autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Graphene Coating Attracting Dust Issues?

Question for anyone ever had this issue before be it from Ceramic or Graphene Coatings.

First of all, I've been applying ceramic coatings since 2015, tried the best brands in the business, and multiple Autogeek sponsored ceramic products and never had any issues or whatsoever.
    That is until a month ago I traveled to Wyoming from Colorado to do a red Ford Raptor. This weekend the owner contacted me to tell me every time he washes the Raptor it attracts dust.
    I told him I've never run into that issue before, but I will do my due diligence by calling the manufacturer and checking reviews online. I did not find any evidence of anybody having this issue with the product. He didn't seem to be convinced or happy with my findings.
    I told him I was going to give him his money back and to fix the problem I'll be buffing the Graphene off. So basically, he will get his truck back polished but no protection. Better looking than what I first got from him.
    I do this as a hobby, been doing this since 2005, and when I run into liability issues like this, it's time to hang it up, and just stick with my regulars or close friends.

Now that my ranting is over; has any of you had issues with a product attracting dust? BTW, I never had this issue with this particular brand, it's one of my favorites, durable, and my customers rave about it.
    -Goose
    2007 Avus Silver Audi RS4
    2018 Black Redline Edition Chevy Silverado

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Graphene Coating Attracting Dust Issues?

Before going too far, I'd consider the environment. If there is dust and dirt in the air because it is windy and the farm fields have been havested/turned, then dust will land on the vehicle. Nothing can prevent that other than keeping the vehicle indoors all the time. At certian times of the year, I've watched pollen, dust, or even tiny bits of debris from the crops being harvested collect on my cars while I'm drying them! It's frustrating, but impossible to avoid.

The difference, in my experience, between a coated and a sealed/waxed vehicle is how easily the dust is removed. A light layer may partially blow off or get rinsed off by a light rain or snow. Heavier accumulations come off almost effortlessly with a quick wash.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Graphene = Garbage Coatings
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

I commend your accountability going above and beyond to stand by your work and make it up to the customer. I’ve never had to go that far but I’ve definitely had a few close calls to where if I had failed it would’ve been done at zero cost to the customer.

However in this case I think you’re being a bit too hard on yourself… If you’re going to go back there and polish the coating off, then you might as well apply Something, anything instead of leaving it looking good but bare. Nobody wins in that situation.

Even if you were to apply the absolute bare minimum protection aka a spray sealant it would result in a better outcome for both parties. Meaning he’s not left completely hanging and you’re not left without any compensation.

I suggest you apply something that doesn’t require as much time while at the same time providing decent protection [2-3 months] and in return you maybe change it to a significant discount for the trouble. If you can walk away with half or at least 1/3rd. of what you originally charged him it’s alot better than nothing. You did good honest work. Don’t cheat yourself by being TOO loyal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I commend your accountability going above and beyond to stand by your work and make it up to the customer. I’ve never had to go that far but I’ve definitely had a few close calls to where if I had failed it would’ve been done at zero cost to the customer.

However in this case I think you’re being a bit too hard on yourself… If you’re going to go back there and polish the coating off, then you might as well apply Something, anything instead of leaving it looking good but bare. Nobody wins in that situation.

Even if you were to apply the absolute bare minimum protection aka a spray sealant it would result in a better outcome for both parties. Meaning he’s not left completely hanging and you’re not left without any compensation.

I suggest you apply something that doesn’t require as much time while at the same time providing decent protection [2-3 months] and in return you maybe change it to a significant discount for the trouble. If you can walk away with half or at least 1/3rd. of what you originally charged him it’s alot better than nothing. You did good honest work. Don’t cheat yourself by being TOO loyal.
    He was actually saying that his brother got his truck coated in North Dakota from another shop. I think he's kind of leaning towards that option. I'm going to remove the graphene to isolate the peoblem, that way if he gets it tcoated somewhere else, he could tell whether it was the coating, or him expecting something else.
    -Goose

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Graphene = Garbage Coatings
    Yes, and not. There are very few authentic Graphene Coatings in the market.
    There are quite a few companies selling "Graphene" by name only, with zero visual of any graphite in it. The real Graphene coatings are usually dark, and not crystal clear. I like this particular product because it's delivered for me, after trying out other brands, this one stands out.
    EPIC® Pro+ Ceramic Coating with Graphene.
    -Goose

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you.

Btw what’s the coating you’re referring to in this thread?

Post Thanks / Like

Moderators: could you please merge this thread with this one? —>>> Graphene Coating Attracting Dust Issues?
    -Goose

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I hear you.

Btw what’s the coating you’re referring to in this thread?
    EPIC® Pro+ Ceramic Coating with Graphene.
    -Goose

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that's a Malco product? And good luck on the merging.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast