autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Jeep Bumper - Dye needed, or just a coating

Hey all,

Just got my daughter's Jeep JL back in the driveway. We bought this for her back in 2021, and she has since moved out.

When first purchased, I coated the trim with CarPro DLux. Of course, now that is isn't home, it hasn't been getting as much TLC.

Here are some photos...I have done a thorough cleaning with a scrub brush and APC twice, and this light gray residue (not sure if residue, or just weathering) is not going away.

Wondering if this would be taken care of after prepping with a ceramic coating (don't know which one, but have been doing research), or do you feel I'm going to have to use a dye based product (aka Solution Finish), let that cure, and then follow up with a ceramic coating.

I am asking since I have read several threads, and would hate to just go with the coating, and "then" find out I should have used a dye.

Thoughts appreciated...Eric

Jeep Bumper - Dye needed, or just a coating-bumper11-jpgJeep Bumper - Dye needed, or just a coating-bumper22-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jeep Bumper - Dye needed, or just a coating

Solution Finish.

Then Over the Top.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

3. Thanks ejaf thanked for this post
    Likes Rsurfer, Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Solution Finish.

Then Over the Top.
    So, in your opinion, it has weathered and faded, and thus needs a dye based solution? I have been watching some "longevity" videos, and the review basically said Solution Finish was the way to go with dye based, but there were others mentioned (that I don't think are sold on here), which seem to restore trim without needing dyes.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Solution Finish was the bees knees after it did wonders for me on my car and 2 other customers cars. I also was expecting it to last longer than all of the above renewal products, after watching Brian at Apex. Then in only a mater of months it started fading in allot of the coverage areas. I'm sure if I had used a ceramic coating after the SF it would of held up. I found one I like allot but it's still in the trial phases. (Cera Trim) After posting my experience with both I have heard nothing but raving success with Cerakote! It's just not practical for me since I'm after the biggest bang for the buck! Doing this as a business.

Post Thanks / Like

This is why i moved away from coating trim. This is pretty typical of a ceramic trim coating as it starts to age. Once coated it is best to re-coat it once a year. What you could try is a magic eraser with some APC to see if that helps remove it.

Solution Finish is not a dye. It won't restore the trim like before as the ceramic coating is deep within the pores and won't allow the SF to penetrate and soak. It seems others have forgotten that solution finish does not offer any type of protection. It is a trim restorer. Thus Chris West came out with over the top to add that protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    This is why i moved away from coating trim. This is pretty typical of a ceramic trim coating as it starts to age. Once coated it is best to re-coat it once a year. What you could try is a magic eraser with some APC to see if that helps remove it.

Solution Finish is not a dye. It won't restore the trim like before as the ceramic coating is deep within the pores and won't allow the SF to penetrate and soak. It seems others have forgotten that solution finish does not offer any type of protection. It is a trim restorer. Thus Chris West came out with over the top to add that protection.
    I was wondering whether it was the coat, as compared to weathering. The fact that the DLux was on for about 2.5 years was making it question whether it was a true fade, compared to perhaps ceramic "residue" that has started to come up, but not easily. I look at it with jeweler's glasses, and still couldn't tell.

I can try the magic eraser idea. I would really love to find a very, very stiff brush, with really thin bristles (yes, that's an oxymoron).

Cerakote definitely is on my list, with some of the reviews out there. Just don't want to put it on, if I truly need a dye based solution. Which is why I am hoping some of you pros can tell me whether I could just slap it on to take care of the graying.

I also thought that solution finish was a dye, thanks for the correcton.
    Last edited by ejaf; 08-18-2023 at 10:19 PM. Reason: spelling, and more info

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a powerful APC first, if not then dye.
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ejaf View Post
    I was wondering whether it was the coat, as compared to weathering. The fact that the DLux was on for about 2.5 years was making it question whether it was a true fade, compared to perhaps ceramic "residue" that has started to come up, but not easily. I look at it with jeweler's glasses, and still couldn't tell.

I can try the magic eraser idea. I would really love to find a very, very stiff brush, with really thin bristles (yes, that's an oxymoron).

Cerakote definitely is on my list, with some of the reviews out there. Just don't want to put it on, if I truly need a dye based solution. Which is why I am hoping some of you pros can tell me whether I could just slap it on to take care of the graying.

I also thought that solution finish was a dye, thanks for the correcton.
    I found a trim restorer I like over the solution finish. I'm curious if over the top will be a good choice to add so longevity Mike?

Post Thanks / Like

Based of what Guz said about coating seeping into pores I would try to re coat it. If you can’t use something like solution finish maybe it would “reactivate” it?

Try in inconspicuous spot and see ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

. . . or just replace it with a "real" steel bumper like Jeeps should have from the factory.

12. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast