autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Brake dust repellent

Hello, I recently changed brake pads to Brembo, as a result the rims get dirty very quickly. I'm looking for a coating that will repel brake dust. Which of the following products will do the job best?

1. Sonax Xtreme Wheel rim coating
    2. Sonax FelgenVersiegelung
    3. Chemical Guys Max Coat
    4. Rotweiss 7550 Rim Sealing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brake dust repellent

There is nothing to "repel" brake dust. The dusting is a natural by-product of high performance brake pads. The better they stop, the more they will dust, and that dust will end up on your wheels. If you watch a tire change in most motorsports pit stops you'll see a big puff of break dust when the wheel man triggers the impact wrench. Some times you'll also see piles of it fall out of the wheels when they move them. At least you'll never have to deal with dusting at that level!

Coating your wheels will make them much easier to clean and maybe lessen the chances of the brake dust etching/pitting your wheels. I'd also make sure you have a quality wheel cleaner on hand and you clean them frequently. It doesn't have to be a strong cleaner, I was able to clean the nasty, sticky M-Sport brake dust off my last car using the regular strength Griots Wheel Cleaner (the green one).
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

3. Likes Prange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if they still sell this, but Armor All Wheel Protectant was the Truth.
    This stuff really does repel brake dust and keeps your wheels perfectly clean for like 5 weeks.

Knowing Armor All, I’d be surprised if they still sell it, because everything they invent that’s out of this world usually gets discontinued. Smh.

5. Likes PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I fondly recall that AA product! It was a godsend for Mercedes wheels. Worth every penny
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

7. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How did it keep brake dust from landing on the wheels? When someone hits the brakes the pads dust and that stuff lands all over the barrels and wheel faces. The dust has to go somewhere.

EDIT: After re-looking at this post, I'm not sure it carried the right tone. I wasn't trying to come across as argumentative.

I am curious how a product could prevent the brake dust from landing on the wheels. Or...did it make the surface so slick the particles couldn't cling and they would just slide off?
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Brake dust repellent

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    How did it keep brake dust from landing on the wheels? When someone hits the brakes the pads dust and that stuff lands all over the barrels and wheel faces. The dust has to go somewhere.
    Leave it to Armor All to innovate and do things no one else seems to be able to do. 1 thing I’ve seen over time is that anything in their Shield line of products is gold about 90% of the time.

That Wheel Protectant works so well at repelling brake dust that I seriously contemplated spraying it on my paint just to see if it could keep my entire car clean for weeks. I wouldn’t doubt if it could do it.

It kept my exhaust pipes 100% spotless for over a month.

10. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we're getting wrapped up in phraseology here--that Armor All doesn't "repel" dust, it keeps it from sticking. All I can say is I was very happy when I replaced my OEM pads with Akebono Pro-Act. No more washing the wheels in the middle of the week because the wheels were black while the car was still clean.

12. Likes PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm extremely pleased with recent year Jeep Grand Cherokee brakes. Essentially NO dusting! I wish every car was as good!
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I think we're getting wrapped up in phraseology here--that Armor All doesn't "repel" dust, it keeps it from sticking.
    How does it keep it from sticking?

The label specifically says repels brake dust, road grime, dirt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    How does it keep it from sticking?

The label specifically says repels brake dust, road grime, dirt.
    I'm sorry, I've never used it, maybe it has reverse engineered alien anti-gravity technology from Area 51 that repels the dust!

C'mon Eldo, how many coatings are supposed to be "self-cleaning"? Do they have microscopic nano-bots with a little bottle of waterless wash and a tiny, tiny microfiber towel? No, they make it so dirt doesn't want to stick to the surface, so it "self-cleans"...like your wheels with that Armor All stuff. I mean, how do they get the eggs to slide out of that pan on the Gotham commercial? It's a "non-stick" pan, not an egg-repellant pan.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast