autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots 3 in 1 not lasting?

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Try a better product? I find most spray sealants im happy with for only about 2 months.
    This has been my experience as well. Griots 3-in-1 lasted me about 4~6 weeks. I've not been very impressed with the product. I can go twice as long with TW Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating, but even then it's no where near what I'd get out of a traditional liquid sealant and a far distant cry from what you get out of a high-solids coating. HOWEVER...I know going in a spray sealant is going to be short-lived and have specific uses for them. Normally as a stop-gap until I can apply something better.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

2. Likes Klasse Act, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That's good to hear on the TWHSC since I just bought some and have the wet wax on order for a drying aid.

Guess I'll also looking into Cancoat as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely give cancoat a try. Application is super simple. Looks great and lasts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I would add you could also be having an Optimum problem.

I quit using ONR after finding the car had more issues with road film bonding than before I started using it. While I like it for certain applications, overall I've thought it a bit over-hyped.

If I remember correctly, I think Desertnate also noticed Optimum Car Wash not playing well with his coated cars.

While the Griot's 3 in 1 isn't known for it's insane beading, I still had signs of life on the horizontal sections after a MN winter. You could see on the sides where it was compromised from bonded contaminants, but it would still bead and show some protection on the hood and roof.

Post Thanks / Like

I think 3 in 1 is a bit overhyped, but it's more known for its durability than great beading. If you're only getting one month out of it, I have to assume something went wrong in the process. Did you shake the bottle?

7. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    If I remember correctly, I think Desertnate also noticed Optimum Car Wash not playing well with his coated cars.
    It either leaves something behind that clogs the coating or it doesn't clean as well as others like Meguiar's Hyperwash. It might have the same impact on sealants, but it isn't as noticeable since you reapply sealants a lot more often.

When I used Optimum Car Wash on a coating, I'd have to do a decon wash with Reset a couple times a year to restore the water behavior of the coating. When I switched to Hyperwash, I never had the same problem. The coating would behave consistantly right up to the point it started to fail, years after it was applied.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I shook the bottle often, before every spray.

Interesting note about the Optimum wash. I'm about out and was planning on heading to Harbor Freight later this week to pick up another item and get some Hyperwash while I'm there.

Did you notice the same with ONR? I also just ordered another bottle of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately ONR and possibly Optimum Car Wash do leave residual polymers behind. But if you polished and used an panel prep that shouldn't have caused any bonding issues. I was not impressed with OPT Car wash soap. Hyperwash is better IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're getting rain, tree gunk is the number one killer of beading on most products, including full coatings. I've seen some coatings be quickly destroyed by parking under trees during some rain showers.

HD speed might not be the best product to prep with, even with the Carpro Eraser wipe down because it won't do much against anything designed to bond stronger to the paint, it's more suited against topical oils. Prep with a standard bare polish instead.

Griot's Ceramic 3in1 can be phenomenal on some paint, on others I've seen it fizzle out quickly even with proper prepwork. As suggested above, Can Coat would be the next step up in durability and performance if you're still not seeing performance out of the Griot's.

12. Likes CleanIT, Klasse Act, MisterSnoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ws6guy View Post
    Did you notice the same with ONR? I also just ordered another bottle of it.
    You can always use it for interior plastics or cleaning your hard floors in your house (what I use it for now). I do like it for underhood plastics (leaves them clean but don't attract tons of dust), but for underhood paint it doesn't tend to have enough cleaning power.

But as mentioned above, I won't be using it for paint anymore after the road film issue.

I also never liked it for glass no matter the towel I used it with - you'd end up with "clean" windows, but if you fogged the glass you'd see all the stuff that it didn't clean off and left behind.

14. Likes CleanIT liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast