autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Drive it or preserve it? Your thoughts on rare vehicle preservation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace22 View Post
    I say drive it like you stole it...I see too many of these exotics farting around too scared/timid with the throttle. I personally don't care if it's a Ferrari or classic Cuda. At the end of the day it's just a car.
    Life's too short, enjoy it for what it is, a go fast machine that thrills....crank up the AC/DC and shoot the thrill
    Yes!

More an more, I've started to see people bringing out their hot rods to our autocross events. For a while there were a few very pristine Shelby Cobra replicas. Lately we've been seeing things like AMC Javellins, and classic Mustangs an Vettes. On one particular weekend, we had two immaculate "Smokey and the Bandit" vintage Firebirds in black with the screaming chicken on the hood. One looked like it had just rolled off the showroom floor. The other had perfect paint, but had a full interior roll cage and was set up for road racing in some vintage class. The woman who owned and ran that car is a hero.

Quote Originally Posted by PouncingPanzer View Post
    I used to drive like that until I got a reckless op. Very selective now on when I go WOT. Isn't worth losing my license over.
    I think that is why vintage racing is becoming so popular. There are also options like a track day or autocross to really get after it in a much safer and legal environment.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

2. Likes Ace22 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice read to this point. One of the classic forum questions, cars, guns, razors .. me I use them. I don't think unless you have film of you outside the factory door getting into it, and from then on .. how do you know it is pristine? Could be just a good detailer?

Post Thanks / Like

I was at the track a few years ago. There was a guy with a 65 or 66 Mustang. I looked and it was a K Code. The guy pulled the original engine and was enjoying the car.

5. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

See I would be totally fine being on a track with others that also have valuable possessions. Sorta like the track day events for 250 GTO owners. If everyone is in a $30,000,000+ car then everyone is likely going to be driving somewhat defensive hahahaha.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

7. Likes DUBL0WS6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just saw a video of a 1 of 1 Martini Livery 918 totalled....case in point... PARK IT.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

9. Likes Azure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah just drive better. A car is a vehicle meant to be driven…. If you wanna just let it grow in value buy some gold or a Picasso…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the livery might have made it unique, but it's only a paint job. There are plenty of other 918's. Martini livery is every easy to duplicate. The owner was enjoying the experience of of using the car to it's fullest purpose. You can't take this stuff with you, live it and enjoy it.

Unless the tub is destroyed, the car can likely be rebuilt if the owner wants to. Rowan Atkinson has wrecked his McClaren F1 at least three times and it's been rebuilt. Funny part is, the value of the car has not been diminished in value.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

12. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I must be in the great minority concerning driving vs not driving a vehicle. I get the most satisfaction out of my vehicles when they’re parked and I’m detailing. I’m not going to say how few miles are on my. 21 year old Audi but I’ve enjoyed every minute of owning it by detailing it I suppose I’ll have to pour money into it like I did my Cadillac eventually but to me that’s part of the price of this expensive hobby. What I’m trying to say is that people can enjoy their cars in different ways, whether they be still or in motion.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

14. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I say drive the hell out of it. Unless one really just enjoys looking at it, in which case don't buy it, just go to a museum or something. I don't care what car, how much it costs or what the owners level of wealth is, if they buy it and park it, to me it's a laughable waste. Just drive it and enjoy it.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

16. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Likes Desertnate, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Drive it or preserve it? Your thoughts on rare vehicle preservation.

Eh, I wouldn’t be quick to judge and label it “laughable” or a “waste”. There’s plenty of things people do for enjoyment that others don’t understand and therefore think less than highly of.It doesn’t mean they are bad or wrong in some way. Just being clear.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

18. Likes Big Dave, Coatingsarecrack, Azure liked this post
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast