autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thread: Wax preparation

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wax preparation

2X a year I clay the car, polish, then apply wax. After about 2 months there no more rain beading on the car. Can I wash and then apply wax, or do I need to do any other prep? Should I use my Flex 3401 and polish the car every time before I wax?

During the nice weather I use Souveran wax, and that durability is 4-6 weeks. If I polished every time before waxing; would that affect the clearcoat? So for this case is washing the car enough, or do I need something to remove more contaminants on the paint? Would an AIO cleaner+wax (such as CG Slick Finish) be sufficient?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wax preparation

Quote Originally Posted by tenreasy View Post
    2X a year I clay the car, polish, then apply wax. After about 2 months there no more rain beading on the car. Can I wash and then apply wax, or do I need to do any other prep? Should I use my Flex 3401 and polish the car every time before I wax? During the nice weather I use Souveran wax, and that durability is 4-6 weeks. If I polished every time before waxing; would that affect the clearcoat?
    I would just wash it with something high pH or alkaline to strip most of what remains of the old wax off, even a quick soak with a good APC of you're careful and then wash. You want to get the old wax off but I don't see a reason to get physical. If aggressive chemicals don't take it off it wasn't ready to come off and I think waxing over is fine. I wax as well, not many of us left in 2023, and typically I do a second coat 24 hours after the first. With any wax or sealant whether it suggest it or not. Even if it doesn't add it makes sure any missed spot is covered and just guarantees a more thorough covering in my mind. Makes me feel better anyways. Nothing wrong with applying the wax with machine just don't do what I did last time and use too much, easy to get carried away with the machine when waxing. Have fun!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

3. Likes tenreasy, Uncbrs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you polish each time that's probably overkill. I'll stack waxes knowing the lowest layer is probably somewhat worn down and likely being replaced or replenishing with whatever new layer I'm adding.

What about using Pinnacle Crystal Mist as topper over Souveran until you do your big application?

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk

5. Likes PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree that polishing every few weeks is overkill and not something you want to do to your paint over the long haul of ownership.

If you continue with the semi annual polish routine, I don't see an issue with simply giving the car a really good wash with a quality soap, and then layering on another coat of the wax. Your routine polishing should prevent any build up issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncbrs View Post
    What about using Pinnacle Crystal Mist as topper over Souveran until you do your big application?
    I was thinking the same thing. A carnauba wax spray should be a good post-wash topper which should extend the life of the base wax layer for quite some time if you apply it frequently enough.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I routinely use Crystal Mist over my cars that have Souveran. It’s pure joy to use
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

8. Likes PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I routinely use Crystal Mist over my cars that have Souveran. It’s pure joy to use
    I want a new spray wax may grab some.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.