autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Glass polishing...

My windshield is 23 years old and pretty scratched up. Since I have the Hercules forced rotation machine I decided to try polishing the windshield. I used a really stiff blue pad I got from a local paint supply store and Zaino glass polish I had in my box of stuff. I'm not sure what's in the Zaino glass polish but with several passes, working it until it dusted, it made a nice improvement. I didn't have an issue with splatter but it dusted a lot. I just used a blower to clean the car off.

2. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Glass polishing...

My daughter just had a new windshield installed by Safelight and aside from all kinds of issues with the poor installation the first thing she did was plop a corning ware casserole on her dash and scratch the new windshield

I am taking stock of what I have available and will see if I can knock it back a bit without having to buy anything special

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds bad.

5. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I'm surprised you got anywhere with the Zaino, I have a bottle of that, and I don't think it has any cerium oxide in it, so it's not really cutting anything, I don't think. I have found it takes a lot of work with a rotary and cerium oxide to really make a noticeable difference on things like wiper trails. I'd be curious if you have just filled in some of the defects with the Zaino and whether they will come back. I'm sure it cleaned up any stuff on the surface though. I can't remember if I ever used my 3401 on a windshield, I bought my rotary specifically for trying to get some wiper trails out. The women in my life seem to love to use the windshield wipers/washers on the winter sand grit on the windshield.

Mike Phillips has done several vids on glass polishing--I think everywhere he's worked, so that's a lot now, LOL. I always wanted to try the 3M sanding method that's sold at one of the auto glass polishing supply places online.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a lot of fine scratches. The Zaino didn't take out the deep defects.