autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Iron Decontamination on Plastic - PPF Staining

Quote Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
    I know it's best practice to avoid plastic when doing chem decontamination

The other day, I timed doing a chemical decontamination on my PPF *which is esentially the car's wrapped in plastic*.
    I mean PPF is plastic....
    PPF is known to take on staining from those guys using those fancy colored foams

Anyhow, I timed it right before a extended rainfall.
    Pull the car out of the garage, sprayed, dwelled, rinsed it off the the PPF and about 20 minutes later, it rained for the next few hours.

For those with PPF , are you guys avoiding chemical decontamination or just take special precaution with iron decontamination on PPF
    I'm not sure if this will help in your situation, but we recently had a customer come in with bird dropping etching in his film. So we brought it in the shop to see if we could remedy it. I hit it with some chemical, and even used a soft polish pad by hand - very lightly with 3D ONE. Had no effect whatsoever.

Then I remembered the boss saying that it has some seal healing properties. Boss also said to remind him that the film is doing it's job by preventing this from happening to the paint.

I pulled the car back out front in the sun. In the time it took me to explain things to him, the spot vanished. The sunlight always have activated the "self healing" feature of the film.

If you were to come in the shopnwith this issue, I'd have ya thoroughly wash and dry the vehicle and leave it in the sun to see what happens.

Outside of that I'm not sure.

The boss is offering to everyone in the shop training for window tinting and ppf installation at the end of October. I'll know more after that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Last year at SEMA I asked a mfg rep what the main difference between their PPF & regular coatings was; his answer was that for the most part the largest difference was that PPF coatings focus on ease of use (high spots on PPF are troublesome) as opposed to any other aspect of their formulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was thinking the PPF coating formulation is different to accommodate for -base- movement.
    Akin to when the bodyshops paint plastic/rubber trim, often a flex additive is added to the paint for best practice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joebruin77 View Post
    Personally, if I am not 100% certain a given product is safe for PPF, I usually email the manufacturer of my PPF (in my case, Xpel) and ask their support team if it is safe to use it. I have found Xpel to be very responsive to these types of questions. I trust the word of the PPF manufacturer more than the manufacturer of the product.
    Joe -

I have not payed that much into it....as I trust my shop and how he would treat issues
    Nor do I expect issues within how long I have the car
    However, for the PPF Xpel read of AGO
    Xpel made a warranty change in spring 2023 for new and previous installs
    The warranty is ONLY valid only if Xpel Coating is used on their film - which I get to some degree....they are supporting what chems are applied on their film
    With that said though....it's not like I have ever considered having such on my film but for those that may keep their cars longer than 3-4 years and have Xpel film installed, something to pay note of

Post Thanks / Like

It ended up getting 2 Iron Decon Process...

The 1st time, maybe the car was clean
    Day 1 - I did a High PH Foam Soak, wash and topper for winter...
    Day 2 - While putting stuff away, I spied the Decon bottle so I ended doing a full Decon Dwell and wash.

The only purple I saw was from the rotors...and not any evidence on anything that dripped from the paint.
    I suspected either my Iron Decon had *expired* - beyond it's usable shelf life...

2 Week later, I gave it another decon. The paint+ wheels were dirty as it hadn't gotten its weekly wash yet.
    I didn't care much for purple as I knew it had road debris on it already.....
    So decon wash and dry.

I gotta say, the previous decon definitely must have been past due as the run the hand over test, I can definitely tell it feels smoother for sure !
    I really got to get out of getting tricked into buying the Gal Jugs since it's cheaper by the oz.....

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I treat my Matte painted covered with Matte PPF car the exact same way I treat my non matte, non PPF cars in regards to prep work for coating EXCEPT no correction or polishing obviously.
    Descale foam, dwell, rinse
    Iron X, rinse - or light claying with TRC Clay Sponge if needed with IronX acting as lube
    Tar X where needed
    Oberk APC hand wash
    Rinse
    Dry
    Prep spray down
    Coat

I have done this twice now on the car, once every 2 years, and it has been perfectly fine. Companies and people put too much worry into the “PPF Process”, which I kind of get since a large cost and don’t want to mess it up. You won’t……

First go was with a PPF specific coating, GTechniq HALO. This time I tried GYEON Matte Evo as I love the Mohs and Pure Evo coatings. Time will tell, but guessing will be similar.

As mentioned above, PPF is more “thirsty” and you’ll use more coating.

When I recoated the Matte PPF car, since you don’t want to polish that in any way, I hit the PPF with a lot of chemical and dwell time to help kill off the Gtrchniq HALO product as best I could before applying the Gyeon product……and it’s perfectly fine.

PPF is Suntek PPF-Matte for anyone wondering.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12