autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Overspray, thoughts?

Hello,

We just purchased a new family vehicle and unfortunately there were some nasty marks down to the panel around the c pillar area upon delivery. Long story short the dealer took it to a body shop to be fixed and it was ready today. While the deep marks look good the entire area they worked on is covered in what appears to be overspray or perhaps dust that settled into fresh paint work. Thoughts on the photo below?

If it is overspray a good claying (worse case scenario compounding) should do it, but if it is dust that set in while the impacted area was drying that concerns me a bit more on what to do.

Untitled by Sean C, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looks like Overspray, thoughts?

If the dealer sent your car to a reputable painter..I would guess it was painted in a booth where dust is not a problem.

3. Likes WhiteShadow89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That is definitely not overspray. In most cases, overspray is something that you can feel, not necessarily see. Claying and/or compounding isn't going to do anything to improve that finish.

I'm not going to speculate on the actual cause, there could be many, but I can't believe any reputable shop would send a car out the door with a finish like that. The only way I can see even a chance of improving that finish to an acceptable level would be by wet sanding and that comes with its own risks and is no guarantee.

Is this a brand new car? Or used?

Either way, I'd be heading back to the dealer and letting them know that the repair is totally unacceptable. Too late now, but I would have never taken delivery.

5. Likes WhiteShadow89, Karl_in_Chicago, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It sort of looks like mild solvent pop to me.

7. Likes WhiteShadow89, Icarus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    That is definitely not overspray. In most cases, overspray is something that you can feel, not necessarily see. Claying and/or compounding isn't going to do anything to improve that finish.

I'm not going to speculate on the actual cause, there could be many, but I can't believe any reputable shop would send a car out the door with a finish like that. The only way I can see even a chance of improving that finish to an acceptable level would be by wet sanding and that comes with its own risks and is no guarantee.

Is this a brand new car? Or used?

Either way, I'd be heading back to the dealer and letting them know that the repair is totally unacceptable. Too late now, but I would have never taken delivery.
    I was hopeful this was overspray, not familiar with how it can look as I don’t see it but I am familiar with how to remove it. I was fearful it was something worse in the finishing process which unfortunately it appears to be.

This is a new car. I already let the dealer know yesterday and I should be getting a call today from their sales manager. I am not happy with the work after waiting a week and I am not happy with how my wife’s new car was treated either by this body shop. I know a body shop that does flawless paintwork and will be pushing for my wife’s new car to go there since this doesn’t seem like a very simple fix.

Post Thanks / Like

That looks horrible. Take the vehicle back to the dealer to be fixed again or file a lemon law claim.

Rsurfer, a paint booth doesn't eliminate dust, it merely reduces dust. Tack cloths and other tricks help as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DUBL0WS6 View Post
    That looks horrible. Take the vehicle back to the dealer to be fixed again or file a lemon law claim.

Rsurfer, a paint booth doesn't eliminate dust, it merely reduces dust. Tack cloths and other tricks help as well.
    Did I say it eliminated dust?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    If the dealer sent your car to a reputable painter..I would guess it was painted in a booth where dust is not a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by DUBL0WS6 View Post

DUBLOWS6 comment is absolutely correct. Heck, even factory finishes will have a few dust specks from time-to-time and they are painted in an environment that is as close to perfect as possible.

In the refinishing world, even if the spray booth and it's circulation system is operating perfectly, when you put a car into the booth you are introducing contaminants from the outside environment, the painter, and the car itself, into the booth and those contaminants can make their way into the finish.

100% dust free is only achieved by a very thorough process -AND- a little luck.

12. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In any event, this would need to be re-done ..!
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to provide an update. Got a call yesterday. I was given two options, use their body shop to have this re-done or since I know a shop that has done great work for me in the past I could go there. I will be going with the shop I have worked with in the past.

Thank you for offering insight to confirm this is indeed not something small or over spray.

15. Thanks 2black1s thanked for this post