autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thread: Sonax BSD mixes

Post Thanks / Like

Sonax BSD mixes

Hey Gang

A while back when you heard more about folks using BSD, it used to be a thing that people would mix BSD with another product to help get the benefits of BSD’s LSP like properties but lessen it’s grabby behavior. I believe the most common mix I heard was with (Gasp!) a Chemical Guys Spray Sealant (V07 if memory serves).

I never tried it myself, but the other day when I was using Ech20 it got me to thinking - Has anyone mixed the old classic (BSD) with any more modern products (Like Ech20 or similar)?

Yes, I’m aware Sonax came out with their own Ceramic Detailer, but I’ve got a bottle or 2 of BSD hanging around, and thought it might be fun to tinker. I’m guessing there’s another tinkerer or two on here that maybe have played with it, or would be willing to try?

Does anyone remember what the ratios were when mixing BSD?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sonax BSD mixes

I've next played mixologist and prescribed to the rule of just using it neat.......knowing or thinking that X mixed with Z, etc - while may make application easier, but what is the result of changing the durability, longevity or cleaning ability, etc of said product

Surely the engineers who get paid the big bucks to develop this, if they could have made it a bit less thick with the same results, I would presume they would have..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
    I've next played mixologist and prescribed to the rule of just using it neat.......knowing or thinking that X mixed with Z, etc - while may make application easier, but what is the result of changing the durability, longevity or cleaning ability, etc of said product

Surely the engineers who get paid the big bucks to develop this, if they could have made it a bit less thick with the same results, I would presume they would have..
    Many solve this issue by simply mixing it 1:1 with demineralized water.
    Flex 3401 & PE14

4. Likes Azure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sonax BSD mixes

Try it… let us know….

I think mixing with their ceramic detailer makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I've cut it 50/50 with Meg's HCD, applied with a flairosol spray bottle and it produced some very nice beads. Pic below is the 50/50 mix on top of uber ceramic spray coating that was on its last legs

Soon after that, I applied meguiar's hybrid paint coating. I'm one of those guys that likes touching their car, so I like to apply something to the paint after every wash.

A 50/50 mix of sonax bsd and meg's hcd would be overkill, so I ended up making another concoction that consists of 3 oz sonax bsd, 3 oz meg's hcd, .5 oz uber sio2 rinseless concentrate, and 26ish oz of plain tap water. I found this mixture works well at maintaining the hydrophobic properties of the base layer of protection without masking it. Adds some slickness as well.

Below is a pic of meg's hybrid paint coating beads 11 months after application and being maintained with the homebrew concoction

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

7. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Likes Danube, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always used mine mixed 1:1 with distilled water. Sometimes when the PSN, wax or whatever topper I have on it is near its end I'll use it straight, but it doesn't seem a lot different then the mixed other then it doesn't last quite as long...

I'd love to find something to mix it with to make it a bit more slick, but then I think I'd lose some of the beading of the PNS etc underneath it...
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

9. Likes Danube liked this post