autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

IPA after ceramic application?

Has anybody ever IPA’d a vehicle after applying ceramic to clean up streaks?

I don’t know what happened today but I had a coating job be very streaky. Terrible experience. No high spots, just streaks. Ram truck, black paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: IPA after ceramic application?

Why ipa? Wouldn’t that risk removing the coating? Why not use something less aggressive like diluted rinseless wash? [N-914]

Post Thanks / Like

What was the coating?

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t know if it would strip it or not. The coating bonds very quickly it’s just the carrier that smears. (My understanding)

Rinse less is a good idea too.

The coating was 3D. My fault. I was leveling with the truck outside on a cloudy day to make sure I didn’t leave high spots but I wasn’t using an inspection light. By the time I was done I realized I hadn’t wiped it to a streak free finish. Probably two hrs after application I noticed this. Plenty of time for that ceramic to set up. (My understanding)

I did a super light mist of IPA on a towel and wiped. I think I’m good. Any other thoughts?

What’s you guys’ go to towel method for leveling? I use three brand new MF towels as a sort of ‘three towel method’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I've had limited success with using Eraser immediately after application. I've also has success with Meguiar's professional mild clay.

This is with Xpel Fusion Plus.

6. Likes Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No, if you had streaks in your coating, go back and look at your technique. IPA or Erasure is to clean up the polishing oils. If something is in the coating and it cured, the only way to get it out is to spot polish and start over. I had a contamination issue doing a coating today. I had to spot polish, then reapply. Waterless will not work either.

Work in small sections, wait for flash, wipe, then flip and wipe, then pull out a second towel and wipe, then flip that and wipe. Use more than three towels. By the time I'm done, I have an entire bucket filled with snappy clean and expended towels soaking. I come out with stacks, and am ready to do battle. Don't be afraid to use a lot of materials (towels, applicators). You need to take your time. That's why coatings are expensive! (If you pay someone to do them).

8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’d found success in rubbing a little coating on those areas. That should reactivate the carrier fluid and make it easier to wipe off. If that doesn’t work I take a polishing pad and rub a little polish on the area and it comes off with ease. Then recoat and wipe off. Of course I’ve only used a small number of coatings but the that works for the ones I’ve used.

Post Thanks / Like

Using a little hair of the dog like Optimus Grime suggested is about the only thing I can think of. Maybe rub some Essence on it might level it out. Otherwise buffing if off and starting over might be it.