autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Whiskey Fungus Removal- Big money in Bourbon country

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I think the lawsuit is interesting. The distillery has been in operation for over a hundred years and is a huge local employer. I think the fungus is just something you have to live with in the area. Almost like people building homes near an existing airport or a race track and then complaning about the noise.
    After I posted I went back and found the article, it was a couple that owns an old mansion right next door (250 yds) from a JD barrelhouse. They use it as a wedding venue, and everything (including the trees) is coated in the fungus, and they said even though they spray everything down with bleach, it comes right back. I guess when you want to take wedding pictures outside, you don't want gross black stuff all over the trees, even if it doesn't damage the trees (which I imagine it's got to). JD is building more barrelhouses in the area, which I guess is part of the problem.

But you're right, near where I live there was a dept. store that closed, and the site was vacant for a lot of years. Then someone else bought it and wanted to put a store there and there was a neighborhood hue and cry, and my thoughts were the same as yours, that you knew there was a big retail building there when you moved in, and now you're complaining that someone wants to open a store there?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    This 2012 Silverado truck lives 1 mile downwind from both Buffalo Trace Distillery (Pappy Van Winkle) and Jim Beam. The whiskey fungus originates from the barrelhouses and it covers everything. This truck was really bad, especially the side that is parked facing the distillery. Here's the short video of the fungus on the truck and the finished truck:

I used Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss at high strength, then synthetic clay pads on a Cyclo polisher to scrub all the fungus off. Various brushes and every mitt and bug scrubber I had. The customer did not want to polish it. This is a case where you might clay the vehicle but not follow with a polisher. I finished the truck with DP Wet Seal.

Lots of cars and houses around the distilleries are covered with this mess. While it sucks to have to deal with it, it does provide a lucrative market.
    Up here in Louisville, the home owners out in Shively are having the same issue with the Distilleries out in that part of the county. They are always having to pay to have people's homes pressure washed and scrubbed. Bourbon is so incredibly profitable right now, they probably just look at it as a cost of doing business.

Just subscribed to your chanel, looking forward to future detailing videos. If you get swamped with work and want some hired help for the weekends, hit me up. I enjoy learning new stuff from area detailers. I'll drive down to Frankfort.

3. Likes KirkH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waddell64 View Post
    It is so funny that you posted this. I was just at Buffalo Trace last Thursday and asked the question to the tour guide - what is this black stuff all over the older buildings - whiskey fungus - I had never heard about it.
    Did they answer you? Usually the guides act like they didn’t hear you.

Hope you had fun in our town!

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

That may be just a local thing in your part of KY. Down at the Jack Daniels distillery it was pointed out as part of our tour without anyone asking and everyone was pretty open about what it is and where it comes from.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you had fun in our town!

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    The answer was - whiskey fungus - a fungus that feeds on the alcohol vapors from distilleries. And that was the end of it.

And, we had such a good time that we will be going back - I will ask a follow up question on whiskey fungus when I return. I am currently in bourbon jail on EH Taylor for the next 85 days, so sometime in March we will make a return visit. Buffalo Trace was such a wonderful experience - they got us into a tour that included a free tasting. Highly recommend it to everyone - even if you don't like bourbon.

7. Likes KirkH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waddell64 View Post
    The answer was - whiskey fungus - a fungus that feeds on the alcohol vapors from distilleries. And that was the end of it.

And, we had such a good time that we will be going back - I will ask a follow up question on whiskey fungus when I return. I am currently in bourbon jail on EH Taylor for the next 85 days, so sometime in March we will make a return visit. Buffalo Trace was such a wonderful experience - they got us into a tour that included a free tasting. Highly recommend it to everyone - even if you don't like bourbon.
    I don't drink, I've never tasted bourbon except in food, but I am interested in it. It's fun to go down to Buffalo Trace in the morning and get in line. I go down to buy gifts.

For those that don't know "Bourbon jail" means that he can't buy another bottle of EH Taylor for 85 days because the distillery limits you to 1 bottle of Taylor every 90 days. They do the same for Eagle Rare. They take your ID and record your purchase at the gift store.
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

For those that don't know "Bourbon jail" means that he can't buy another bottle of EH Taylor for 85 days because the distillery limits you to 1 bottle of Taylor every 90 days. They do the same for Eagle Rare. They take your ID and record your purchase at the gift store.
    Thanks for explaining that.

Post Thanks / Like

11. Likes KirkH liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12