autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

LSP for Outdoor Parked Car - Beading Vs Sheeting

Added a new car to the fleet last year, and ran out of room in the garage, so one car sits parked outside 24/7....

Some things I've learned. Even if the car is clean, it just get's dirty sitting outside. Between airborne dust, garden lawn cuttings from everywhere, leaves, pollen, the almost daily Morning DEW, then dew that sits on the roof and hood until late morning in the summer heat, rain . Which got me thinking as alot of standby moisture is present on the hood and roof due to Water just Beading then staying as beads...

I can literally wash the car one day, and the following day, between dew and dust airborne stuff that lands on the air, the hood will just look not as -clean- the following day...with the dew sitting/drying/locking in the dirt that otherwise might have also flew off with the movement of air,

You know how most cars/dirty cars/not auto detailing nerd cars look fairly dry in the same conditions.
    Mainly as water doesn't bead on the surfaces
    We had some heavy rains yesterday. Stopped by 5-6PM . Plenty of water still on the hood and roof this morning.
    I spied other neighboring cars...hood panels dry as a bone..

Which go me asking. Based on the environment and the variables above, is there a LSP that doesn't bead but sheets waters more....relative to a non moving vehicle in the presence of *vertial liquid* getting ontop of it *whether it be morning dew or just rain*.

I'm kinda seeking the opposite of what most detailing guys want is the ask ? - aka, no beating

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: LSP for Outdoor Parked Car - Beading Vs Sheeting

If you don’t mind reapplying every now and then Dr. Beasley’s Nano LS-10 is a sheeting 1 year coating. I’ve recently switched over to this on my own car for my hood and roof. I’ve kept the sides with Optimum Gloss Coat/Hyperseal.

Post Thanks / Like

I just watched the video of LS-10 on it. This wasn't on my radar but I guess there are LSP that is marketed as sheeting...
    Here I am thinking universally all the detailing boi's like to market the word beading

Post Thanks / Like

The more I think about it, the more I'd rather have sheeting than beading.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......................

Post Thanks / Like

My truck sits in the driveway 24-7. Its exposed to all the same elements as you. Wash it one day and the following day its got a light layer of dust.

It beads when water hits it and its NEVER been a problem for my paint. EVER. No etched water spots. No nothing.

So IMO, this concern of beading vs sheeting isn't a concern at all. I would never want a sheeting product because there simply isn't a need for it.

6. Likes PaulMys, CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A good test would be to go and polish your favorite neighbor's hood out during the rainy season, wipe it down with IPA or a prep spray, and observe how long it takes for that paint to become hydrophilic enough to produce that nice water sheet that dries quickly after a rainstorm.

Typically, bare clearcoated paint if polished and clean is not hydrophilic enough to produce full water sheeting during even the heaviest of rainstorms in Orlando for me. Only when that paint builds up enough contamination it is capable of doing that.

I never found a single paint protectant that actually reduced the surface tension of the paint beyond what you would see from unprotected paint, and you would have to reduce that surface tension further in order to get the paint to be hydrophilic enough to produce that flat sheeting during a natural rain shower. That includes Dr. Beasley LS-10. Sure, you can produce a slower sheeting effect if you get up close with the water nozzle to flood the paint, but in the real world out in a torrential rainstorm, you're still not getting enough water volume hitting the paint at one time to force that sheet to flood on anything close to the surface tension that LS-10 produces, and you're going to get nothing but massive beading.

If your paint is clean and polished, then it will bead water during a rain. If it doesn't, then it needs to be cleaned and/or polished.

8. Thanks Prange thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's one helluva reply there Loach. Going to have to re-read and digest the content in it.....re: the level of contamination and that is why _most_ cars I see have no dew, nothing on it relative to -my issues- I'm comparing to

Post Thanks / Like

Sheeting sounds great in theory. But just as Loach stated it needs a lot of water to really put it to use. The other downside is the lack of self cleaning as in my experience sheeting style products look dirtier. They still bead but just not as tight.

11. Thanks Prange thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup everything I read says you gotta flood the panel with a significant amount of water for sheeting to work. Most of the time your not going to get enough volume from rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk