autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Griots 3 in 1 not lasting?

I'm having an issue with Griots 3 in 1 ceramic spray not lasting, 4 weeks and it's completely gone on the hood and roof of my truck.

This spring I did my first ever correction using 3d speed. I used carpro eraser after using speed because I wanted a clean surface for the 3n1. I did 2 coats of 3n1 12 hours apart. After about 3 to 4 washes with Optimum car wash I notice the water on the hood/roof stopped beading/sheeting completely. Also I notice the maple tree that I park under was leaving a tiny specs on the surface too. So I assumed that might be the cause. So I washed clayed and applied 3n1 again but tried to park further away from the tree but still getting some specs. However same results in a few weeks time. Then I tried my trusty collinite 845 and had the same results. At this point I gave up for a couple months.

Fast forward to one week ago, the tree has stopped dropping anything so I decided to try it again. Washed and apply 2 more coats of 3n1 and last week. Then truck went back to the dealer for some warranty work so it wasn't parked under the tree at all. So 7 days after applying 3n1 I washed the truck. The water while initial rinsing was beading and sheeting great but I didn't take a pic. But below is a pic after the wash. The beads are much larger and now have some water sitting in the middle of the hood. So it looks like I'm on the path of it not lasting again and I'm at a loss.

I have been using soften hot water in the wash buckets and rinsing with hard well water. The truck does sit outside 24/7. I will note that I also used 3n1 on the wifes Highlander this spring and it's starting to get pretty weak on the hood but still much better than on my truck. However her car is garaged and I've washed it less times and have used ONR some on it instead of all bucket washes.

Any ideas on what might be going on?
    Griots 3 in 1 not lasting?-pxl_20230820_132949505new-jpg

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots 3 in 1 not lasting?

BTW how to upload larger and higher quality photos?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for 3 posts in a row. This truck is also new to me. It's 2 years old and don't know what the previous owner used but it was buttery smooth and large beads of water when washed. However it was swirled pretty bad and I think it was because of the tunnel wash the dealer used where I bought it.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a chemical and/or mechanical decon is in order, also strong pH pre-wash or 2BM washGriots 3 in 1 not lasting?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Try a better product? I find most spray sealants im happy with for only about 2 months.

Give CanCoat a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes Klasse Act, CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If it's not lasting a month, I think there was likely something wrong with the process or something that prevented it to bond.

If you strip it off again or have no protection currently I'd use Can Coat. You'll be much happier with that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ws6guy View Post
    I'm having an issue with Griots 3 in 1 ceramic spray not lasting, 4 weeks and it's completely gone on the hood and roof of my truck.

This spring I did my first ever correction using 3d speed. I used carpro eraser after using speed because I wanted a clean surface for the 3n1. I did 2 coats of 3n1 12 hours apart. After about 3 to 4 washes with Optimum car wash I notice the water on the hood/roof stopped beading/sheeting completely. Also I notice the maple tree that I park under was leaving a tiny specs on the surface too. So I assumed that might be the cause. So I washed clayed and applied 3n1 again but tried to park further away from the tree but still getting some specs. However same results in a few weeks time. Then I tried my trusty collinite 845 and had the same results. At this point I gave up for a couple months.

Fast forward to one week ago, the tree has stopped dropping anything so I decided to try it again. Washed and apply 2 more coats of 3n1 and last week. Then truck went back to the dealer for some warranty work so it wasn't parked under the tree at all. So 7 days after applying 3n1 I washed the truck. The water while initial rinsing was beading and sheeting great but I didn't take a pic. But below is a pic after the wash. The beads are much larger and now have some water sitting in the middle of the hood. So it looks like I'm on the path of it not lasting again and I'm at a loss.

I have been using soften hot water in the wash buckets and rinsing with hard well water. The truck does sit outside 24/7. I will note that I also used 3n1 on the wifes Highlander this spring and it's starting to get pretty weak on the hood but still much better than on my truck. However her car is garaged and I've washed it less times and have used ONR some on it instead of all bucket washes.

Any ideas on what might be going on?
    Griots 3 in 1 not lasting?-pxl_20230820_132949505new-jpg

Did you clay the vehicle with a clay bar thoroughly beforehand ?
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It was clayed and polished this spring before the 1st application. The subsequent applications no. I've thought about can coat but I also like quick easy processes as I don't have a lot of time to devote to detailing.

If it wasn't collinte not lasting either I'd write off the product. I am probably going a little heavy on application. The bottle is almost gone and I've applied it to the truck 3 times, wife's car once, and my other car once. I'm spraying a microfiber towel to use for the application and then wiping off shortly after without much dwell time. I've noticed that the product never really feels slick after application, maybe just a touch slicker than a freshly clay bared panel.

For giggles this weekend I tried some TurtleWax HSCW on the wife's car and it seems to produce a much slicker surface. I notice that I had to work smaller sections than 3in1 or the HSCW was too hard to buff out.

Post Thanks / Like

Since 3D Speed is an AIO that contains a wax sealant, maybe the freshly applied wax sealant in the 3D Speed was not completely removed by the Carpro Eraser. As a result, the GG 3-in-1 could not bond properly to the paint. Perhaps try a polish that contains no sealants.

I have used GG 3-in-1 and have found that its durability is about 6-8 months.

Good luck.
    Joe

11. Likes MisterSnoop, CleanIT, Loach, John U, Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joebruin77 View Post
    Since 3D Speed is an AIO that contains a wax sealant, maybe the freshly applied wax sealant in the 3D Speed was not completely removed by the Carpro Eraser. As a result, the GG 3-in-1 could not bond properly to the paint. Perhaps try a polish that contains no sealants.

I have used GG 3-in-1 and have found that its durability is about 6-8 months.

Good luck.
    Joe
    Good point. I think this is likely the problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast