autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic coating question

I was thinking about getting my 2019 RAM Rebel ceramic coated. HERE is the question. Why is it, that one dealer charges $12-1300 while another charges $450?? Is there that much difference in costs involved in applying ceramic coatings? Also...I live in Florida where it books in a cool and crisp 95 degrees with sweltering humidity. I have a mobile service, ($1200), that will come to me...do paint correction...and apply coating...but doesnt the heat affect the results? Is $1,200 fair..or is it insane? I have so many questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic coating question

I think one part is, "what's really included?" & the the other is, "how much of the cost is just for profit?"

Preparing a vehicle properly, and applying the coating properly, and letting it cure properly takes TIME. Time is money. For $450, I don't see how they can wash/decon, correct, and apply a coating. probably doing a mediocre wash/correct with simple spray "ceramic."

I think a one step correction with true ceramic application would run like $800-1000 in today's money. Though there are newer detailers looking for business that might go lower.

$1200 sounds like it should be a 2 step with a high quality (2yr+) coating applied and maybe a 6 month or 1 year "decon wash & boost" service included maybe.

I'm in Socal where everything is silly expensive, but I did see you say you're in FL, so my post is based on what I assume FL is like versus Socal, cost of goods/service - wise.

3. Likes Optimus Grime liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If $450 is a quote for wash, full decon, paint correction and a quality 2 or 2+ year ceramic coating i wouldn't trust it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    If $450 is a quote for wash, full decon, paint correction and a quality 2 or 2+ year ceramic coating i wouldn't trust it.
    Throw out the high and low and ask for referrals.

6. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For a vehicle that size $1000 for a 2 year coating is reasonable and if it’s a 3 year or longer coating $1200 is pretty spot on. In some markets that might even be on the cheap end. The only way I can see someone doing a 2 year coating or longer for $450 and doing it right is if they are just starting out and trying to get customers and are willing to take a substantial loss to gain customers which I highly doubt is the case since that is a great way to go out of business. And on a vehicle of your size, that’s going to be a substantial loss. I call BS.

At $1200-1300 I do a 5 year base coat with a 2 year top coat on a vehicle the size of yours and I can charge that since I’m a home based detailer and my operating costs are negligible. Consider all of the extra costs a mobile detailer has; fuel, vehicle insurance, business insurance, etc. that needs to be accounted for when pricing a job. A wise man once told me that cheap isn’t good and good isn’t cheap.

As far as the heat it won’t affect the durability of the coating. As long as the detailer has shade it’s a non-issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Why is some mustard $3 and some $9. Why are some cereals $1.50 and others $10?
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Grime View Post
    For a vehicle that size $1000 for a 2 year coating is reasonable and if it’s a 3 year or longer coating $1200 is pretty spot on.
    Agree on both points. Considering how long it takes to do a full wash/polish/coat a car or SUV, I don't see how anyone could do anything close to a quality job on a full sized pickup and make any money on it. There are corners being cut somewhere.

For the pros: How long does it take for your to do a full size pickup? I'm in the neighborhood of 12 hours for a mid-size SUV to do a full prep/polish/coat job. I'd think a mobile detailer would be struggling to do it simply due to daylight this time of year, even if they have their own lighting.

The heat is an interesting question for a mobile detailer. I found trying to apply coatings in my garage at temps over 80F to be a real challenge. Polishes don't work right, everything evaporates faster (even in high humidity), and some coatings flash almost instantly. Maybe there are some tricks and products the locals have figured out to survive in that climate?
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

10. Likes chrt396 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Agree on both points. Considering how long it takes to do a full wash/polish/coat a car or SUV, I don't see how anyone could do anything close to a quality job on a full sized pickup and make any money on it. There are corners being cut somewhere.

For the pros: How long does it take for your to do a full size pickup? I'm in the neighborhood of 12 hours for a mid-size SUV to do a full prep/polish/coat job. I'd think a mobile detailer would be struggling to do it simply due to daylight this time of year, even if they have their own lighting.

The heat is an interesting question for a mobile detailer. I found trying to apply coatings in my garage at temps over 80F to be a real challenge. Polishes don't work right, everything evaporates faster (even in high humidity), and some coatings flash almost instantly. Maybe there are some tricks and products the locals have figured out to survive in that climate?
    I'm about the same on time. The last coating I did was a Volvo XC90 which is comparable to a Hyundai Palisade. 12 hours is about what it took. I started at 9 in the morning and finished around 11. Of course I took a little nap and did consume some food throughout the day so I wasn't working straight through but it was easily a 12 hour job.

As far as heat, I'm a big fan of GTechniq coatings. It was about 95 the day I did that SUV and I waited until the sun started to set to do the coating. It was still warm and humid but it was doable. It flashed quicker than other times I've used it but I just had to work in smaller sections. I like CSL and EXO because their application is about as effortless as it can be for a coating.

12. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm also in Tampa and although the heat is wicked to work in i've not had any problems applying coatings. I adjust according to the coating.

14. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably cutting corners somewhere in the process.
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast