autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Questions about Clear Coat Failure…Is it inevitable?

The past two cars I’ve owned have suffered clear coat failure. I had each for over 10 years. The first five years of their lives they lived in the garage. My wife and I would take turns getting a new car on a five year loan. After one car was paid for, the other would sell their current car and buy a new one. That way we only had one car payment. The new car would get the coveted spot in the garage and the other was relegated outside in the brutal S. Florida sun and heat. Both had dark paint color. One was black and the other a dark red. Around year 9, the cc failure would start.

Admittedly, I don’t maintain my paint as I should. The cars would get washed maybe 6 times a year with two being a with two-in-one polish/sealant product and the others with a topper product like TW Seal & Shine. When I got my 2005 Black Honda Accord, I caught the detailing bug and got a DA and tried out all sorts of polishes and sealants. Then when I got my 2013 Red Mazda CX-5, my enthusiasm had diminished a bit but still wanted to maintain a nice car. Once the Honda paint started failing, I wondered if I had polished off too much clear coat, so I started being less aggressive with my Mazda. But both cars’ paint issues started around the 9 year mark which was only 4 years of being kept outside.

So after that way too long intro, is cc failure unavoidable if the car is not a garage queen that is not washed and protected twice a week?

Also, is dark paint more prone to ccf? I had a 2001 white Olds van that was before my detailing phase and it did not have issues with the paint.

Thanks in advance for your input and Happy New Year.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions about Clear Coat Failure…Is it inevitable?

I think that the Japanese brands tend to suffer from cc failure the most. If you are not notably meticulous about your paint care, it may indeed happen as you are experiencing.

I’m in Florida too and I dread keeping my 2010 Accord outside for any prolonged period of time. I hear Honda in recent years is notorious for cc failure. They just don’t make paint like they used to any more.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

3. Likes hooked liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems all black, 8th gen Civics have CC failure..but they sure as hell still run

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

5. Likes hooked liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Let me point out that perhaps being in the garage for 5 years isn't really being in the garage for 5 years if you go to work every day and park it outside at work--that's a lot of hours in that "brutal S. Florida sun".

Darker colors are going to get hotter in the sun...but it's still the same UV going into the clearcoat...I think most people would say that darker colors are more susceptible to clearcoat failure but I can't give you a good technical reason for that. But I think to address your other question, is failure unavoidable...obviously yes...but not necessarily for the time period you will own the car. Certainly any LSP will help absorb some of the UV, and you might want to try something like Optimum Car Wax, which has a UV inhibitor in it (Optimum No-Rinse Wash & Wax has the same inhibitor...but a smaller amount). I think the key would be applying more than 6 times a year. I'd suggest double that, which isn't a big deal for a spray wax. So if you could wash once a month and apply spray wax each time, that might solve your problem...it should only take you 9 years to find out--let me know.

7. Likes hooked, Big Dave, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good point about a garage kept car not in there the whole time. Both cars spent time in office parking lots during work hours.

I’m probably going to replace the Mazda in few months. I will definitely report back in 2033. Lol.

My non-detailing wash process is ONR and then some sort of spray sealant. I’ve been using TW Seal N Shine for the past few years as a topper because it’s so slick and the reviews I’ve seen said that it is supposed to be pretty durable. I used to use Optimum products for polishing and sealing but I ran out one time and didn’t have time to order online so I ended up with TW Ceramic Polish and Wax that I got from a local Auto Parts store. It wasn’t my first choice but that’s it was what was on the shelf. The Ceramic claims were a bit dubious but TW has stepped up its game in the past few years.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm starting to see some clear coat failure on my FJ Cruiser. It's over 12 years old now, and was basically outside most of that time, in 2018-19 I did have undercover parking at work, so undercover during the day and outside at night which is ok. The UV index where I was in Sydney and now Newcastle is basically the same as Florida from what I could find, averaging 11-12 in summer with rare days up to 14. It started on the hood first, then started to appear on the top of the door handles, so the horizontal surfaces are obviously taking the biggest hit from the UV light. Fortunately the white roof on the FJ is not clear coated, just single stage white paint, and really thick too, so no failure going on up there.

I did a home repair job on the hood, peeled all the loose stuff away, cleaned it, then filled it with several layers from one of those clear coat brush on repair thingys, then sanded it back level and polished it shiny again, it was still obvious though, no to worry, I then sprayed the hood with matt black Plastidip, partially to hide it, but also to protect it. The door handles I covered with some black covers off eBay, they match the Plastidip and black wheels. I've fixed and covered what I've seen so far, but I'm sure I'll be seeing more failure appearing soon.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

10. Likes hooked liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I'm starting to see some clear coat failure on my FJ Cruiser. It's over 12 years old now, and was basically outside most of that time, in 2018-19 I did have undercover parking at work, so undercover during the day and outside at night which is ok. The UV index where I was in Sydney and now Newcastle is basically the same as Florida from what I could find, averaging 11-12 in summer with rare days up to 14. It started on the hood first, then started to appear on the top of the door handles, so the horizontal surfaces are obviously taking the biggest hit from the UV light. Fortunately the white roof on the FJ is not clear coated, just single stage white paint, and really thick too, so no failure going on up there.

I did a home repair job on the hood, peeled all the loose stuff away, cleaned it, then filled it with several layers from one of those clear coat brush on repair thingys, then sanded it back level and polished it shiny again, it was still obvious though, no to worry, I then sprayed the hood with matt black Plastidip, partially to hide it, but also to protect it. The door handles I covered with some black covers off eBay, they match the Plastidip and black wheels. I've fixed and covered what I've seen so far, but I'm sure I'll be seeing more failure appearing soon.

Sounds like a rescue project. Lol.

On my Mazda, the rear spoiler was the first thing to go. I had watched a few YouTube videos on how to sand the cc failure and respray the clear coat. I figured it would be fairly easy to remove the spoiler to sand and spray but I procrastinated and then spots started showing up on the hood and roof and it was pointless after that.

Post Thanks / Like

Dr G of Optimum, who used to formulate clearcoats, says the half-life is 5 years, so 9-10 years is about right. I think regular wax/sealant probably delays that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    Sounds like a rescue project. Lol.

On my Mazda, the rear spoiler was the first thing to go. I had watched a few YouTube videos on how to sand the cc failure and respray the clear coat. I figured it would be fairly easy to remove the spoiler to sand and spray but I procrastinated and then spots started showing up on the hood and roof and it was pointless after that.
    I've got some other marks on the hood that appear to be getting worse, or more obvious anyway. They're different to the initial cc failure, they look like something got spilt on the surface, but polishing hasn't touched it, so maybe it's under the clear. Maybe I'll just spray the whole thing with some Raptor liner, Desert Tan would look good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Dr G of Optimum, who used to formulate clearcoats, says the half-life is 5 years, so 9-10 years is about right. I think regular wax/sealant probably delays that.
    Wow. That is depressing. I’m going to be more disciplined with my next car.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast