autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jeep Bumper - Dye needed, or just a coating

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_in_Chicago View Post
    . . . or just replace it with a "real" steel bumper like Jeeps should have from the factory.
    lol...know what you mean, but not sure if that is an option, since it's not really officially "mine". Although in the family, so it might count.

I ran a couple of tests. This leftover greying in areas is definitely the old DLux...If I take a pin, and go into several of the dimples, the greyish stuff comes out. Just can't seem to find a solution which works to get it out (understandable, since that is what coatings do).

I fear just putting something like solution finish on it as it stands today will basically just trap this residue. Need to find something that can gently remove it (I'm trying various cleaning agents, all water based, because I learned the hard way something like mineral spirits is NOT the way to go). The only thing I haven't tried is the magic eraser idea, which will probably be tried later this afternoon.

I tried some left over CarPro DLux on an inconspicuous area...although it definitely looked better, the jeweler's glasses inspection does show a slightly different appearance where the residue was left.

Wondering whether the products, along the lines of Solution Finish, actually do remove these remnants, or whether they expect the remnants to be removed via the prep step.

I'll continue my experiments, until either a) the test works to remove it or b) the continued experiments cause enough friction to remove the remnants physically

TIA...Eric. Great suggestion given by all.

Post Thanks / Like
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Have it, tried it...no joy. Not dealing with wax, dealing with an old coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ejaf View Post
    lol...know what you mean, but not sure if that is an option, since it's not really officially "mine". Although in the family, so it might count.

I ran a couple of tests. This leftover greying in areas is definitely the old DLux...If I take a pin, and go into several of the dimples, the greyish stuff comes out. Just can't seem to find a solution which works to get it out (understandable, since that is what coatings do).

I fear just putting something like solution finish on it as it stands today will basically just trap this residue. Need to find something that can gently remove it (I'm trying various cleaning agents, all water based, because I learned the hard way something like mineral spirits is NOT the way to go). The only thing I haven't tried is the magic eraser idea, which will probably be tried later this afternoon.

I tried some left over CarPro DLux on an inconspicuous area...although it definitely looked better, the jeweler's glasses inspection does show a slightly different appearance where the residue was left.

Wondering whether the products, along the lines of Solution Finish, actually do remove these remnants, or whether they expect the remnants to be removed via the prep step.

I'll continue my experiments, until either a) the test works to remove it or b) the continued experiments cause enough friction to remove the remnants physically

TIA...Eric. Great suggestion given by all.
    Solution finish will not remove a coating from the trim. It will also appear blotchy when trying to restore ceramic coated trim with solution finish. Which is why I no longer use ceramic coatings on trim. Shine Supply as a trim paint that you may want to look into.

Also the Mothers trim cleaner won't touch it so don't bother with that.

Post Thanks / Like

Clean thoroughly. Then Solution Finish and Over The Top.

Just like jerky boy Paulie Mys said!

6. Likes PaulMys, DanaDetailingPros liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    Clean thoroughly. Then Solution Finish and Over The Top.

Just like jerky boy Paulie Mys said!
    I'll probably pick up a small bottle of Solution Finish, and try it out on an inconspicuous area.

The "only" thing I have gotten to work so far, is using some Mckee's 37 coating (I'm recoating the jeep as well). The solvents within it seem to be working to sort of disolve left over DLux, and leaves a nice black natural look. I fear having the same problem 1-2 years down the road, however, but at least I'm keeping the bumbers from fading, since it isparked outside.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ejaf View Post
    I fear having the same problem 1-2 years down the road....
    Caring for exterior black plastic trim isn't a 1-2 year thing. You have to keep it up with at least two applications a year. Three is even better......
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

9. Thanks ejaf thanked for this post
    Likes ejaf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Caring for exterior black plastic trim isn't a 1-2 year thing. You have to keep it up with at least two applications a year. Three is even better......
    Excellent...I will get to see my daughter more often. I have been looking for excuses.

11. Likes PaulMys, Jeeky123 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be curious about the results. We may deal with the same issue in this incoming JK project. It's been sitting for about 8 months so it needs some TLC. We're getting new nittos, jeep wheels, and brake pads first before we do the detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to get good photos of this...

Here's the before and after. 3 scrub downs, followed by 25% alcohol wipe down, and application (1 coat) of DLux. Tried a regular ceramic, no discernable difference.

I think may be too a&* retentive; I have much more respect for you all making a living doing this

Before (definitely didn't look as gray as that in real life, compared to the after photo):

Jeep Bumper - Dye needed, or just a coating-bumper22-jpg
    After:

Jeep Bumper - Dye needed, or just a coating-bumperafter1-jpg

Also...very very difficult to get a representative photo of what I was seeing. I am happy with the results, and will heed the 6 month regiment. The fender flares, front cowling, and door handles were a lot easier; they do not have as deep a dimple pattern as the front and rear bumpers.

14. Likes Jeeky123 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast