autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's your can't-miss approach for salt in carpet?

I went to a janitorial store and purchased a gallon of product that works on salt in carpets. You only use an ounce for a gallon so it will last me and my friends a lifetime. Works well as I have been using for years. you can also buy spray products that work just as well for more money. your choice

2. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    As the title says, what's your can't miss method for tackling salt crust and stains in carpet?

My new daily has a fair dose of it on the driver's side that I've gotta address. I've heard of diluting vinegar into warm/hot water, what ratio do folks use? I've also heard of pounding the carpet for big buildup to help break the bond to the carpet.

Looking forward to some advice to make the task a bit easier to get through.

Relevant Tools/materials on hand: Carpet brushes (drill and standard), Tornador black, Carpet shampoo'r (full size Rug doctor style + little bissel spot bot), Optimum MDR (not sure if anyone's ever used it on carpet, just throwing it out there). Griot's interior cleaner, Citrus multi-surface cleaner. APC.

No steamer, though I've considered it (just so hard to justify...); no formal extractor.

I give the spots a good brush to loosen it and vacuum. Then I'll take a rinseless wash solution thay leaves nothing behind (N914) or similar. Take a microfiber cloth, dampen with solution and scrub the stains and let dry. I've also used resolve, dawn dishwasher liquid (use very little) or laundry detergent in water and make a solution. Don't make it so strong that it will Sud too much.

The best thing I've found is to use Husky liners/weather tech, whichever offers full complete coverage. You can remove them in the summer time.

I just got a set of Tuxmats. Way nicer looking, way better complete coverage and I can vacuum and wipe with rinseless to look new. They are not typical rubber looking ugly mats (google tuxmat ).

4. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sleper View Post
    I went to a janitorial store and purchased a gallon of product that works on salt in carpets. You only use an ounce for a gallon so it will last me and my friends a lifetime. Works well as I have been using for years. you can also buy spray products that work just as well for more money. your choice
    Funny you mention that. After I got the Salt Chisel, I kept thinking the custodial / carpet cleaning industy's gotta have a solution (no pun intended) for this. Found several options just doing a quick search. Next go around maybe I'll try that route.

Or if you ever want to freshen up that gallon maybe we could compare inventory and see if you'd wanna trade a few ounces to and fro.

Regarding WeatherTechs (or others) - despite the salt issue (mostly from previous owners and my lack of catching up on it), I prefer the factory all weather mats. I work on cars for a living, thus get to live vicariously through others seeing different floor mats in action. From most of what I've seen, I'm happy to stick with what I've got.

Post Thanks / Like

Slightly different design approach, but for mats, huge fan of the TuxMats or 3D ones.

On OP, have a full size extractor but I suppose investing in a small Bissel should do it.
    IMO, especially with textiles / interiors, I would think suck is more superior than *blow*....

If one invest in a full extractor, the sapphire wand is the extractor head to pair it with

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12