autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

PLASTIDIP customers chrome.

I’ve been noticing more and more people using Plastidip to black out the chrome. I will be doing a customers weathered trim tomorrow and will post the after pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PLASTIDIP customers chrome.

It's a great product to work with, make sure you apply only thin layers, once it's dripping you'll need to completely remove it & start from the scratch.

Very easy to remove it too, with no residue left. It peels like a rubbery foil.
    Flex 3401 & PE14

3. Thanks DanaDetailingPros thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danube View Post
    It's a great product to work with, make sure you apply only thin layers, once it's dripping you'll need to completely remove it & start from the scratch.

Very easy to remove it too, with no residue left. It peels like a rubbery foil.
    I don’t have the patience for those little thin layers and feather strokes.. After the 1st two weak layers I spray a consistent non stop medium layer across the surface and allow to dry and repeat for total of 8-11 layers.

I’ve never gotten good results when trying to follow their directions. And I’m usually pretty anal about following directions.

5. Thanks DanaDetailingPros thanked for this post
    Likes DanaDetailingPros, SNP209 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I don’t have the patience for those little thin layers and feather strokes.. After the 1st two weak layers I spray a consistent non stop medium layer across the surface and allow to dry and repeat for total of 8-11 layers.

I’ve never gotten good results when trying to follow their directions. And I’m usually pretty anal about following directions.
    Eldorado, how is the cleaning ( bugs removal ) withthe plastidip on it? Which product do you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Eldorado, how is the cleaning ( bugs removal ) withthe plastidip on it? Which product do you use?

Any product used on paint for bug removal should work fine on plastidip as well.
    Flex 3401 & PE14

8. Thanks Jackismydog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jackismydog View Post
    As Danube said, anything you’d use on the paint should suffice. I don’t use anything specific on it, just regular car wash.

I almost wish they did sell a specific cleaner for Plastidip because no matter how clean I try to keep it it the look does degrade a bit over time in the form of fading. Not too dramatic but it did lead me to refresh it with another couple of coats a few months ago. The initial coats in those pictures were done 2yrs. ago with Hyperdip.

Funny thing is, they tell you to spray lots of coats and end up spraying somewhat moderate/heavy towards the end in order for it to be easy to remove/peel off in the future, but when it was time for me to refresh I tried to peel it off in order to start new and it was anything but easy to peel off. All I could get was super tiny bits off at a time so I quickly gave up on that idea and just resprayed Plastidip over the Hyperdip.

Btw they claim you’re not supposed to spray Hyperdip over Plastidip and vice versa, but I found absolutely nothing wrong with the results, it turned out just fine. To this day I’ve yet to see anyone show the adverse effects of spraying Plastidip over Hyperdip.

After trying both Plastidip and their more expensive Hyperdip, I went back to Plastidip. Why? Because I found Hyperdip to be exactly that, hype. It’s not dramatically or even noticeably better than Plastidip yet costs almost 3x more and can only be purchased online whereas Plastidip can be found locally for cheap and produces the same results.

10. Thanks Jackismydog thanked for this post
    Likes bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally had a break in the wind to knock this out. Crack said it best!Just spray it heavy!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

12. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post