autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

What product : products slightly degrades the durability of a coating - wheels

Just swapped to snow shoes.
    Wheels are coated and I generally do give them a new coat before they go back on in spring.

Which got me thinking of the products I use on them

I mainly use leftover car shampoo for wheel cleaning.

I do use as as needed below:

I will do a iron decon maybe once or 2X a season
    When the wheels are removed, I do clean the wheels with some Adams Wheel Cleaner. Maybe some terminator if gravel bits is observed

For the winters, depending on how thorough or not I am with my upkeep on the inner barrels, if Wheel Cleaner isn't making quick work.......I will use Wheel Brightner to do a quick breakdown of the little crevices and such.

I presume Wheel Brightner may diminish the coating a smidge.
    Adams Wheel or Decon, I don't see it affect the coating much . All 3 are as needed usage.

I don't recoat my snows once coated, as they see minimal usage from time of ownership till the car is sold. I do generally recoat all summer wheels annually, mainly as they the -main wheels- and just shampoo is all I need for most of the season with the coating, even if I am maybe topping too often than required. If it saves me time cleaning wheels, then the small spend for the product pays off seasonally

ONCE coated, is anyone else -recoating- a bit more frequent than required, even if the coating on the materal/surface is more than sufficient for a longer period not requiring a -top up-

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What product : products slightly degrades the durability of a coating - wheels

I use Brake Buster @3:1 in my IK foamer and it works great but you'll need to use some type of brush to agitate them...no spray on, hose off wheel cleaner yet that gets them CLEANWhat product : products slightly degrades the durability of a coating - wheels

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What product : products slightly degrades the durability of a coating - wheels

[QUOTE=chefwong;1782746]
    I presume Wheel Brightner may diminish the coating a smidge.

You feel WB only affects your wheel coating slightly? Unless your diluting it a lot, it will destroy your coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah for something to clean THAT good it's going to kill a coating but then again, why would you use a wheel brightener on coated wheels, just isn't neededWhat product : products slightly degrades the durability of a coating - wheels

Post Thanks / Like

My Winter Wheel Setup is the OE Wheels. Add Big Calipers....and big rotors
    Not much room to access the backside of the barrel for the most part. Tight Clearances.

On this wheel, I suppose it is to shave wheel weight . Near the very back of the barrel, there is a running groove the entire circumference of the wheel
    So much buildup, post winter:summer tire swap in this groove.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
    I mainly use leftover car shampoo for wheel cleaning.
    I have a separate/dedicated/cheapy foam cannon (w/ smaller 16oz. bottle) for wheels/wells. if the wheels are really dirty I'll spray a dedicated wheel cleaner then foam over it (helps with working time and lubrication), otherwise I just use 1-2 oz.'s of car shampoo for routine cleaning...

What product : products slightly degrades the durability of a coating - wheels-20231113_142806-jpg
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
    My Winter Wheel Setup is the OE Wheels. Add Big Calipers....and big rotors
    Not much room to access the backside of the barrel for the most part. Tight Clearances.

On this wheel, I suppose it is to shave wheel weight . Near the very back of the barrel, there is a running groove the entire circumference of the wheel
    So much buildup, post winter:summer tire swap in this groove.
    By the sounds of things, having to re-coat the wheels after each seasonal swap may unavoidable. If the barrels get nasty due to lack of access, your only real choice is to hit them with the harsh stuff when they are off the car and then re-coat.

Can you only hit that groove which seems to be the problem? Do a surgical strike on the groove with the WB, rinse very carefully, and then only re-coat the affected area.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

This is where a product like WetCoat or 303 Touchless Sealant comes into play. Sure the coating may be reduced greatly but it's easy to boost them back up, even if you've gotta go to a quarter wash to do itWhat product : products slightly degrades the durability of a coating - wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    This is where a product like WetCoat or 303 Touchless Sealant comes into play. Sure the coating may be reduced greatly but it's easy to boost them back up, even if you've gotta go to a quarter wash to do itWhat product : products slightly degrades the durability of a coating - wheels

I have so much Hydro2. At least 32oz or 48+

Somehow I got it ingrained in my brain, that the runoff does affect the ability of tire dressings to properly adhere on rubber so I've kinda stopped using it.
    But yes, I often wonder about all the ++ of it getting into every nook and cranny with such ease

But it only get's this harsh chem when the wheels are off for the season anyhow, so I just reup with coating.
    it's cheap for me....as overall, all the other surfaces I can touch during the season does reap the benefits of the coating.