autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone now how to rejuvenate chrome plated plastic Without buying new grill or spray?

Open to all successful stories!

I’ve tried all the metal polishes with zero resultsAnyone now how to rejuvenate platinum chrome? Without buying new grill or spray?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone now how to rejuvenate platinum chrome? Without buying new grill or spray?

Yea, steel wool. I just restored my new chrome wheels last week.

Before/After

Polished these chrome wheels yesterday.

Polished this grill on a Lincoln and made it look brand new.

Just make sure to use it alone or you’ll wreck the chrome.

3. Thanks DanaDetailingPros thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone now how to rejuvenate platinum chrome? Without buying new grill or spray?

What grade steel wool for the plastic grill did you use! Super stoked for your reply!

5. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone now how to rejuvenate platinum chrome? Without buying new grill or spray?

Quote Originally Posted by DanaDetailingPros View Post
    What grade steel wool for the plastic grill did you use! Super stoked for your reply!
    0000 steel wool.

Use it dry, or use it with water.
    Both ways have their benefits.

Dry benefits by being able to immediately see whether or not it’s screwing it up or working [mostly all exterior chrome is made to be resilient enough to be of higher grade and not scratch]

Interior chrome i.e. the stuff you might find on interior door handles and center consoles of normal cars is made to be less hard and that chrome will usually scratch with steel wool. That’s usually how they separate the quality of chrome used on vehicles.

The benefits of using it with water is it eliminates the dusting + it feels more lubricated and therefore faster user experience. Follow it up with some Mothers All Chrome and a microfiber towel for that final pop. [any detail spray/waterless wash also works just fine]

If you decide to use it dry, make sure to blow out all the leftover dust because that dust can turn to rust if moisture gets to it.

You can spray the water from a spray bottle or dunk it in a bucket of water as you work. Do a little test spot, it’ll show you everything you need to know. It should be just fine though, it’s a Lincoln.

7. Thanks DanaDetailingPros thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've noticed that on my chrome wheel I do have a bunch of marring that I'd like to eliminate, although I understand that might not ever be possible. They still shine plenty fine from a distance, but it just doesn't look good to me up close.

Is some wet 0000 wool the way to go? I feel like that would be scratching it more...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vaca22 View Post
    I've noticed that on my chrome wheel I do have a bunch of marring that I'd like to eliminate, although I understand that might not ever be possible. They still shine plenty fine from a distance, but it just doesn't look good to me up close.

Is some wet 0000 wool the way to go? I feel like that would be scratching it more...
    Yes, if your chrome is stained, hazy, or looks a bit oxidized, that’s when steel wool works great. Dry or wet with plain water. It won’t harm it.

Heck, even aluminum foil & coca cola won’t harm it. Coca Cola & steel wool works alot better than foil though. It works wonders on rusty chrome when nothing else will work.

Do not combine steel wool with any kind of metal polish though.

10. Thanks vaca22 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone now how to rejuvenate chrome plated plastic Without buying new grill or spray?

The chrome centercap I ordered arrived today. I opened it up just now.

It’s used. Has some flaws, as expected. That’s fine.

Im going to use the steel wool dry. I mainly want to polish that oxidation around the center crest in between the wreath, but I’ll rub the entire centercap. It’s plastic chrome.

About a minute later.

Nice and shiny. Looking good.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone now how to rejuvenate chrome plated plastic Without buying new grill or spray?

Wow, that's a pretty impressive before and after!
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

13. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we need to call you the King of Chrome, Eldo, I never would have had the guts to do that. I'm too lazy right now or I'd go look at the bag of steel wool I have, I don't remember what grade it is. I don't even remember why I have it, but I'm sure it must have been for taking the rust off of something that WASN'T chromed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I think we need to call you the King of Chrome, Eldo, I never would have had the guts to do that. I'm too lazy right now or I'd go look at the bag of steel wool I have, I don't remember what grade it is. I don't even remember why I have it, but I'm sure it must have been for taking the rust off of something that WASN'T chromed.
    Everytime I’m done using a piece of steel wool before I throw it away I try to find something around the house or in the garage that might be able to be polished using the leftover piece. Brass door handles, metal rack, locks, I look for anything metal to test. It’s a great feeling when you find a piece that can surprisingly be polished to a mirror shine.

The metal door on my cats carrier doesn’t get used very often and develops rust. Steel wool brings back the luster and makes it shine again.Anyone now how to rejuvenate platinum chrome? Without buying new grill or spray?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast