autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Coating and Polish Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    You're right, I think I confused it with S3 which is the one I had to throw out after it became permanently separated. It's been a while since I used S30, but I would guess that Essence and S30 are very similar in swirl removal, but the added quartz resin in Essence did make a noticeable difference on the Qashqai, but not quite so noticeable on the white roof of the FJ. You said your incoming hot hatch will be white, so S30 should be fine. White is such a hard colour to show gloss and reflections with, but worth it in my opinion. Here's a pic of my old Berlina after I tidied it up with Dodi Juice Lime Prime, but I can't remember what sealant I used.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk
    Yeah it’s white and I’ve used S30 on white before and it did well. I guess I was thinking it could be a good chance to try something new, but I should just stick to what I know and not waste more money! I think my S30 is 1.5-2 years old, so it should still be ok.

Berlina looks good! I must say after being out of the space for a bit and mainly being interested in racing cars, I’ve become bit less concerned with how shiny my car is haha part of it has been that I know that I’m getting a new car I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating and Polish Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by rover137 View Post
    What do you use for trim and glass?
    Trim: If the vehicle is new, I'll use coating being applied to the pain and simply hit everything. If the car is older, I'll use McKee's 37 Plastic Trim Restorer. It isn't made anymore, but I still haven't finished off my bottle. I've found it lasts just as long as the Adams trim coating and is easier to apply.

Glass: Nothing. I leave my glass clean and naked.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Trim: If the vehicle is new, I'll use coating being applied to the pain and simply hit everything. If the car is older, I'll use McKee's 37 Plastic Trim Restorer. It isn't made anymore, but I still haven't finished off my bottle. I've found it lasts just as long as the Adams trim coating and is easier to apply.

Glass: Nothing. I leave my glass clean and naked.
    Car will be brand new. I was told Gyeon Mohs won’t work on Trim though. I was thinking of getting their trim product.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used CQUK and Pure EVO on trim of a new car and both have worked great. Not sure why Mohs wouldn't.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used CQUK and Pure EVO on trim of a new car and both have worked great. Not sure why Mohs wouldn't.
    Not sure, just what I have been told by Gyeon. I bought the Gyeon trim coating anyway as I probably wouldn’t have enough Mohs for the trim anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

All good, but you'll probably have plenty of Mohs left over. If you're applying it to the car pictured a few posts up I doubt you'll use all of a 30mL bottle.

I coated an Acura MDX with about 25mL, but I bought I 50mL bottle not knowing how far it would go. I was able to coat my BRZ with roughly 15mL of Pure EVO. I'm always looking for stuff to coat with the left overs. I've done daily wheels on my car and will likely do my track wheels soon too. Probably hit the wheels on the Acura too with all I have left over.

Post Thanks / Like

Coating and Polish Suggestions

All good, but you'll probably have plenty of Mohs left over. If you're applying it to the car pictured a few posts up I doubt you'll use all of a 30mL bottle.

I coated an Acura MDX with about 25mL, but I bought I 50mL bottle not knowing how far it would go. I was able to coat my BRZ with roughly 15mL of Pure EVO. I'm always looking for stuff to coat with the left overs. I've done daily wheels on my car and will likely do my track wheels soon too. Probably hit the wheels on the Acura too with all I have left over.
    Damn, I might have to do 2 coats then? I’ll do the wheels for sure, maybe they can receive the 2 coats. I’m picking the car up tomorrow interstate and driving it home! I’ve then got about 3-4 days off to do the detail.

I asked in another post, but wondering what order you do trim vs paint coating? Might not matter much, but the overlap and pushing products onto each other while wiping annoys me.

I saw that you used Mohs recently. Did you use Cure after? I asked Gyeon and they said no need for Mohs as it isn’t Sio2… which I thought was a bit strange!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rover137 View Post

I asked in another post, but wondering what order you do trim vs paint coating? Might not matter much, but the overlap and pushing products onto each other while wiping annoys me.

I dunno about everyone else, but I do paint 1st. trim 2nd.

It doesn’t hurt to get paint coating on trim. And coating trim is more of a precision step, but even if you mess up at least the paint has already been protected or at least layed down. That’s the way I look at it.

10. Likes rover137 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I dunno about everyone else, but I do paint 1st. trim 2nd.

It doesn’t hurt to get paint coating on trim. And coating trim is more of a precision step, but even if you mess up at least the paint has already been protected or at least layed down. That’s the way I look at it.
    Interesting point. I was thinking trim coating first as I’d prefer to get the paint coating on the trim coating than other way around, but your sequence makes sense too. I was thinking more I didnt want trim coating on a fresh paint coating, but I see what you mean too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12