autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Water Treatment Options

Here in AZ, we have high minerals in the water, plus the sun, plus the heat. Basically, the water is awful.
    Because of this, I've been a Purtec Industrial Water company customer for 6 years.

They have a quarterly lease fee, (that's just to have the tank at your house), then they charge you for a tank exchange. When we first started, the lease was $58 per quarter, then a year or two ago it went to $68 per quarter. Now they just went to $109.00 per quarter! That's over a 60% increase, with no notice.

I need some new options on how to treat the crappy AZ water, not only from high minerals but being able to operate in the sun.

I'm open to suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Water Treatment Options

I'm sorry, none of the "prosumer" DI systems are going to cut it for your "industrial" application. You must have other water treatment companies in your area you can compete them against?

Another option is to buy the DI tanks and then find someone to regenerate them for you, the problem with that is you may have to ship the tank or bring it yourself. That means you need at least one extra tank. The up-front on that will be a lot and you'd have to amortize the cost to see if it's really worth it to you. FWIW I pay a lot more than $109 per quarter.

Oh, the other thing you might want to look at is just switching over to soft water, then you regenerate it yourself with salt from Home Depot. That also will have an upfront cost but should pay for itself in a year or two, added bonus if you use it for your whole house (presuming you work at home).

Post Thanks / Like

I think I saw a write up years ago on Garage Journals/Forums about a guy that made his own system for a fraction on the cost and it worked well. Sorry can't help more than that!!!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I'm sorry, none of the "prosumer" DI systems are going to cut it for your "industrial" application. You must have other water treatment companies in your area you can compete them against?

Another option is to buy the DI tanks and then find someone to regenerate them for you, the problem with that is you may have to ship the tank or bring it yourself. That means you need at least one extra tank. The up-front on that will be a lot and you'd have to amortize the cost to see if it's really worth it to you. FWIW I pay a lot more than $109 per quarter.

Oh, the other thing you might want to look at is just switching over to soft water, then you regenerate it yourself with salt from Home Depot. That also will have an upfront cost but should pay for itself in a year or two, added bonus if you use it for your whole house (presuming you work at home).
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    I think I saw a write up years ago on Garage Journals/Forums about a guy that made his own system for a fraction on the cost and it worked well. Sorry can't help more than that!!!

Thanks, Setec, I know this topic has come up many times over the years and have always seen the replies that "prosumer DI" was less than desirable. I was hoping that maybe over the years, technology and quality may have led to some new and improved products. Sounds like no.

I spoke to the company yesterday and sounds like they're trying to shake the little guys, the ones that have low churn on tank exchanges (that would be me). They said their cost of resins has gone sky high (as with everything else) and for every tank out there, they need to ensure a reserve (for an exchange). Needless to say, with the enormous semiconductor industry here (including two huge Intel plants), Puretec is the main game in town. He did say I could purchase the tank, and still have the tank exchange program, except I'd have to transport it myself. It's about 4' tall and weighs about 300 lbs so that isn't happening.

Thanks Sizzle, I by no means have the capacity to tackle that kind of project. Wish I could, I'd start the competitive business.

In perspective, 109 per quarter to save the pain on my vehicles is not a bad price to pay. It was just sticker shock. I told the rep that I'd press on and keep the contract in place.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    In perspective, 109 per quarter to save the pain on my vehicles is not a bad price to pay. It was just sticker shock. I told the rep that I'd press on and keep the contract in place.
    Wait, are you not using this for a business? If you are just using it for your cars than it's possible a CR Spotless could work for you? I personally got tired of dealing with the CR and had one of my outside faucets changed to soft water (I already had the softener).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Wait, are you not using this for a business? If you are just using it for your cars than it's possible a CR Spotless could work for you? I personally got tired of dealing with the CR and had one of my outside faucets changed to soft water (I already had the softener).
    No, we gave the business up beginning of 2019, this is just for personal use now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    No, we gave the business up beginning of 2019, this is just for personal use now.
    I use a portable water deionizer from Griots Garage. I'm using it with my pressure washer, but you can use it with a garden hose setup as well. It comes with a ~7"x24" tank and 13lbs of resin. It also comes with a valve set you can use to bypass the tank without disconnecting anything, which is handy. Changing the resin is a bit of a pain, but it's working well for me. Our water runs around 400-450 on the TDS meter. Having this has made it possible to wash my cars in direct sunlet.

8. Thanks LSNAutoDetailing thanked for this post