autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Installing PPF on Headlights

Has anyone here applied PPF to headlights before, and if so, any tips for this process.

My 2016 Ranger has deteriorated headlights, which appeared fairly soon into my ownership. There was actually a Ford field-service-campaign on these particular headlights, but I never bothered having them replaced. I would simply replace the things but the whole bumper and grill need to be removed to gain access to the headlight bolts. As such, I have been polishing the affected areas and applying a sealant every 9 to 12 months, before having to repeat the process again.

Cutmax, followed by Perfect Finish deals with the problem without the need to wet sand.

In this case, I have ordered pre-cut PPF films, which I will apply after re-finishing the headlights. Hopefully this will give me a longer term solution.

Car Headlight Protective Film for Ford Ranger Wildtrak Raptor 2015+, Transparent Blackened TPU Sticker,Transparent : Amazon.com.au: Automotive

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Installing PPF on Headlights

So is the factory coating still on there? Is the PPF supposed to block UV so that if the coating has been removed, the lenses will no longer yellow?

Thanks for posting this, I took a quick look and didn't realize it was so easy to order precut PPF for headlights, here in the US also.

Post Thanks / Like

“Will not fade, heat-resistant, waterproof, , UV protective,good light transmittance,and with smooth surface.with super stretchability, scratch and wear resistance.” according to description.

Although UV protective is not UV proof, so I would assume at some point it might yellow again.

Good luck with the headlights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    So is the factory coating still on there? Is the PPF supposed to block UV so that if the coating has been removed, the lenses will no longer yellow?

Thanks for posting this, I took a quick look and didn't realize it was so easy to order precut PPF for headlights, here in the US also.
    Same here, I went down that rabbit hole after reading his post and I’m thinking about getting blue tinted ppf for mine.

Post Thanks / Like

X-PEL Makes precut kits for headlamps. Makes the job easier. Had them on my 05 wrangler.

LAMIN-X Has precut kits...

Headlight Tint | Buy Car Headlight Covers and Headlight Tint Film Online – Lamin-X
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Same here, I went down that rabbit hole after reading his post and I’m thinking about getting blue tinted ppf for mine.
    I'd be careful with any tinting as it starts with mess with how much visible light you'll see from your headlights at night. Not only does it shift the light color to a less visible end of the spectrum, but by adding a colored film to the lens, it reduces the actual lumens being projected.

I've seriously considered putting clear PPF on our vehicles more to cut down on all the rock pits than anything else. I'd hope they would help with prevention of yellowing and clouding as well if the headlights are new or just restored.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    X-PEL Makes precut kits for headlamps. Makes the job easier. Had them on my 05 wrangler.

LAMIN-X Has precut kits...

Headlight Tint | Buy Car Headlight Covers and Headlight Tint Film Online – Lamin-X
    Yes, the Lamin-X is what I was looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I'd be careful with any tinting as it starts with mess with how much visible light you'll see from your headlights at night. Not only does it shift the light color to a less visible end of the spectrum, but by adding a colored film to the lens, it reduces the actual lumens being projected.

I've seriously considered putting clear PPF on our vehicles more to cut down on all the rock pits than anything else. I'd hope they would help with prevention of yellowing and clouding as well if the headlights are new or just restored.
    Valid points, but at the same time the tinted film hides any current imperfections/haze that’s on the headlights and makes them look better than a transparent film would.

If I can restore my headlights back to near perfection 1 more time I’d get the clear, but tbo I doubt they’ll be able to restore after having done it a couple of times already.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

I had regular PPF put on (new) replacement headlights for my last car (had a Bambi incident) - after 165,000 miles and 8 years they still looked like brand new.

After that experience, getting my current lights filmed on the new car is on my to-do list; just going to have the window tint wizard do it while they have the car. I'll do standard paint film again as I don't think it needs to be the thick stuff.

9. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    If I can restore my headlights back to near perfection 1 more time I’d get the clear, but tbo I doubt they’ll be able to restore after having done it a couple of times already.
    Why would you not be able to get them back to clear? My problem is when they get old they seem to get internal cracking that you only see when the headlights are on. The ones that I had to sand the coating off of, just turn yellow but they are easy to polish back to clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Why would you not be able to get them back to clear? My problem is when they get old they seem to get internal cracking that you only see when the headlights are on. The ones that I had to sand the coating off of, just turn yellow but they are easy to polish back to clear.
    Some headlights get to the point where they won’t just polish clean, especially once they’ve already been restored. Cadillac headlights are notorious for being uncooperative in that way. If you’ve ever dealt with a Cadillac CTS you’ll know what I mean. Or better yet, think of a C6 Corvette and how those headlights are absolutely impossible to restore or even improve by simply polishing. That’s what the Cadillac lights turn into except you actually get an initial shot at restoring them, whereas on the Corvette you get no shot at all.
    [sanding doesn’t work on Corvette headlights]

I did this on my previous Cadillac DTS. But on these headlights you only get 1 shot at doing this. Once they start turning yellow again there’s no getting back to this restored look again. No 2nd chance it’ll ever look like this again unless you prevent it.

My headlights aren’t actually that bad, but they’ve been restored once before and just polishing them does next to nothing now, so they pretty much aren’t going to get any better than what they are right now. That’s why I’m considering other options. [the whole car is really dirty right now]

12. Likes DFB liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast