autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: CERAKOTE enters the Auto Ceramic Coating Market

Quote Originally Posted by PeteT19640 View Post
    What masks would you recommend?
    I’d recommend at minimum something like these. These protect from fiberglass, asbestos, airborne particles, etc.

I used to work at a place where they had us working with large quantities of herbs & spices and they supplied us with masks like that. Wearing them you couldn’t smell anything. If you took them off you’d be coughing uncontrollably in front of a large tub of ordinary ground black pepper.

They strap around your head, not around your ears like the ordinary weak masks people walked around with during covid.

I don’t like the ones with the breathing disc on them. Smell gets through those.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I tried to find a post from another forum by a fellow detailer who told me he had a successful life as a full time detailer for 30+ years and just recently “retired”.

He stressed to me more than once to take the proper precautions to protect yourself when you’re handling & breathing these chemicals day in and day out. He told me that he’s currently in the beginning stages of fighting cancer that was brought on from longterm exposure to the products he worked with.

The 1 question I regret not asking him is whether he worked in an enclosed garage or open air, but regardless his point still stands. There’s been times after applying wax/sealants and especially now that I’m trying coatings where they especially feel like they’re way too much to be all over your fingers for that amount of time.

Anything beyond car shampoo isn’t good to be having on your skin or breathing in. Most weekend warriors will be fine, but some of the ones who can be considered “prosumers” should take precautions, because everyone reacts differently and it’s better to be safe than sorry.

If it’s up to me personally, I would never apply a paint coating without some good nitrile gloves [not the cheapo ones] and a proper mask.
    First ‘real’ job at 14 was in friend’s family car wash. They used Carbon Tetrachloride as tar remover & we all carried 16oz squeeze bottles all day. Bottle empty…wander over to the open trough of Carbon Tet and submerge bottle up to your elbow to refill.

Guessing modern-day OSHA would have an aneurysm seeing that setup CERAKOTE enters the Auto Ceramic Coating Market

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gentlemen in the -trades - who take their craft seriously or at least their health seriously do PPE up. Not in the realm of detailing but eon's ago, I had some guys lay out self leveling cement in prep for tile work. They donned full suits + masks.

I've grinder concrete with a surface grinder, etc with no PPE - full on concrete dust in the nostrils if not complete dust face. In that moment of seeming those guys -PPE- up, I realized I should have done the same for the crap I've done that involves even much higher levels of direct dust......Granted the frequency of exposure is not something daily.
    '
    Ha, its similar to when you get a X Ray at the dentist...and you get the lead shield over you whole the technician runs -helluva- outta the room as the X ray is taken

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I’d recommend at minimum something like these. These protect from fiberglass, asbestos, airborne particles, etc.

I used to work at a place where they had us working with large quantities of herbs & spices and they supplied us with masks like that. Wearing them you couldn’t smell anything. If you took them off you’d be coughing uncontrollably in front of a large tub of ordinary ground black pepper.

They strap around your head, not around your ears like the ordinary weak masks people walked around with during covid.

I don’t like the ones with the breathing disc on them. Smell gets through those.
    Thank you when applying I will get something like this.

Post Thanks / Like

I ran into this video today.

NEW Cerakote Ceramic Coating / Review By a Professional Detailer - YouTube

He talks about the need to wear protection too.

Post Thanks / Like

This product has been taking a beating lately. It's getting trashed by a lot of reviews. Not a good start for Cerakote.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleanIT View Post
    This product has been taking a beating lately. It's getting trashed by a lot of reviews. Not a good start for Cerakote.
    Yes it is......Mike G and others did a podcast today about it.......hard to pin down the issues....

9. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't they make products for companies? (As they state) Figured their own product would be top notch out of the bunch. Thats too bad.

11. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll always wear the gloves when doing the coatings, but I did it because I didn't like the stuff drying on my hands and leaving a hard crust on my hands that was really hard to get off. Never really gave skin absorbtion much thought.

The mask you showed is designed to filter our particulates like fine dusts and liquid mists, does it do anything against chemical vapors? I'd think you'd something with a charcoal filter like you'd find in a gas mask or respirator to protect from any vaporous hazards.

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Rabbit View Post
    Don't they make products for companies? (As they state) Figured their own product would be top notch out of the bunch. Thats too bad.
    They make a headlight coating and one that is included with the Griots headlight restoral kit. It's a good product, but it doesn't come anywhere close to being a "permanent" solution like they claim. It lasts more than a year which is far longer than anything else I've tried, but it isn't permanent. Water behavior doesn't look like a paint coating either, but that might be a unfair comparison.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to believe a company with as much R&D into ceramics made a subpar product. Are automotive ceramics much different than the ceramics they already make?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast