autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Whiskey Fungus Removal- Big money in Bourbon country

This 2012 Silverado truck lives 1 mile downwind from both Buffalo Trace Distillery (Pappy Van Winkle) and Jim Beam. The whiskey fungus originates from the barrelhouses and it covers everything. This truck was really bad, especially the side that is parked facing the distillery. Here's the short video of the fungus on the truck and the finished truck:

I used Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss at high strength, then synthetic clay pads on a Cyclo polisher to scrub all the fungus off. Various brushes and every mitt and bug scrubber I had. The customer did not want to polish it. This is a case where you might clay the vehicle but not follow with a polisher. I finished the truck with DP Wet Seal.

Lots of cars and houses around the distilleries are covered with this mess. While it sucks to have to deal with it, it does provide a lucrative market.
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

2. Likes BudgetPlan1, SNP209, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Whiskey Fungus Removal- Big money in Bourbon country

That looks like a pain in the neck to clean. Does this pose a bio hazard for people that live near the distillery? I imagine the air quality must be affected.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting you should ask that. The distillery tour guides will ignore any question about the fungus. I think we still don't know if it is a health hazard.

Post Thanks / Like

That's wild! Never heard of it till now.

Great job on the removal.

Now watch...with all the dang products us detailers are tempted with watch someone come out with "Ceramic Infused Whiskey Fungus Remover"!

6. Thanks KirkH thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great job on the truck. I never thought about the fungus building up on vehicles. Makes sense though when you consider how it builds up on the buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    Interesting you should ask that. The distillery tour guides will ignore any question about the fungus. I think we still don't know if it is a health hazard.
    When I took a tour of the Jack Daniels distillery in Lynchburg, TN, our tour guide pointed it out on the tour. She talked about what it was and why it turns all the brick buildings black. We stayed in the area for several days and I remember the air quality readings being pretty good. Molds and some fungus set off my seasonal allergies, and I didn't have any issues.

All of the new barrel houses are painted black now and I wonder if one reason was so they didn't have to worry about the fungus making the buildings look neglected.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

It seems to me I read an article about people adjacent to Jack Daniels suing because of all the expense involved in keeping their houses etc. clean, I don't think they mentioned any health effects, they might have said it was killing the trees or something.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    It seems to me I read an article about people adjacent to Jack Daniels suing because of all the expense involved in keeping their houses etc. clean, I don't think they mentioned any health effects, they might have said it was killing the trees or something.
    I also do soft wash cleaning of houses and roofs. I think its something mobile detailers should look in to. It makes $200-400/hr. You can get all setup for about $2000.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers to a job well done!

11. Likes KirkH, Paul A., Rmd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    They are. I saw a story in the local news about the lawsuit while we were staying in the area.

I remember the complaints about the buildings, but not the trees. The area is pretty heavily wooded to include the property of the distillery itself and there were plenty of huge old-growth trees.

I think the lawsuit is interesting. The distillery has been in operation for over a hundred years and is a huge local employer. I think the fungus is just something you have to live with in the area. Almost like people building homes near an existing airport or a race track and then complaning about the noise.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

It is so funny that you posted this. I was just at Buffalo Trace last Thursday and asked the question to the tour guide - what is this black stuff all over the older buildings - whiskey fungus - I had never heard about it.

14. Likes KirkH liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast