autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Installing PPF on Headlights

Is it the type of plastic GM used on the Caddy's and C6's?

I've been restoring the lights on my daughter's Mazda3 repeatedly for years. Each time the yellowing and haze appears to be just a form of surface oxidation you polish off and it looks clear again. Your description of those GM lights makes it sound like the plastic is corrupted all the way through.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I've used LaminX EON's ago...but back then, it was grossly undersized...
    It was a much different market for PPF back then tho.

If it's coming from Xpel direct, via the Xpel templates ,I would say you are at least 75% G2G with this.
    It's not full edge and will probably stop at the front flat of the Headlight. It won't be 100% full coverage

However, full coverage does have its drawbacks. There is ALOT of tension with PPF, and it may lift.
    Going around an edge and then tucking it minimizes those lifts over time, but it still happens - to repeat, lots of tension.

3. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Is it the type of plastic GM used on the Caddy's and C6's?

I've been restoring the lights on my daughter's Mazda3 repeatedly for years. Each time the yellowing and haze appears to be just a form of surface oxidation you polish off and it looks clear again. Your description of those GM lights makes it sound like the plastic is corrupted all the way through.
    This plastic is not very user friendly, the stuff they used on the Corvette was in a league of its own.

And yea the plastic on these headlights sort of feels like it’s corrupted all the way through once you remove that factory layer of UV coating. Once it yellows for a 2nd time it seems to be in the plastic not just on top of it.

5. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    This plastic is not very user friendly, the stuff they used on the Corvette was in a league of its own.

And yea the plastic on these headlights sort of feels like it’s corrupted all the way through once you remove that factory layer of UV coating. Once it yellows for a 2nd time it seems to be in the plastic not just on top of it.
    But can't you just sand it again? Part of me wants to believe you that Caddy and Corvette plastic is different, part of me wants to believe that's hooey because the Guide Division of GM is extinct, and GM headlights come from the headlight factory that all the other headlights come from.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    But can't you just sand it again? Part of me wants to believe you that Caddy and Corvette plastic is different, part of me wants to believe that's hooey because the Guide Division of GM is extinct, and GM headlights come from the headlight factory that all the other headlights come from.
    It’s not hooey… Iirc I’ve wetsanded & polished the passengers side headlight before and saw little to no improvement to how it looks now. The drivers side is a newer light so all I’ve done to that 1 is a light polish and coated both lights with Meguiars Headlight Coating.

I can’t get them any better than where they’re at right now, and they’re starting to get iffy.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so I got the Tinted pre cut film from Lamin-X. I installed 1 headlight today but it didn’t exactly go perfectly easy like in their videos.

Here’s before:

After:

I love the look, but I haven’t been able to get these folds to cooperate and stay down. I tried a heat gun and it’s freakin aggravating. What’s the secret tip to get this to even out?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I'd be careful with any tinting as it starts with mess with how much visible light you'll see from your headlights at night. Not only does it shift the light color to a less visible end of the spectrum, but by adding a colored film to the lens, it reduces the actual lumens being projected.
    These are the light tint and don’t really affect the brightness of the headlights. It did a great job of hiding any haze & imperfections. [I haven’t applied it to the drivers side yet]

10. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Eldo- check your PMs
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

12. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Eldo--what happened to your hood??

Post Thanks / Like

Installing PPF on Headlights

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Eldo--what happened to your hood??
    The hood’s been repainted and it’s in the process of failing. Those are literally chunks that have chipped off. Kinda gnarly as they’re not exactly smooth underneath at this point. All I can do is hope the surface will smooth out when the day comes to have it repainted.

At the moment it doesn’t really bother me. I can look past that imperfection. Especially since the paint guys hit me with the whole “we’re going to have to paint the fenders too in order to blend it in” story… I tell em I just want them to paint the hood, but you know how they are. I call BS and say just paint the hood, I don’t give a rip if you can tell the difference just paint the freakin hood and make it look good. Lol.
    But I’m in no rush.

You can see how it’s starting to peel just above the grill. Same thing is happening near the windshield cowl. I have to be extra careful whenever I wash the hood or risk taking paint off if I were to drag a mitt across certain parts.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast