autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

ceramic coating vs ceramic spray

I have tried ceramic coating but have never tried ceramic sprays, like Turtle Wax 53409 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating or Technicians Choice TEC582 Ceramic Detail Spray or Meguiar's Ceramic wax.

How do they compare, other than spray's durability will be significantly shorter?

In essence, I am trying to figure out, should I get car ceramic coated or stick to regular washing and spray application?

In the past, I have used Klasse AIO and FK1000p, but the time involvement is significant. Life is getting hectic. I can't commit so much time anymore, so trying to find some quick ways.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ceramic coating vs ceramic spray

Totally different.

True ceramic serum often sold in 30-50mil quantity is super high content sio2 with high quality carrier (solvent I think/VOC) with 2-5year+ longevity, high contact angle (110-120degree) for best water behavior/self cleaning.

The loosely used term of "ceramic spray" are water based, low sio2 content that will last a wash or maybe a few months.

There are some inbetween that might make it 6 months.

Which is best is up to each person and their life/priorities. I wouldn't even say it comes down to budget. Yes, you might spend $50-100 on a coating, but if it lasts 2 years, you might spend that same amount in sealants/sprays over 2 years.

As much as I love applying wax/sealant, and the look, ceramic coating just has too many advantages for me, so I've switched.

I care a lot about looks, so for me, the decision to use wax/sealant versus coating comes down to the color of the car. A white/silver car can be "touched" a lot without showing the fine swirls, so I'm more willing to use a wax/sealant/spray every wash or so. I love the look of polymers like in beadmaker, topper, powerlock etc, but they seem to attract dust for me, but on a white car - whatever.

Now, on my black car, I don't even want to breath on it lest I introduce swirls (esp those darn piano black pillars), so I coat it, touch as little as possible (blow dry etc). Dust will show up immediately if I use wax/polymer. With the coating (gyeon pure evo), dust isn't much of a factor.

I've actually coated my silver car too juste because I was able to get Wolfgang CSC for $16.50 (AG), but I'll top it with BM/slipstream (topper/OG/slick&slide) crosslink polymer types for a wetter look. It attracts more dust, but you can't see it on the silver car versus black.

I make sure to use the softest 70/30 MF towels/wash pad for washing/drying/topping to keep swirls to a minimum, when I do "touch" the car.

3. Thanks SixZee thanked for this post
    Likes Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you dont have the time to devot to applying a coating, then i would suggest to look into using a ceramic spray sealant or coating lite(can coat evo).

Look into armour detail supply ceramic sealant. Dream to use. Amplify from them is also awesome. Good for those after wash quick wipedowns

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

5. Thanks Prange thanked for this post
    Likes Prange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    If you dont have the time to devot to applying a coating, then i would suggest to look into using a ceramic spray sealant or coating lite(can coat evo).

Look into armour detail supply ceramic sealant. Dream to use. Amplify from them is also awesome. Good for those after wash quick wipedowns

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    Another vote for Armour Detail. Application is almost effortless. I’m itching to see how long it lasts. Amplify is great, too.

7. Likes opie liked this post