autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Coating and Polish Suggestions

I’ve been a bit absent from this space the last 1.5 - 2 years as I’ve mainly been getting into my other hobby sim racing. I built a sim racing rig and have been enjoying that.

I have a new white hot hatch which I ordered a year ago arriving in a month or so and starting to prep for the detail. I’ll of course ask the dealer to leave it alone.

Being out of the game a little I’m not too familiar with current products. I know CarPro and Megs just released a new coating I’m interested in but there might not be enough time to wait for release. I installed Gyeon Pure on my Black car about 1.5 years ago and Gyeon Synchro on my wife’s. Both still going strong. Of the two I like Mohs the best and given the new car is white as well it should look similar. Is there anything else I should throw on the list? Is Mohs still considered one of the best options? I’ll buy the 50ml and do the wheels too, but maybe only one coat for the paint and no Skin this time. The car has some black trims and a glass sun roof. Do
    I need separate products for these? I’d rather not buy 3 different products. Any suggestions? Tbh my current glass has no coating and it’s constantly beading from washes and ceramic detailers as drying aids. Perhaps Mohs for the trim too and a dedicated glass coating? I think Gyeon a semi coating quick view? Maybe a full coating for the glass sunroof would be better? I’m not too keen on a full coating for the windows, but I guess if I bought one I’d do it. I’d like to get away with Mohs for the sunroof if I can though given I’ll have the 50ml.

For the polish I used Scholls S30 with a LC Orange SDO for both cars previously which worked great. Looks awesome and probably removed 90% of defects. I’m interested to try perfect finish or Koch chemie m 3.02 I think it is. I actually emailed KC about this a year ago and was told it’s for rotary machines only and not DAs. I’ve seen so many use it as a polish for DAs though… weird. Suggestions on a polish?

I have some Cure, heaps of eraser, iron x that is maybe 1.5-2 years old. Still good to go? I assume yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating and Polish Suggestions

A little back story first, I recently had to remove some nasty tree sap from my Mum's Qashqai, after doing some testing I thought it was going to be a complete Eraser wipe down job, but I started by foaming it with Carpro Lift, which removed pretty much all of it, but I did the Eraser wipe down any way. Here's the point of this little story, I then got to start fresh, so I polished it with Carpro Essence, which has amongst its features that it helps with the bonding of Carpro coatings. But I didn't go with those, I already had NV Lustre and Jet which I layered on. The end result was this paint is the glossiest I've ever seen it. I've also used it on the white roof on my FJ Cruiser, with the same NV coatings layered on top, it still looks good, and is beading up nicely, despite being parked outside 24/7. Essence is very easy to work with, goes on easy, wipes off easy.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Coating and Polish Suggestions

I have NV Jet which I’ve used before and is quite good. I also have tried NVs coating and tbh had a pretty bad experience due to what I believe was a faulty or expired item perhaps. I get it’s a great product and I got unlucky, but after the experience I had I just can’t use that coating again.

I’d try essence but I’m unlikely to be using a CarPro coating to be honest - unless the new one is solid and out in the next 2-3 weeks here in Australia. I could try the equivalent gyeon product which I think is called gyeon primer or something. That’s an option for sure. Any experience with that Vs a stand-alone polish like s30 or perfect finish etc?

Post Thanks / Like

I have used Scholl s30+, s20 black, and s3, they all worked well, although S3 eventually went bad, separated in the bottle, no amount of shaking worked. I've used Menzerna as well, I liked their Power Lock, but I only used it a couple of times. I haven't tried Perfect Finish before.

I've really liked the Carpro stuff I've been using recently, and I liked what I read about Essence, it added an extra level to my line up I didn't have. I liked that I didn't have to wipe down after polishing, at least as long as I did it properly you don't have to.

I get where you're coming from with products going bad. I had some Gyeon Wet Coat go off and leave streaks everywhere, it could have been how I stored it , but I haven't bought it since.

Post Thanks / Like

In terms of cut, how did essence compare to S30? I really liked S30 so thinking about just doing that again maybe. I kinda want to try something new though while I have the chance.

Yeah, hard to use a product or brand again once you have a bad experience.

Post Thanks / Like

There was less cut with Essence, but it is a finishing polish. It has light abrasives that allow it to remove medium - light defects, and it contains a quartz resin that can fill minor marring and leave a protective layer that increases gloss. That's from their write up. The FJs roof definitely came up better than before, but the dark blue metallic on the Qashqai is stunning. That could be down to other factors as well, it was in better condition before, since it is now garaged most of the time, and I really took my time to work it in properly. It was outside for the first 2 years we had it, then we moved to a house with a garage, so it gets to stay inside most days. The FJ is worth more, but its paint is harder and being silver shows less defects. But I'll be trying Essence on it soon, shouldn't be too difficult, lots of big flat panels.

7. Likes Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

CarPro CQuartz UK has been my go-to coating for years and I've been using it since 2.0 was on the market. At least a couple family member cars are still wearing an application today. It looks good, performs amazing, and holds up great over time and is reasonably tolerant to neglect.

I recently switched over to Pure EVO and Mohs EVO in order to give them a try. Right now, I think Mohs EVO may be pushing CQUK out of my line-up because it is so easy to apply. On our pearl white SUV it looks amazing and might actually bead/sheet water better than CQUK. Pure EVO looks amazing on my blue car, but it wasn't anywhere as close to Mohs EVO in ease of application.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    There was less cut with Essence, but it is a finishing polish. It has light abrasives that allow it to remove medium - light defects, and it contains a quartz resin that can fill minor marring and leave a protective layer that increases gloss. That's from their write up. The FJs roof definitely came up better than before, but the dark blue metallic on the Qashqai is stunning. That could be down to other factors as well, it was in better condition before, since it is now garaged most of the time, and I really took my time to work it in properly. It was outside for the first 2 years we had it, then we moved to a house with a garage, so it gets to stay inside most days. The FJ is worth more, but its paint is harder and being silver shows less defects. But I'll be trying Essence on it soon, shouldn't be too difficult, lots of big flat panels.

S30 is also a finishing polish, but it can remove 3000 grit marks but I’ve not seen Essence quoted a number. A garage makes a huge difference. One of our cars i coated with Mohs is now garaged full time and it’s not instantly dirty the moment I wash it and washing it is so much easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    CarPro CQuartz UK has been my go-to coating for years and I've been using it since 2.0 was on the market. At least a couple family member cars are still wearing an application today. It looks good, performs amazing, and holds up great over time and is reasonably tolerant to neglect.

I recently switched over to Pure EVO and Mohs EVO in order to give them a try. Right now, I think Mohs EVO may be pushing CQUK out of my line-up because it is so easy to apply. On our pearl white SUV it looks amazing and might actually bead/sheet water better than CQUK. Pure EVO looks amazing on my blue car, but it wasn't anywhere as close to Mohs EVO in ease of application.
    That is kinda how I feel as well. I’ve never used 2.0 but I did actually do a couple cars with CarPro Lite and Mohs was even easier than that. Pure was not too bad, but much more tacky than Mohs and Mohs was very easy. It looks and performs great on one our cars 1.5 years later after being neglected for quite some time. The car is also a white SUV, and I’m going to be costing a white hatch with the same color so I know it will be nice on that color.

Sounds like Mohs is still considered one of the better ones since I’ve been out of this space. I’ve seen a few random YT reviews pop up in my feed for coatings I’ve never seen before. What do you use for trim and glass?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rover137 View Post
    S30 is also a finishing polish, but it can remove 3000 grit marks but I’ve not seen Essence quoted a number. A garage makes a huge difference. One of our cars i coated with Mohs is now garaged full time and it’s not instantly dirty the moment I wash it and washing it is so much easier.

You're right, I think I confused it with S3 which is the one I had to throw out after it became permanently separated. It's been a while since I used S30, but I would guess that Essence and S30 are very similar in swirl removal, but the added quartz resin in Essence did make a noticeable difference on the Qashqai, but not quite so noticeable on the white roof of the FJ. You said your incoming hot hatch will be white, so S30 should be fine. White is such a hard colour to show gloss and reflections with, but worth it in my opinion. Here's a pic of my old Berlina after I tidied it up with Dodi Juice Lime Prime, but I can't remember what sealant I used.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast