autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Don't laugh .. it was a Christmas present, and I'm pretty sure it could be useful

So, for Christmas, my well-meaning nephew bought me an RO polisher ... It is one of those so-called "wax spreader" polishers available at Walmart. With a 10" pad from *AutoSpa. It comes with 1 foam bonnet for wax application and 1 microfiber bonnet for polish application/product removal. I plan on hitting Walmart today to get a few more microfiber bonnets - just to have extra if needed.

While I know that my Porter Cable is far superior for compounding and polishing, I honestly think that this polisher could prove useful in REMOVING products after they have been applied and worked by my PC, particularly wax.

It is supposed to be in the 50s today (with chances of rain), but with any luck, I should be able to wash my car and apply a coat of TW Ceramic/Graphene Paste Wax and try out the 10" polisher for removal (followed of course by a 'final wipe' by hand).

I will be filming this for my YouTube Channel, so with any luck, I will have some good news for raw newbies wanting a polisher, but not wanting to spend the money on a 'proper' polisher, and are just looking for something to make the waxing process a bit easier.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

2. Likes bill walsh, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Don't laugh .. it was a Christmas present, and I'm pretty sure it could be useful

When I first did a spray coating on my car, I started with a 6 inch Ryobi polisher like that. They're not bad products when the user understands their limitations. I used it to apply Meguiar's ultimate polish and it worked absolutely fine. It didn't remove a single scratch but the car was shinier than it had ever been before. For someone starting out and dipping their toe in the detailing world, those tools aren't a bad place to start although 10 inches is a bit big for my taste.

4. Likes PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Don't laugh .. it was a Christmas present, and I'm pretty sure it could be useful

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Grime View Post
    When I first did a spray coating on my car, I started with a 6 inch Ryobi polisher like that. They're not bad products when the user understands their limitations. I used it to apply Meguiar's ultimate polish and it worked absolutely fine. It didn't remove a single scratch but the car was shinier than it had ever been before. For someone starting out and dipping their toe in the detailing world, those tools aren't a bad place to start although 10 inches is a bit big for my taste.
    It's not something I would buy for myself, and after years of the PC and 5.5" pads, it DOES seem really HUGE. But as it was a gift from a nephew (who knows nothing about detailing), I owe it to him to find a use for it, and I think product removal will be the best bet.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

6. Likes PaulMys, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    It's not something I would buy for myself, and after years of the PC and 5.5" pads, it DOES seem really HUGE. But as it was a gift from a nephew (who knows nothing about detailing), I owe it to him to find a use for it, and I think product removal will be the best bet.
    My kitchen table is a bit abused thanks to my two offspring. I decided to see if a good polish would do anything. I used my Ryobi DA polisher, a Lake Country orange pad and M205. It cleaned the table like never before but the polish wipe off was less than easy. I switched to a Meguiar's dry microfiber finishing pad to remove the residue and as a buffer and that table has never been glossier. I bet there are some uses around the house for buffing that the gift would be perfect for.

8. Likes Don M liked this post