add to the arsenal-new-polisher-jpg

2. Likes John U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Polisher to add to the arsenal

Great tool. Love mine. Yes, it's different than your PC. It can walk on you and you need to remember that no matter how much pressure you put on it, it will not stall like a PC, it will keep rotating--thus correcting/heating/etc the paint surface so keep that in mind.
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

4. Likes waddell64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ditto what Sizzle said. I have a Flex and if you haven't used a rotary (I hadn't) the fact that it tries to walk on you takes a little getting used to, but after that it's great, especially being able to use the edge of the face of the pad to get into tight spots. I guess I didn't pay enough attention when that Hercules machine came out that the Flex backing plates were interchangeable, that's great.

6. Likes waddell64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I guess I didn't pay enough attention when that Hercules machine came out that the Flex backing plates were interchangeable, that's great.
    Yes, from what I have read you can interchange the Hercules backing plate with the Flex backing plate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waddell64 View Post
    ... Are there any major tips and tricks to keep in mind when switching from a free spinning to forced rotation polisher? Or, is the best teaching tool to just get out there and use it...
    Yes, to the second question. You won't know how it feels until you use it. Once you start using it you will learn its tendencies.

Like the previous responders have stated, it will want to drive itself, or walk around, more than you are used to coming from a random orbital, but that's something that you should be able to control and get used to fairly quickly with a little time behind the machine.

Since the machine will never stall, you don't have that inherent safety mechanism that random orbitals provide. You need to be a little more diligent as far as process and precautions go, e.g., polishing at or near edges, body lines, etc.

As far as tips or tricks go, one of the things I noticed when first using a forced rotation polisher, is that the polish doesn't migrate throughout the pad in the same manner as it does with a random orbital. With a random orbital I always apply the product near the outer circumference of the pad as it tends to migrate to the center of the pad. That is not the case with the forced rotation... The polish tends to stay more or less where it is applied, therefore, I'll apply the product more uniformly across the face of the pad.

Have fun... Get out there and use it!

9. Likes waddell64, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Are there any major tips and tricks to keep in mind when switching from a free spinning to forced rotation polisher? Or, is the best teaching tool to just get out there and use it

-Adam

New Polisher to add to the arsenal-new-polisher-jpg
    Best to get out there and use it.

Make sure you have a firm grip before starting. Once you get a feel for the machine it will get much easier to use then your flex 3401.

I never run my polisher over 2,000 (800-1500 is the sweet spot). Use slow arm movement and a good amount of pressure. Occasionally touch the paint and see how hot it is. If possible do a intentional burn through on a beater car or junkyard panel so you'll have a general idea how far you can go.
    Be careful around the edges. Polish with the angle of the edge and NEVER on top of the edge.
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

11. Likes waddell64, tuscarora dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    Great tool. Love mine. Yes, it's different than your PC. It can walk on you and you need to remember that no matter how much pressure you put on it, it will not stall like a PC, it will keep rotating--thus correcting/heating/etc the paint surface so keep that in mind.
    Hey Scott how long have you had that Hercules polisher in use? I've bought that machine from a facebook china tool page before, and it worked well but didn't last. That machine gets branded a lot of different names. The one I had said "Chechnya" for the brand name, which is weird since that's also a country.
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, from what I have read you can interchange the Hercules backing plate with the Flex backing plate.
    Wow!! I didn't know that either. I've been wondering how that machine does and I have several 4-3/4" Flex backing plates laying around. Curiosity might just get the best of me on this one. Thanks for the info!

Post Thanks / Like

wow Dave have not seen you post in along time how are you doing?