autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Washed 3X in the last week

Gotta love the YT rinseless wash videos too. Guy takes a car that is barely dirty, demos the rinseless wash and claims it cleans well.

2. Likes chilly, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleanIT View Post
    Gotta love the YT rinseless wash videos too. Guy takes a car that is barely dirty, demos the rinseless wash and claims it cleans well.
    Isn’t that always the way?

There was an ONR video 10-15 years ago and they cleaned a fancy expensive black car that was absolutely filthy, maybe a Ferrari or Vette

That took some guts to do and to film but it sure made an impression

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

4. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    Isn’t that always the way?

There was an ONR video 10-15 years ago and they cleaned a fancy expensive black car that was absolutely filthy, maybe a Ferrari or Vette

That took some guts to do and to film but it sure made an impression

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    This one?

I'm still relatively new to rinse-less but have really started to enjoy the method. But there is no way I could do the above, for the paint's sake but also the mess. For me, I think there is a clear line where rinse-less is an efficient time/water saver, and where it becomes inefficient dealing with that sort of dirt and where I feel it would be easier to just get the hose and soap out.

6. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    This one?

I'm still relatively new to rinse-less but have really started to enjoy the method. But there is no way I could do the above, for the paint's sake but also the mess. For me, I think there is a clear line where rinse-less is an efficient time/water saver, and where it becomes inefficient dealing with that sort of dirt and where I feel it would be easier to just get the hose and soap out.
    Agreed. I did let my car get dirty, but not this dirty, to make a video to show my customers that using a rineless wash could get a dirty car clean but it’s not something I recommend. If a vehicle is even half as dirty as that truck I’m pulling out the pressure washer and drowning it in Auto Foam before I go in for a contact wash.

8. Likes chilly, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m going all out with my foam gun and multiple mitts and will probably take *hours* to wash it safely.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

10. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    This one?

No, the video I am thinking about is way older than that

It was a black low slung sports car

I will see if I can locate it

Thinking on it some more it was possibly linked to an old thread called something like "The Definitive ONR Thread" and it could have even been on Autopia

This wasn't long after ONR was new and people listed their formulas, uses, etc in one long thread that went pages and pages

People like Superbee (?) talked about multi towel methods and stuff like that

Gotta remember, I am old...

Post Thanks / Like

OK, here is the link to the 2008 Autogeek version of the original Autopia ONR thread

ONR: The Definitive Thread

There are video links that no longer work and it is probably buried in there somewhere

They certainly didn't use an IK sprayer or anything else other than a microfiber towel if memory serves me and I think they did a dunk, swipe, dunk, swish, swipe, dunk method

It doesn't much matter anymore as there are much better videos with better lighting and production values, it just stuck with me as I have said

I guess the main takeway from this is the hyperbole of a LOT of the product videos and having to take them with a grain of salt

Trust me, I have been sucked in and wasted enough money that I am cynical and jaded now and try to do my homework

Post Thanks / Like

If I lived in a dry climate like the Southwest or California I'd probably be more inclined to do RW's. But the weather gets sloppy around here so I reach for a hose/pw.

14. Likes chilly, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As fate would have it, this was a 3 wash week for me. I did a quick rinse less to knock a nice layer of dust off. Then I decided to create my own DIY IK E Foam Pro 12 which I’m rather pleased with and used that to give a nice foam bath and contact wash. Then as I was driving home from the gym this morning I got stuck behind a cement truck that showered my car with concrete dust. I wasn’t’ about to let that sit on my car so I gave it a quick touchless wash and here we are. Three washes in one week.

16. Likes chilly, Big Dave, Jayfro liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123